Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do i have to get tractor skins?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:02 pm 

So...what has been the experience of people using skins other than voile tractors? i found regular skins cheap @ climbingskinsdrect.com , but are they ok for splitties? What are the disadvantages...Basically what is the skinny on skins?
I am just entering the world of split and am looking forward to leaving the slow-shoes at home.

Any advice is very welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:21 pm 

There are some mods that involve non voile skins (tail clips etc) and some people prefer lighter skins.

Any skins which are wide enough should work OK. I think the voile splitboard skins are 130 mm before trimming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:49 pm 

It'll probably be fine if you can get this tip clip angled right.

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:01 pm 

The short answer is no, except the tractor skins are made for a split board. Most importantly, the nose clip. Check the DIY room some skin mods.

JimW did a great mod with some Black Diamond STS skins, which I think come 130mm wide. viewtopic.php?t=3461

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:45 pm 

I got the widest skins possible from www.climbingskinsdirect.com, with the tip and tail clips. They've worked great for me so far. I played with them a bit and eventually chose not to angle the clips. But, I did angle each folded-under section so that the adhesive is exposed and can stick to the board on either side. No pics right now, but I can put some up if anyone is interested.

Oh, and their service was good too. I'd definitely recommend them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:29 am 

I just recently set up another pair of BD Glidelite STS skins, like in the post ricorides mentioned. But this time, I was a dumbass, and cut the angle for the tips on both skins in the same direction, i.e. cut to fit the same half of the split. I'm still working on the second part of the "measure twice, cut once" axiom. By the time I figured it out, there was only a tiny bit of material left to go over the tip clip in the correct direction. I didn't think the glue would hold it during use, so I went to a local shoe repair place and had them stitch across the fold like so:

Oops...

The thread is very heavy duty, and it looked pretty bomber, so I cut off the remaining overlapped material. Think of the weight savings!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:57 pm 

Thanks fellas, that definitely helps. Jimw-i was thinkin about doin some kind of custom angled MacGyver typa thing with the clips too-looks good and i appreciate the warning of not cutting them the same way!

I found a good deal at my local shop on 130mm G3 expedition skins...any experience w/ G3's? I've actually read a few bad glue flashback stories...

Thanks again!