Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best exercise for splitboarding ascent
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:02 pm 

I'm a female new to splitboarding - went out a handful of times last year after getting a used splitboard off of craigslist (a score considering most splitboards are WAY too big for many female riders). I found that my leg and front-hip muscles got tired very quickly on the ascent and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for training. I had been running, stair climbing, and biking to work but I still got tired much faster than my friends on skis. I know part of this is my heavier equipment versus their ski equipment, but still... Does anyone have any good splitboard specific exercises so that I can keep up better this year? Thanks everyone!

Post subject: Re: Best exercise for splitboarding ascent
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:22 pm 

First off, welcome to splitboarding!
As a runner I can tell you that aside from the overall fitness benefits, I've found very little cross over from running to skinning.
Lunges and squats work well for skinning and yoga is helpful in terms of flexibility. As someone who has had chronic hip problems I also like to do lying side leg lifts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:11 pm 

You could try making the glutes work more (for me it helps to make sure I stay more upright), that could balance out the quad fatigue a bit.

Also make sure to keep a good steady rhythm, even if it's a bit slow. Going too fast is much more tiring. If you're 5 minutes behind everyone on a two hour skin up, it's not a big deal, but if you work very hard to close that gap you might be wearing yourself out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:11 pm 

You could try making the glutes work more (for me it helps to make sure I stay more upright), that could balance out the quad fatigue a bit.

Also make sure to keep a good steady rhythm, even if it's a bit slow. Going too fast is much more tiring. If you're 5 minutes behind everyone on a two hour skin up, it's not a big deal, but if you work very hard to close that gap you might be wearing yourself out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:04 pm 

I personally find that an elliptical trainer (one without moving arms handles, but does allow for altering the inclination) is the most representative training tool for skinning ascent.
Targets all the muscles groups of the legs (determined based on the inclination being utilized) and allows for increasing the resistance (think trailbreaking in pow vs. an established skin track). So if you have access to a gym with something similar I would suggest giving it a try.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:17 pm 

Thanks, all! I agree that running does little from a muscle building perspective, but maybe it would help with cardio endurance? Honestly, I wouldn't miss it much if I were to do something else instead! Lunges and squats are probably good, and I bet the side-leg lifts are helpful for the hip issues. I've never really found much use with the elliptical, but I'm guessing I haven't had it on the right (difficult) settings. I was thinking that a Nordic-Track would be a decently similar activity... I'm also all-for going a bit slower. I've been lucky the past few times I've gone out that my partner hasn't been in it for the speed record, but I think a lot of others might get frustrated having to wait up. I appreciate all of the advice - thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:59 pm 

Also keep in mind that some of it is also skill and muscle memory, I think the body just gets used to doing the motions more efficiently with experience.

As for cardio, I've always been kinda lousy at that, but a few months ago I found out about tabata intervals, and they really helped me increase my comfortable heart rate from like 155-160 to about 170. I think it helped a lot for trying to keep up with people that are going a little too fast for me. even if that's irrelevant for your specific predicament, they're really fun and they only take a very short while to do (which is the real reason I've been doing them)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 am 

Yoga works great... works the core... that and burpees.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:34 am 

One thing to look at is make sure you dont have foward lean on your bindings, some bindings have it there even when you take it all off. This forces your knee and hip to move foward making you use your hip flexer muscles and not your butt. Its a butt exercise as someone has pointed out to you. try and use it to push your legs up the hill. It is really like half lunges and when you do a lunge properly you push up more with your heel that your toes.

I split 3 times minimum a week and normal ride most days . I prefer powder missions but those I cant do those on my own and my partner works alot. He hates it as he cant keep up to me now. I suggest doing the same. Look for a safe place which you can do on your own and go power yourself up the hill for 1 to 2 hours. You will be in front of the boys in no time!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:33 pm 

Hello.

I found on youtube exercises that combine most of above. Also you dont need any expensive fitness equipment:
Check on youtube for programs: hot blooded warmup (5 minutes warmup routine), best 20 minute cardio workout part 1-5 (it uses tabata intervals) and intense 40 minute workout part 1-6.
Since you are a lady, try to overlook the demonstrator of exercises, its more for the guys. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:49 pm 

I went splitting for the first time ever, and all i could think about was this post that i read a few days before. And the next thought was that I wished I hit the elipitcal more!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:43 pm 

I hate machines for exercise with a passion. I've found I get very good payoff with wearing heavy ankle weights during the course of the day. Up stairs, walking around, etc. After the initial drag, I get to where I don't even notice them. Of course, I have to remember to put then on in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:23 am 

Hi bluegreen,
Cardio exercises like running, biking and hiking are effective.
Squads, lunges, hip extensions, One legged dead lifts also helps you.