Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:00 pm 

bcrider, I notice you have a fair amount of extra material below the fulcrum point of your modified highback, does that interfere when collapsing the highback (folding it down)? I imagine you created a new fulcrum point for proper alignment with the missionary by redrilling, correct?

Also, did you have to use a non burton ladder to attach them to this system (mount holes through the base of the ladder) or did you mod by drilling your own holes through the burton ladder?

I'm happy with the missionary highbacks at the moment (i did use the padding kit have a pretty well used soft boot where I felt the hotspot) but your mod is good info for the future if I end up trying something with a burton highback/straps.

I never have really been a Mervin binding fan (always rode burton binders/boots) but have to say I was surprised how much I didn't mind the Mervin minimalist system. Until it shows me serious drawbacks I'll continue to ride these Sparks stock. fwiw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:52 pm 

DentalFlossTycoon wrote:
bcrider, I notice you have a fair amount of extra material below the fulcrum point of your modified highback, does that interfere when collapsing the highback (folding it down)? I imagine you created a new fulcrum point for proper alignment with the missionary by redrilling, correct?

Also, did you have to use a non burton ladder to attach them to this system (mount holes through the base of the ladder) or did you mod by drilling your own holes through the burton ladder?

I'm happy with the missionary highbacks at the moment (i did use the padding kit have a pretty well used soft boot where I felt the hotspot) but your mod is good info for the future if I end up trying something with a burton highback/straps.

I never have really been a Mervin binding fan (always rode burton binders/boots) but have to say I was surprised how much I didn't mind the Mervin minimalist system. Until it shows me serious drawbacks I'll continue to ride these Sparks stock. fwiw.

Yes I need to finish modding the highback so it folds down. I held off just in case I didn't like them on the Sparks (once cut they can not be used on the burton baseplates again.

I used the existing hole on the heel cup to attach the highback and in-step strap in the same manner that the BM's attach. Easy.

For the ladder, I just made the burton ladder flush and drilled through it.

Re Mervin's design philosophy and minimalist approach. For splitboarding this works well which is partly why I think Will went with them. I'm all for simple and minimal but I also like functional tech. One thing BM could use (across their line) is better, self-locking hardware (or longer screws).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:01 pm 

I'm with ya there - almost too "Ace Hardware" of a design in that regard.

my nylocks continue to back off a bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm 

which year C60's are those? have they changed for this year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:16 pm 

Will, again nice job. I was out with Don from Voile who used a pair on a tour yesterday. I liked the look of them and the weight is outstanding. He did have one nut come loose on one of the straps. A minor issue. If they last the test of numerous long days of use you'll have a winner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:17 am 

If the biggest complaint you guys have is about the hardware I can deal with that! I would think a little loctite would help any slippery bolts. I may be able to put together a better fastener kit and put that out too it they are really annoying. The flip side about the ace hardware design is that you guys can just go down to ace hardware and buy spares, when binders come with all custom hardware and you lose or break something it can be a real pain to get new ones. Anway, time to get stuffed on mom's cooking and read stories to little kids. Merry Christmas everybody!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:54 pm 

Oh yeah, I can't wait to get mine!!!!! Let me know when to send payment for a full pair Will!

Thanks brother,
Blue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:02 am 

Took the Ignitions out for 2 days of pow. I'm totally stoked. I have C60's, and I prefer the Bent Metal highback, no need for me to dink with the stock highbacks. I dig the quick forward lean adjustment (C60's don't have this capability)- there's no need to compromise on setting one single angle for the ups and downs. I love toe cap straps, but the Bent Metal straps are very comfy and plush. The new Driver X is soooo stiff that there's no way for there to be any hot spots on the highback for me. I also like the highback flex I get from these rather than the ultra stiff carbon on the C60's.
Don't like the slider pin cord, removed them right away, and I run my pins opposite of the way the Sparks guys set them up from the shop. Impossible to put the rear foot pin in when you run a + angle on the back foot- the climbing bar block is in the way (not an issue for a duck rider). I do want to carry spare pins (they are L/R specific, so spare parts require 2 pins) as I could foresee losing one.

Great weight difference, especially noticeable (1 whole lb!) on the downs for me- hop turns etc!

Will you rock Bro, thanks much, this is my go to set up now doooooooooood :!:
:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:12 am 

Will wrote:
If the biggest complaint you guys have is about the hardware I can deal with that! I would think a little loctite would help any slippery bolts. I may be able to put together a better fastener kit and put that out too it they are really annoying. The flip side about the ace hardware design is that you guys can just go down to ace hardware and buy spares, when binders come with all custom hardware and you lose or break something it can be a real pain to get new ones. Anway, time to get stuffed on mom's cooking and read stories to little kids. Merry Christmas everybody!

Well, hardly a comment on your design Will, I back this system 100%. I speak of the hardware that holds the straps on only, the heel cup to baseplate u bolts are holdin tight. And indeed, It''s a plus to have the simplicity where I can get spares/replacements from my local hardware store - which will certainly cost a lot less than a hardware specific part made by the manufacturer.

Once again, great job on this design!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:20 pm 

Alright I'm back from Minnesota, recharged and ready to crank production. To those of you that emailed me last week I'll get back at ya in the next few days once I dig out my inbox, it overfloweth. Have a happy new year everybody!

Cheers,
Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:27 pm 

Gave up on getting any decent snow at home & travelled to get some. 2 1/2 days of amazing dumps & breaking trail. Not huge vert-days but plenty of workout in the new binders.

Not sure if its my imagination or what - but - it seems like its easier with the Ignitions to break trail in deep powder. With heel risers up it seems like the tips come up & break through to the top easier than the old conventional plate/binder rig. Maybe its because the toe is attached directly & at lower aspect to the board than the old set-up??? Anyone else notice this?

Like the pins & the way they latch in.
No hot spots at all in 3 yr. old Nitro boots.
Highbacks are as good or better than my old Rides.

So far - no issues I can see - but then I'm old & slow & don't see so well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:19 am 

Lost a nut off the toe strap yesterday right before dropping. I didn't have an extra one or a very good repair kit (zip ties) so I rigged some bungee cord I stole off of my beacon. Worked well enough to get me down and up for another lap.

I guess its my own fault for not constantly checking the nuts but I think I'll look for some longer screws and get the repair kit more in line too.

Still lovin the performance and weight savings, they seem to be getting more broken in as well (getting them on and off the pucks).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:58 am 

Arrrgh! Be sure to check that hardware often since it likes to loosen up. I'll get something else worked out for future versions. In the meantime grab some blue loctite from the hardware store (or red if you really want it on there). The nut is an M6 x 1 (metric), get one with the vinyl insert so it's less likely to rattle loose. Are those burton parts thicker so you couldn't fully get the nut on there?

I'm glad you're pumped on the performance, I am too :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next