Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitboarding Closed Resorts?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 pm 

Maybe this year is not the best for it; but, what's the deal with splitboarding up resorts closed for the season?

Thinking about learning how to splitboard on some of our local closed Colorado resort slopes near Denver. I got a deal on a NS SL factory split, though I need to get the universal kit and poles. I do have a beacon, probes, a shovel, and a brother to go up there with. We have done some practice with the beacons over the past three seasons and I have attended the three free introductory avalanche sessions at REI this year.

Any insight would be appreciated on the legalities, dangers, an so forth of splitboarding closed resorts.

LBK

Post subject: Re: Splitboarding Closed Resorts?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:48 am 

I have found it to mostly be up to the resort management. Or at least those operating on NF land. Some do, some dont. I would say give it a shot . They will just ask you to leave. Nothing More

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 am 

whats up fellow COer! ? I actually do some splitting at abay on the weekends, even though they are still open they are totally cool with it. they have an uphill travel sign that basically says don't be stupid when going uphill. where else are you thinking of going? I would def just mount up and start going, since people are still riding most of these places use some common sense and dont get underneath large terrain where someone could air right into you, I always skin on the shoulder of the run if possible. For me its more of a cardio workout since the terrain is mostly controlled and fairly smooth or so icey and mogually that you curse yourself for taking the wrong path. HAHA-- so yeah, give it a go, have some fun and if the place is closed be sure to take a friend!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:34 am 

cometogether wrote:
whats up fellow COer! ? I actually do some splitting at abay on the weekends, even though they are still open they are totally cool with it. they have an uphill travel sign that basically says don't be stupid when going uphill. where else are you thinking of going? I would def just mount up and start going, since people are still riding most of these places use some common sense and dont get underneath large terrain where someone could air right into you, I always skin on the shoulder of the run if possible. For me its more of a cardio workout since the terrain is mostly controlled and fairly smooth or so icey and mogually that you curse yourself for taking the wrong path. HAHA-- so yeah, give it a go, have some fun and if the place is closed be sure to take a friend!

My brother will likely be up at Ski Loveland testing out his Icelantic splitboard he got a deal on. It will be his first time messing with his split set-up. He was talked into doing the bike/skin up Breck fun race in two weeks and needs to do a last minut teach himself to split uphill. He could A-basin on Saturday instead but was thinking about the Loveland resort.

CTG, will you be out at the Basin skinning it on Saturday? My brother will probably need some pointers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:15 am 

I've split at Copper after they closed. Wasn't anybody around to tell me not too. Skinned up to Copper Peak and dropped down to HWY 91. Definitely recommend it, just maybe not this season :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:34 am 

yeah sorry i dont compute at home.. HAHA yeah abay saturdy was a zoo!!! i did some bottom to top in less than two hours! it was great people where looking at me like I was an alien. HAHA im down to go to a closed resort and skin a little FOR SURE!!! usually around on the weekends, so if anyone from CO wants to keep playing in this " worst season ever" id love too. I have a streak to keep alive so I'll be hunting all year long. hit me up-fstrwgn@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:42 pm 

when it comes to skinning up resort slopes i've found it to be easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:13 am 

so true!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:41 am 

hahaha. Resort skins all perfect for November, and on howling storm days that the chairs close. Just because the the chair isn't turning doesn't mean my legs can't. But Kirkwood can be fun to skin into, I have been chased off though a few times, but I just drop down toward Carson if I see them coming. I refuse to pay 100 bux to stand and wait.