Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I suck at base repair...help a brutha out.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:08 am 

The cleaning of the base is extremely important. Base cleaner is good but... if you can readily get things from your dentist (specifically used dental picks - lol) I find that these tools are great for diggin out the itty and gritty. Harbor freight also sells some inexpensive pic sets.
Additionally, i heat the base up slightly with a heat gun (harbor freight) and make small precise X marks with a razor blade along the damaged area. Then ptex and like a good batch of moonshine - its all about the color of the flame - soft blue is good. I'm by no means an expert and you can base weld with this same method - In theory the cleaning, diggin out, razor markings are good practice. Ptex is nasty toxic shit - and to the best of my knowledge I don't know anyone who has gotten high from it. Thus, its a good exercise to wear a respirator.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:01 am 

Didn't read all the replies but the shop i sneak into has P-tex candles and then another product the guys call base-weld. Sounds stupid to me but you do a base-weld with base-weld.

West systems G-flex epoxy will work and never come out, unless you do a real sloppy job..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:08 pm 

For any base repair against the edge or to the core you need to use metal grip. Fill the damaged area half way with metal grip then put p-tex on top of that. For both applications I would recommend the soldering iron with a flat tip method. Finally instead of scraping the repair smooth with a metal scraper try using a panzer file it is much faster and you get better results. Side note a panzer file is also useful for sharpening your plastic wax scrapers. Most ski shops will have both metal grip and panzer files but if not they are readily available online.