Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 13/14 Sparks are a tad too tight on voile pucks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:04 pm 

Purchased a pair of Magnetos for my new k2 split. The voile hardware, which includes the pucks, is new.

Try to fit the bindings on the pucks is like trying fit a rectangle in a triangle and it takes the jaws of life to get them off.

At first I thought that the maybe something was wrong with the pucks.

Well, there isn't. REI is close to me so I went down there to see if I could get a new pair of pucks for the board.
They had one. Interestingly, same problem. On a Voile Light Rail binding, these pucks slide on and off like butter without the slightest of play.

On Sparks, whether it's a Blaze, a Burner, a Magneto or an Afterburner, they slide on with a lot of tightness and getting them is a pain in the butt.

What gives?

Post subject: Re: 13/14 Sparks are a tad too tight on voile pucks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:23 am 

Most of our pucks have a lot of days on them. We have been riding Spark Burners for a couple of years and just switched to Afterburners. Some pucks were snug in the past (mostly due to board hulling or some such alignment issues) but most were well broken in. The Afterburners were indeed snugger on the old pucks, but a squirt of silicone made them slide on nicely. I figure the parts will settle in together over time. I can imagine new pucks and new Teslas being tight though. Lube them up and go to town on them. They'll learn whose their daddy.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:43 am 

two Generations of slider Pucks - old geay new black, they are a littel diferent. for some new spark after burner you must scratch the Pucks with a blade ore tune the binding inside with a polish, mill it a way, too much gap is a nuckel had,

1, oil on the Pucks
2 scratch the puck
3 polish - millig the Corners in your bindings

this way brings you to the finish.

bURTON

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:55 am 

Thanks. What do you suggest for lube? WD-40? Oil?

philip.ak wrote:
Most of our pucks have a lot of days on them. We have been riding Spark Burners for a couple of years and just switched to Afterburners. Some pucks were snug in the past (mostly due to board hulling or some such alignment issues) but most were well broken in. The Afterburners were indeed snugger on the old pucks, but a squirt of silicone made them slide on nicely. I figure the parts will settle in together over time. I can imagine new pucks and new Teslas being tight though. Lube them up and go to town on them. They'll learn whose their daddy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:00 am 

Go to a hardware store (etc) and get an aerosol can of "heavy duty silicone lubricant" spray. Give the pucks and channels under the bindings a nice squirt and give it a while to dry. Then slide the bindings on and off about 20 times, vigorously. Reapply the spray and allow to dry before remounting the bindings before heading out. The silicone will provide nice smooth lubrication and prevent snow buildup.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:19 am 

i youse for all Special Job s - balistol - don`t laugh... for the bike chain, for healt as neon balistol,

this is a medical oil, wd 40 is to agressiv for plastic and smells like a old fish....

look at: http://www.ballistol.de/

bURTON

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:52 am 

Yeah bust out the sand paper and chain lube with teflon this works great. Better to tight than to loose..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:46 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
Go to a hardware store (etc) and get an aerosol can of "heavy duty silicone lubricant" spray. Give the pucks and channels under the bindings a nice squirt and give it a while to dry. Then slide the bindings on and off about 20 times, vigorously. Reapply the spray and allow to dry before remounting the bindings before heading out. The silicone will provide nice smooth lubrication and prevent snow buildup.

Thank you all for the replies.

Phil, I went to Napa Auto Parts about an hour ago and got a can of CRC's heavy duty silicone lubricant spray and did what you suggest. You're a freaking genius, sir. Worked like a charm.

Still thinking a little sanding using a fine sandpaper is in order.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:46 pm 

philip.ak wrote:

Thank you all for the replies.

Phil, I went to Napa Auto Parts about an hour ago and got a can of CRC's heavy duty silicone lubricant spray and did what you suggest. You're a freaking genius, sir. Worked like a charm.

Still thinking a little sanding using a fine sandpaper is in order.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:39 pm 

Hey now - thanks a million !!!!

I thought it was just me.

I did some light sanding to the pucks in addition to the spray.

*Not a major setback at first, but now that I have done this twice - something stinks !!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:59 am 

burton wrote:
i youse for all Special Job s - balistol - don`t laugh... for the bike chain, for healt as neon balistol,

this is a medical oil, wd 40 is to agressiv for plastic and smells like a old fish....

look at: http://www.ballistol.de/

bURTON

Thanks for the tip, ballistol on the pucks made all the difference with the new afterburner I got today. I think it should be good now without using sandpaper.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:52 pm 

How often are you now having to re-apply the spray? Also, are they staying lubricated enough for a multi-day tour?

I am having the exact same issues with my new Magneto bindings. Very frustrating, I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong, but my old burners fit my pucks perfectly.

Has anyone contacted Spark R & D about this?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:39 am 

same Problem - 2 treads

first oil - it works - ok - not - mesury all parts . last call is milling inside the binding. you have 2 spark bindings and 1 puck set. all bindings must work on your Pucks.

it is a littel Problem - work step by step. we talking about gaps from 0,10 mm :wink:

bURTON