Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snowkite Pics
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:25 pm 

I guess this section of the forum doesn't get much action, so I thought I would throw up a link to some pics. They were taken of me(orange jacket) and my friend back in Ontario a few years ago.

I bought my first snowboard with the intent of using only for kiting, but I guess I got bit by the snowboarding bug. I guess being out west, I will need to get back into it so I can ride in some of the sweet terrain out here.

The pics were on a really gusty day, and the first time I had used a bridled kite, having learned on original C kites. This was around when the first batch of bridled tubes were coming from Cabrinha. Not really too much action, not like the hills guys are throwing themselves off in the west.

http://www.adventureimaging.ca/gallerie ... /index.htm

Anjoy, and there are some really nice pics on his site too from other ski adventures in Europe.

Post subject: Re: Snowkite Pics
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:13 pm 

I've been thinking about starting a thread asking for snow kiting pics! My brothers kite surf and I'd like to learn that and snow kiting. I take it you learned kite surfing first? Can you use the same harness even with thicker winter clothes?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:54 pm 

fitit wrote:
I've been thinking about starting a thread asking for snow kiting pics! My brothers kite surf and I'd like to learn that and snow kiting. I take it you learned kite surfing first? Can you use the same harness even with thicker winter clothes?

Yup same harness works they are quite adjustable. I kite in the summer, but tried it a couple of time in the winter and wasn't to excited about it. i would rather just skin and ride real lines than kite around on flat mellow terrain. Some people can climb steep stuff thou and mostly ride down with the kite still flying?? i dnt know why.. http://vimeo.com/30364144 Its a sweet summer sport if you live near a beach.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:44 am 

fitit wrote:

Hey,

I actually learned to kite on the snow before I learned water, its easier that way in most cases. Easier because you don't have to worry about your board so much, and you can use less kite power, so a smaller kite, in less wind and still ride around and stay upwind. Depends on depth of snow though, if its deep you still need as much as water, or more.

Anyways, kiting on water and in waves is more fun than on the snow, for me. I have heard many others who are the opposite. Learning either way will help with the other without a doubt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:28 am 

My brother lent Mr his 7m kite and harness but I need to loose a few pounds to fit. He couldn't find his trainer kite. Fortunately, I live close to snowkiting and closer to kite surfing. I live off the Delta basically the deep water extension of san Francisco bay, inland to Stockton (largest inland water port in the US). I'm excited to try both!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:40 pm 

Cool, sounds like you have somebody to help you and some good spots, although I am not familiar with them.

I will add, its easier to learn to snowkite when the wind is steady, like a large frozen lake, or huge open area with little obstructions to the wind, but its really hard to learn in gusty wind, like you would get in many areas of the mountains, so take it easy out there. It would be easier to learn on the water vs gusty unpredictable mountain winds. Hopefully you got a crew you can ride with out there.

Anyways, welcome to another expensive hobby :guinness:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am 

Quote:
I will add, its easier to learn to snowkite when the wind is steady, like a large frozen lake, or huge open area with little obstructions to the wind, but its really hard to learn in gusty wind, like you would get in many areas of the mountains,

This is true - but over time you learn to read the wind & terrain & its all about finding the proper setup for that day.

Quote:
I actually learned to kite on the snow before I learned water

2nd that! Learning on snow is definitely easier. I was floored at the struggles I had on water after being able to ride upwind and have fun on snow. Now its all good.....the key - see the potential and just stay with it.

Quote:
I kite in the summer, but tried it a couple of time in the winter and wasn't to excited about it

I'm just the opposite - terrain is why snowkiting is so much better to me. To each their own & I'm not saying water kiting isn't a huge blast but I suspect if you spent 1 day some place like the Bighorns in WY you may find your opinion shifting. The right spot on a great snow/wind day makes all the difference.

Where I'm having my biggest dilemma now is making myself skin up for gravity turns - the mental debate goes like this " hmmm - there's 4" new up in whatever couloir - it'll take me 3 hours to get to the top & I can make 2-3 runs and come home thrashed but happy.....or - I can go to this other spot closer by...get my kite up & be riding great terrain features in less than an hour & ride continuously for 4 or 5 hours if the wind holds.....& come home totally thrashed but completely amped".

Every time I get a great day in skinning for my turns I always lecture myself about doing that more - but then I get a great day in kiting & it all fades to distant memory & that's all I can think about.

Harnesses, kites & gear are typically interchangeable for snow & water. Some gear (foils & certain harnesses) are designed for snow and are more geared to backcountry & simplicity in the snow but don't work well for water. If you can drive to a spot or snowmobile in - anything works. Anything engineered for water though will work in snow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:39 pm 

Quote:
This is true - but over time you learn to read the wind & terrain & its all about finding the proper setup for that day.

For sure, I just remember when I started learning, thinking I could just find any field and go ahead and put a kite up. It can be really frustrating, especially when learning, to have your kite fall out of the sky, then get hit by a huge gust, then drop out of the sky again...We quickly figured out what area would work for what type of wind, Im sure its the same in the mountains :thumbsup:

I hear you about the kiting taking over, its much easier and less work to have the kite rip you around. Different sports for different days, kinda like surfing vs kiteboarding, each has its own sweet spot. Good option too I would imagine when avy conditions are high, just pick a mellow rolling area and have a blast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:45 pm 

KGN wrote:
Quote:
Good option too I would imagine when avy conditions are high, just pick a mellow rolling area and have a blast.

I've never kited but that's what I've been thinking lately too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:30 am 

Someone to headache some your reside so often, and you can use inferior kite cause, so a smaller kite, in fewer meander and plant travel around and outride windward.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:59 am 

Johnalan wrote:
Someone to headache some your reside so often, and you can use inferior kite cause, so a smaller kite, in fewer meander and plant travel around and outride windward.

*finger snaps* :doobie: