Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:03 pm 

As much as I would like to write a huge review, I don't have a whole lot of experiance on the voile sliders to make a comparison to. I am very satisfied though. Straight out of the box I had no issues. A little tight, but I decided not to do any sanding and let it wear naturally. Five days and several thousand feet or so no problems... No loosening hardwear, hot spots, rivets scratching my top sheet,, nothing.

I'd like to give WIll huge props for a little good ol fashioned customer service. After recieving an E-mail telling me the next batch would be shipped the following week, I e-mailed back to let him know I was going on a hut trip the same week. I got a phone call the same day, and had my binders well before I left. I got my mismatched punky brester setup, and a copy of return to schralptown to boot.

Post subject: Rode my Spark Ignitions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:55 am 

Rode my bindings in a little over foot of fresh snow this weekend. My experience are pretty much the same great stuff as everyone else.

There are an excellent binding. They stiffen up the flex and dramatically increase the responsiveness of my Khyber 160. I have new boots and no hotspots.

Some thoughts -
1. I had some minor snow packing on the baseplate like everyone else (with the default, red... so it's not just the anodized ones), but it didn't bother me much.

2. I did notice the toe straps release very easily, even with my straps on the inside in ride mode. I have a spare pair of Burton capstraps that I am going to install on mine (already modified them for a pair of Bent Metal bindings that I already have)

Setup stuff

1. I did sand my pucks a bit to get the bindings to slide on easily.

2. I have the bindings reversed because I just a positive angle in the back foot. No problems there

Overall... VERY HAPPY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:03 pm 

Friday I messed with my split getting it ready for the weekend. I decided to rub some wax on the baseplates of my bindings to help with snow/ice build up. I also made some custom leashes for my Ignitions:

You can see the wax on my baseplates- this 60 second application was enough to last me 2 full days. No more icing, imagine that? :roll:

Used the new leashes and they work perfectly. We've all got our own unique way we like things, and I'm really digging this set up.

Thanks again Will :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:01 pm 

So I got my pair last friday. Dropped 1.4Lbs off my now old setup that weighed about 6 so close to 25% savings in weight.

I did have some icing issues and so today tried waxing them and did not seem to help much, maybe a little.

As for stiffness getting them on and off I have not had much of a problem. But my pucks are not new and the first outing I greased everything up with Bomber Butter. Which is what I do with new pucks. That makes things smoother until they get worn in.

So far I am really stoked on these bindings.

Thanks go out to Will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:42 pm 

Finally able to take my new ignitions for a spin in the South Lake Tahoe backcountry. New setup is much lighter. Skinning is a whole new experience - There is much more sideways stability since the bindings sit snuggly around, instead of on top of, the riser/heel plate. As for riding - no complaints there. I did not notice any improved control, but i'm still dialing in my binding angles and stance, so that may improve...

I kept the setup as sent - no reversals or changes. Rear foot at 3º showed no problems with the pin. I like the leash system, by the way, and had no issues with the straps unbuckling.

In short...

LOVE the new binders!

Only gripe is with the graphic on the highback - kinda freaky. My sweetie said the bloody guy looks like the suspect in the Lisbon kidnapping case, and she's right...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/329 ... ct-picture

-underground

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:23 pm 

Finally got to ride them!! Jim was borrowing mine on the East Side because they were hurting my heels w/o the extra foam. I have 5 year old Northwaves and they have a big honkin' kink where they make contact with the binding and they are beyond packed out. They felt fine when I tried them around the house, but with the heel risers up on my board I was in agony. So jimw borrowed them when he broke his board. & don't blame him - the dude was still in mourning for his Burton when he tried them.

I installed the xtra foam Will shipped them with and they felt great, even in my old boots. I don't know if it's luck, but with the heel cup back to accomodate my size 11 boots, the toe ramp seemed to be a pretty good spot for me. I toured hard for four days with the ignitions mounted on a 166 mojo and and it is a freaking awesome setup. So light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:01 am 

i've only got one short tour on 'em, but ignition's kick ass. the ride is so much better! they were perfect right out of the box. i did take extra time (washed down with a few extra oak creek nut browns!) to adjust every little thing. the quick adjust screw is gonna go, i can see getting stuck in the bc 'cuz of this. no icing problems. and no hot spots!

thanks will :thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:39 pm 

:shock: What a difference. After four days I cant say anything but HELL YEAH

Will good job man. I feel like I added 25% to my range

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:26 pm 

No problem with pin release with them tucked inside the strap as Will suggested.

BTW: are the Toe straps meant to be used as either toe or cap straps? I really like my Burton caps. I've been riding these set up as Caps and they seem to work fine that way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:30 am 

Just a quick note to say that adding the puck gaskets has helped tremendously in terms of sliding the bindings off and on. Booya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:51 am 

:shock: Yipes! The binders were designed around pucks with gaskets per the stock voile setup. Without gaskets there's not enough clearance for the rivets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:14 pm 

Will wrote:
:shock: Yipes! The binders were designed around pucks with gaskets per the stock voile setup. Without gaskets there's not enough clearance for the rivets.

Guess I didn't get the memo. :)
I don't typically use the gaskets...

That would explain why I was playing a game of tug-of-war every time I transitioned. Much better now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:51 am 

Doh! That might explain some similar issues others were having. I was planning on setting up the new board w/o the gaskets, since in my previous experiment converting the Burton to Voile, it seemed to work better w/o the gaskets (and didn't matter for Voile slider plate clearance)... May want to add a note about this on the splitboard setup page on the blog. :idea:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next