Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spark Highbacks :)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:56 am 

So the other thread must have been deleted but in case you didn't see it, the general consensus is that the highbacks on the Sparks are extremely soft. Assuming this was done to save weight.

The padding on my highback also started peeling off after 3 times out. Not a big deal because I have glue and am not afraid to use it but still pretty weak.

I think Firstlight was the one who modded some burton carbon highbacks to fit the blazes. Has anyone found any other replacement highbacks? I have a few old pairs of ride bindings but those HB's don;t even come close to fitting right. I really need some stiffer HB's for this setup.

Post subject: Re: Spark Highbacks :(
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 am 

Highbacks are superfluous!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:10 am 

Sure pal, keep.telling yourself that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:30 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
I think Firstlight was the one who modded some burton carbon highbacks to fit the blazes. Has anyone found any other replacement highbacks? I have a few old pairs of ride bindings but those HB's don;t even come close to fitting right. I really need some stiffer HB's for this setup.

Goddammit, is that thread gone too?? Hey firstlight, can you repost the pics of your Fuse mods with the Burton carbon highbacks?

I did something similar with C60 highbacks on original Ignitions first, and now on the Fuse. I'll post some pics (once I feel confident that this thread won't disappear... :)).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:53 pm 

I had no problem using the highbacks from a pair of Salomon bindings, no mods required. In the process, I got rid of the Blaze ankle and toe straps (unfortunately, the Salomon toe straps didn't work, but I had some Burton cap straps which worked with a bit of dremmeling.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:22 pm 

I must say it's a little concerning to me to hear that I spent $300 for a binding tray.

I haven't had any problems yet, but I just got them. Is anybody happy with the hardware on the bindings? There just seems to be alot of posts about the bindings breaking, the LT pins breaking, voile's dual heel etc etc.

It's mildly discouraging as splitboarding gear costs an arm and leg and I'm not getting the impression that the quality is that high? Maybe we are only hearing from the percentage that has issues?

I want to hear some SUCCESS stories to ease my worries!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:43 pm 

Scotty1974 wrote:
Maybe we are only hearing from the percentage that has issues?
You got that right! Its really all about you and your gear. If your going to be 5 miles from nowhere, you better have your shit dialed and have spare parts, if not for you then for your buddy's gear.

BTW: I spent $220 on just the Spark base plates.

Post subject: Re: Spark Highbacks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:37 pm 

jimw as requested
Fuse with carbon highbacks

These are the parts that were removed from the original Burton bindings

Since I took these photos I have replaced the ankle straps with burton ones too.

Some binding info

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 pm 

Scotty1974 wrote:
I must say it's a little concerning to me to hear that I spent $300 for a binding tray.

I haven't had any problems yet, but I just got them. Is anybody happy with the hardware on the bindings? There just seems to be alot of posts about the bindings breaking, the LT pins breaking, voile's dual heel etc etc.

It's mildly discouraging as splitboarding gear costs an arm and leg and I'm not getting the impression that the quality is that high? Maybe we are only hearing from the percentage that has issues?

I want to hear some SUCCESS stories to ease my worries!

Shit breaks, you gotta be prepared to fix it in the BC. It's part of the sport. I love my sparks. I've had every model, and although my first impression of the highback was that it was too flexible, I find it to be quite responsive and well matched to my mojo rx. I'm a skinny guy so maybe that's why, but I've decided I like them. The buckles on the fuses (since Will got his sourcing issues sorted out) are far better then the old blaze buckles IMHO. The straps...well I have one that broke and I'm not sure how, I think it was caught between the edges of two boards in my rocket box, but it only broke the end off. It still works, but I've got a backup in case something happens in the backcountry.

Pedro's right:
If your going to be 5 miles from nowhere, you better have your shit dialed and have spare parts, if not for you then for your buddy's gear.

All of us "old school" spent 400 bucks on the iggy 1s and 2s and 350 on the blaze, so I'm getting a bit tired of reading this "my $300 bindings blah blah blah" :banghead:

A pair of burton C02s costs more then a pair of fuses, and they were built off an existing binding platform that required no re-tooling, little engineering, and no imagination. They also don't let you do what Sparks let you do in terms of backcountry travel. The fact you can get a splitboard and a pair of split specific bindings for less than a new pair of AT skis and AT bindings is a blessing. This sport's got 1/10th the size of the market as AT does and our gear is CHEAPER!

Lastly, modding and customizing your split setup is a time honored tradition and if you don't like something, mod it so that you do.

:twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:20 am 

To be clear, the fact that the price has come down on sparks so much since the first edition is a testament that this company is definitely dedicated to the sport and it's customers. Yes, there are just a few issues with some of the equipment which can be attributed to growing pains and them trying to cut the cost of production which in turn lowers the price for us.

Shit I also got a faulty jones board this year with the funky hole pattern but the board rides great. Replacing straps, and highbacks are just part of the game of customization. Dialing in the bindings to your personal preferences. Customization is part of what started splitboarding in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:43 am 

I wanted to add my two cents here, lest readers get the idea that one must replace the highbacks on the Spark Blaze binding. Highback stiffness is a matter of personal preference. My preference has always been for very responsive boot/binding interfaces, hence my general preference for hard boots on my splits. But, when it comes to highback flex, I see things a little differently. On my solid boards I run an old Burton C-14 (carbon) base plate, with the same leather straps (with new buckles) that were originally supplied with the binding. The C-14 baseplate is very stiff, which I like, but the carbon highbacks which came with this binding were way too stiff for me. I prefer a highback with some twist and give-here's why: on a toe side turn a rider has shock absorbtion available through the muscles and connective tissues of the foot and lower leg, this allows one to hold their edge even while hitting small bumps and irregularities in the snow. Once on your heelside edge, with your leg pressing on the highback, the stiffness of the highback determines how much shock absorbtion is available-if the highback does not allow for some flex, bumps will change the angle of the board with the snow, and control of the edge will be lost.
On my C-14s I use the Burton Team Skyback, a very tall highback (I like tall for response) but quite a bit more flexible than the stock C-14 carbon highbacks.
With all the talk about how flexible the Blaze highback is, I went to the shop and checked one out. All I can say is that I like the stiffness of this highback, and for my riding would have no problem using it stock-in fact I would prefer it to a stiffer highback. My point is, different folks have different preferences, and for those considering purchasing the Blaze, do not assume that you will have to replace the highback to get the best performance out of it. Ride the binding and see how you like it-if you need a little more response, try a little more forward lean before thinking you need to replace the highback.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:03 am 

Although I agree that modding gear is a splitboard tradition (and something that I love doing), but not everyone is capable of performing many of the mods we do on a daily basis nor should it be something we all should have to "deal with". Modding gear to personalize it is one thing, but to have to mod gear just to get it to work is another thing entirely... :nononno:

I think the highback issue is probably a rider weight dependent setup. Us smaller guys don't seem to be having as much of a problem. It would be cool if Spark sold their binders with options like stiffer highbacks and upgraded buckles/straps. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:15 am 

Rughty:

Excellent point. If Will could offer two highback options, regular and stiff, that would be a great way for riders to customise the bindings to their preference. I would also like to see different positions for the ankle strap, a la Burton. Changing the ankle strap height can make big differences in binding performance, and is a great way to be able to customise binding response to rider preference.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/