Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - are they crazy $$$

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: are they crazy $$$
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:10 am 

whats w the splitboard companies charging exorbitant prices for bindings?
are they made outta CARBON ? NO
are they made outta titanium ? NO

are we CEO's that make 100k a year ? NO

hardware should be reasonably priced NOT KEYSTONED TO BE A RIP_OFF!

get a clue no bindings should cost more then 150$

Post subject: Re: are they crazy $$$
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:59 am 

Then make them yourself!

Do you really think Will at Spark spends his summers tanning on the beach in Riviera with all his millions? You need an attitude adjustment. Stop trolling. :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:51 pm 

starspliter wrote:
whats w the splitboard companies charging exorbitant prices for bindings?
are they made outta CARBON ? NO
are they made outta titanium ? NO

are we CEO's that make 100k a year ? NO

hardware should be reasonably priced NOT KEYSTONED TO BE A RIP_OFF!

get a clue no bindings should cost more then 150$

are they made in the USA? YES

are they employing Americans at a reasonable wage? YES

are there splitboarders making splitboard bindings? YES

I'm no CEO, I'm a ski bum server in a restaurant. I save and spend my money on these products rather than some garbage put together in China by who the fuck knows. I've got a clue, I talk directly with the guy who hand makes my bindings and I'm happy to pay the $580.

Maybe you should talk directly to John(Phantom), Will(Spark), and the Kloster's(Karakoram) before you shit talk the way they are trying to make quality products and a living doing what they love.

Cool boards by the way Starsplitter, want to sell me one for $200?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:23 pm 

You gotta be kidding me :scratch: , I have a tremendous amount of respect for the binding manufacturers and their products. If you are having a problem with their pricing, its completely within reason (and a bargain IMHO) when compared to prices for season passes.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:31 am 

They do cost a lot, but i'm not sure if these guy's are racking it in or not. Pricing your products from the manufacturers perspective seems to be this; how high can i go until people simply will not pay... Its all about sustaining your place in the market I imagine (not being an innovator or manufacturer myself) its a lot of work to run a small business in manufacturing.
More power to the phantoms,sparks and K's out there i may not be buying your products any time soon due to $$$$. Nice to know when i get some $$$ that people a striving to innovate and produce products i can invest in.

Otherwise I'd still be wallowing on snowshoes, remember that shit?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:06 am 

Maybe good reading for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

They are charging what people are willing to pay for their product. I am not sure where you get the 150 figure from. I am sure it has more to do with what is your ability to pay and not what the product is worth. I work in a machine shop and know for a fact the profit margin for them is in no way excessive. This also has an unintended consequence. If your gear takes more of an effort to pay for you will tend to be more dedicated and less of a kook which is a good thing for the backcountry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:34 am 

Fuck off beater.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:57 am 

No, they are not crazy. Just true entreprenuers who are making splitboarding better and more accessible for everyone.... Your profile pic is surfing.... The better question is. Why would you pay upwards of 700 bucks for a foam and fiberglass board.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:16 pm 

:scratch:
I had a prototype hardboot binding to release to the market but didnt because of the price to make 60 sets would have been cost $550/set.
Then to sell would been about $800 making little margin.
then to try and find 60 Hardbooters that would outlay that that didnt already have Bomber, Voile, Phantom (around the same time) I cut my losses and have the one and only set!

The $300 odd you pay for Sparks in a steal!
Even the Karakoram system is on par with Sparks and Voile interface. I don't see that these guys making that much on their products.
How Phantom is selling his system so cheap blows my mind.
Perhaps the labour rate in the US is cheaper than in Australia as they must be nearly cost!
Will be interesting to see what $$$ Ranger release their system for.

Just my :twocents:

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

Post subject: well then
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:23 pm 

they will have to sell um to someone else i'll stick w reasonably priced gear I have a team deal w voile' and even they....! are just too much for me! besides i'll mostly tour w the burton step-in's this winter anyway...
w the carbon slider trax the weight is only few oz more...

good to know people are ....so friendly! NOT

and i would have deleted the post if i could but... this forum won't let me!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:02 pm 

People tend to look at some of this equipment and compare it to mass produced china product.
Look at it this way, this stuff is made by people with 4 plus years schooling(probably a degree in engineering),paying god know how much for tooling/ rent and overhead and putting out small runs compared to asian cookie cutter Walmart gear.
Its a free market and if someone can make it better/cheaper then thats what will happen.

No disrespect starspliter but most people here understand why the gear cost what it does.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:55 pm 

Best troll on here in years!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:01 pm 

starsplitter: what you have proven here is that you have no idea what it costs to design and manufacture a very low volume, very high quality product here in the US.
I know Will (Spark) and Keffler (Phantom), and neither of these guys is really making much money at all. I also know they work really hard to produce their product at a very reasonable cost for what goes into it.
You have every right to choose not to purchase the best gear available, that is up to you, but when you suggest that these guys (who we as split boarders should be praising for the hard work they have put into improving the gear we use, without much at all in the way of a reward) you are about as far off of target as you possibly could be.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/