Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2012 Blaze straps
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:20 pm 

Wellllll.............. Houston we have a problem

Gotta send back this kit, the ratchets are slightly longer then last year's blaze and wont fit those older straps.

Currently looks like, other then the blaze upgrade which doesn't include toe straps, there are no ways for an owner of last years blaze to outfit the new ratchet ladder system.

woh woh :cry:

So a note to anyone throwing this in your pack:

If oyu have last years blaze, the ratchets DO NOT fit. The new straps will go on, and work in the original (last years) ratchet half decent but you won't be able to bolt on the ratchet - especially in the back country.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:19 pm 

classicauto wrote:
Wellllll.............. Houston we have a problem

Gotta send back this kit, the ratchets are slightly longer then last year's blaze and wont fit those older straps.

Currently looks like, other then the blaze upgrade which doesn't include toe straps, there are no ways for an owner of last years blaze to outfit the new ratchet ladder system.

woh woh :cry:

So a note to anyone throwing this in your pack:

If oyu have last years blaze, the ratchets DO NOT fit. The new straps will go on, and work in the original (last years) ratchet half decent but you won't be able to bolt on the ratchet - especially in the back country.

Looks like it's time to go directly to Sparks for some straps then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:43 pm 

Keep an eye on their pending webstore, i bet they will have what you need. Im waiting for just the highbacks. FYI you can also just buy the straps directly from Burton, I did that last year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:43 pm 

I know these are specifically for blazes, but has anyone tried using burner straps / highbacks on fuses? I'd really like to upgrade my straps / highbacks and I'm curious if it's possible with a little mod-ing...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:55 pm 

Union bindings work for straps and highback, I felt the Union Data highbacks were a good upgrade and the straps feel less hokey than the stock Blazes (otherwise a great binding)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:57 am 

I was considering swapping parts from Union Fusion MC (the carbon highbacks, magnesium ratchets, nicer straps and ladders from last year's Blaze).

Eventually, I decided to just get the Burner upgrade kit + separate Burner toe straps ($30 more direct from Spark), because the Fusion MC highback lean is adjusted w/ a hex, and I prefer the Spark flip design for the BC - easier and faster, and on top of this the negative lean for skinning comfort :D

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 am 

Boredom and beers have won the battle!

Basically, I trimmed a small hole in the strap about 3/8" back from the existing ratchet mount hole:

Punched through the tough plastic material with a large nail.

Then using a small T-nut from the ratchet mount of a pair of old Unions, I jammed the short screw in through the new burton ratchet and BAM. Mounted.

Repeat for the other side + install new moulded ladders - and I've updated both ankle attachments of the old blaze.

Plus, you don't really "lose" anything as far as the cost of the backcountry kit. I can toss the old ankle ratchets and ladders (the original mounting t-nut is still in the strap) in my pack and if the need arises in the BC I can just bolt them back on.

I found the toe ratchets on last years blaze don't seem to bind when un-doing them as much as the ankles (maybe because I have my ankles tighter?) so the toes don't really bother me. I was just always paranoid when I had to RIP on the ankle ratchets that one day I'd see springs and shards of material scatter in front of me, feel much better with the new ones installed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:08 am 

^^Now with pics!^^

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:11 am 

Blaze upgraded with Union Force straps and buckles - no modifications necessary - and old Blaze straps and buckles serve as spare parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:44 pm 

lekker bezig jan!

I did the same thing. Well actually one of my original (2010/2011 season) toe straps snapped (the ladder), so I was forced to replace them. I thought of ordering the upgrade kit but then I figured they would just be regular burton straps, so I went and took the straps of an old pair of burton cartels and put them on the blazeplate. Works perfect! And since I have a whole bunch of burton back-up parts no need to worry in the bc.. highbacks are still 2010/2011 mdoel, but it doesn't really bother me that they're a bit flexible..