Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HD Camcorder Recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:05 pm 

Looking for some advice on a HD camcorder. I'm not looking for helmet cam compatibility here. Actually, it's going to be more for the kid/family than snowboarding days. Although having something lighter and compact could mean it makes some trip appearances.

I've done some online homework but the number of options is pretty overwhelming. If anyone else has sorted through the madness and has a recommendation or two, I would appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: HD Camcorder Recommendations
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:48 am 

HD makes for some great footage, but there are a lot of tech headaches that can accompany it.
AVCHD is the big bummer at the moment. Full HD is great but in the native AVCHD format, the computers today are barely able to make edits. some of the older HD cams that still use tape are definitely easier to work with when it comes to editing. AVCHD is best to be honest when you convert it to a more usable format. either way if you do decide on a HD cam with AVCHD make sure you get a sales person who knows what they are talking about. that is someone with editing experience.

I bought a Panasonic LX3. it is a really small camera with great specs. Like the G10 from Canon the stills are excellent, but in addition you can shoot in HD. not Full HD but 1400x. makes for great videos and the format is Quick time, super easy. Even Movie Maker from Windows can handle it.

If you are gonna do it. think big. a new computer(which you probably will need, new camera and editing software can be pricy but the memories are so worth it.