Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: shaun white?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:52 am 

chase_e wrote:
nothingmuch wrote:
The problem is not even that this sweet ass halfpipe is in the middle of nowhere, they shipped the box of foam from tahoe on wide load trucks, they need a fleet of like 47109 snowmobiles to drag one snowboarder up the hill, etc etc.

The way that they portray the over-the-top production as a good thing, it doesn't actually contribute anything of value (i'm pretty sure a private half pipe could have been constructed somewhere where you don't need a helicopter to scout and another helicopter to film the first one).

I'm sure the actual impact of this project was nothing compared to what a large ski resort does, perhaps even in a just a week, but the fact that it's in such bad taste is what makes it annoying, they could have at least tried to at least seem like their making some environmentally conscious decisions.

Lastly, this is not targeted at thinking adults. The 13 year olds whose parents are paying for all of this stuff are the ones being trained to think that this is awesome, and they probably buy into that very easily.

Exactly.. :thumbsup:

Agreed. He I'm all for someone trying/doing something that hasn't been done or is a "cool" idea, but this is a tad excessive. I wonder how much Shaun was even involved in building it. Anyone ever hear of the superpipe that Alan Clark and crew built in the back country outside of whistler many years ago? I don't think it got much press. That was a cool idea (especially for back then) and they built it by hand, other than using sleds to access it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:53 am 

Not freakin' fair...

I wish my dad would build me a halfpipe in my back yard!
Then again if i was in Silverton I wouldn't riding a halfpipe anyway!

How about a compromise, a backyard hockey rink...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:59 pm 

chase_e wrote:
Go build your pipes somewhere else, leave nature and the backcountry to people who can appreciate it.

That is a step in the wrong direction in my eyes. :thumbsdown:
Very much the wrong direction and a really lame message to the next generation, aka future skintrack postholers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:24 pm 

Ha, I wonder if shaun could still bust it out if he had to skin up to his playground instead of getting chauffeured? This just reminds me why I stopped paying attention to the "pro snowboarders" years ago. This sort of crap just pisses me off. I even have a hard time with this recent redemption of Jeremy Jones. As much as I think he is wicked rider and seems like a cool guy....ah forget it. I'm gonna go shovel some snow.