Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tiltshift
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:48 am 

Came across this over at TGR and have been playing with it a bit. Cool stuff!
http://tiltshiftmaker.com/

Basically it makes your photo look like a miniature scene.

And the same process applied to video.

Post subject: Re: tiltshift
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:00 am 

Whoa, that's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:57 pm 

That looks like a cool plug-in type thingy... Does it actually simulate the lens perspective corrections of a real tilt-shift lens setup, or just apply the funky off angle depth of field effects? I'll have to check it out... Could still be fun to play with...

edit: Checked it out, it just applies a selective area of focus horizontaly across the photo... Could be fun, but a bit limited. Time to look for some Photoshop plug'ns with more functionality... It'd be fun to have the vertical track in focus, with the rest soft... Easy enough to manually do, but would be cool to have an easy tool to assist...

Test shot:

Trying to find a real tilt-shift lens setup to work on my camera is no fun.. Way more $ than I want to spend on something that I'd use less than 1% of the time for landscape and architectural type shots... There are reasonable options for Canon, Nikon and even Pentax dSLR's, but not so much for the Minolta/Sony mount... Some manual options using medium format lenses, but... $$$$ Oh well...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:24 am 

no definitely not worth spending $$ on in my humble opinion. it's super cool if you haven't seen it before but trust me, the novelty wears off fast! (i work in the visual effects industry). spending money on a second camera to shoot stereo images (3D) would be kinda wise if you want to follow industry trends. as a matter of fact we're shooting a Disney feature right now in 3D and it definitely won't/doesn't look goofy with the technology that has been developed for it. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:33 pm 

Good input Holby... I figured if I stumbled across a T/S setup I'd be happy, but my use is more for perspective correction rather than a funky DOF... You can fake the DOF stuff pretty well in software, but a lot of the lens perspective correction done in software still doesn't quite look right, espeically when trying to keep the detail for architecture and some indoor photography.....

Anyway, what if Disney wanted the film to look "Goofy".. ;) I'm with ya though, the new 3d stuff is pretty impressive these days... It's no longer a silly gimmick for teenage horror movies....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:44 pm 

i don't think it's possible to extrapolate depth of field info from a photo without either a 3d model or actual rays of light to focus with.

It could be neat if you could give it some perspective lines, kinda like software which makes VR objects out of photos.

holbyco - any suggestions on how to set up syncing and mounting? could be a really fun project. A digital solution should be a lot more flexible than those funky dual lens & dual frame stereoscopic cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:30 pm 

here is some cool tilt shift action for ya ;)