Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caution
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:12 pm 

Just wanted to say that while kiting is an exciting and exhilirating sport, it can be very dangerous. The power that kites can harness from the wind is huge. Anyone new to the sport please take lessons from qualified and certified p.a.s.a. or i.k.o. instuctors. There are many hazards and safety practices you should be aware of. I recently(even after taking lessons and previously kiting safely) disregarded some simple safety measures, improperly launched my kite in winds nearing its upper range and got picked up and slammed. My back has been screwed up for a month. Be careful, learn the right way to do things and take the time to be safe. Have fun.

Post subject: Re: Caution
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:06 pm 

Sorry to hear about your back injury:

I do not know anything about snowkiting, looks like fun,

except when this happens:

Quote:
"Control your flight with Kiteloops"

What are kiteloops?

Here is some stoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:14 am 

Yep - it Can Be dangerous. Getting drunk can be dangerous. Sex can be dangerous. It definitely helps to take lessons before your 1st attempt. It is way easier to learn on snow than water. It is easier somewhat on skis than with a snowboard. It is often difficult to find someone willing to give lessons in the cold & snow but if you can go upwind in the water you'll easily kite in snow. I broke my neck & ended up having a spinal fusion in my 1st season learning to snow kite(no lessons). Take lessons. Go to Hatteras, South Padre Island, TX, La Ventana, MX, Florida or any place with consistent wind and shallow sandy bottom warm water & take lessons from a good instructor 1st then snow kiting is as safe & easy as any sport can be.

Snow kiting can be tricky if you are riding in good terrain. Terrain is what makes kiting exciting and like everything snow- powder is better & what makes heroes of ordinary kite minions. Terrain creates wind shadows and most frequently you'll have more wind as you go into higher elevations. I've seen many days where you start at the bottom of serious terrain struggling and looping the hell out of the kite to get going only to find yourself way overpowered at the top of a ridge.

The key - really - is knowledge & experience. The added factors of wind and the vagaries of how wind is affected by terrain and wind direction just takes time to grasp. I was too fascinated & eager to get into it to go to the right places to learn so I self taught & paid the price(still paying on the neck surgery). I am the only person in my area that kites so if I wanted to ride something local I was alone. Self teaching is super educational & full of "experiences". I recommend against it mostly. There's hardly anywhere that has good kite terrain and good snow that doesn't have someone around with experience in the locations, wind requirements for those locations, & every kiter is a weather junkie who watches for ideal conditions relentlessly. Get to know them, & offer them contraband for their help & enjoy the addiction. Listen to their advise on kite sizes & what the terrain & wind is going to be like. Watch what they do & when they do it to get to the places they go. Then its spectacular addiction. The limits are wide open to interpretation at this point. So many options yet to be explored by kite. Especially by splitters willing to travel on foot to reach epic terrain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:44 am 

Up Ski looks like a safer option as one is able to de-power the canopy...

See http://www.upski.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:20 am 

lewmt wrote:
Getting drunk can be dangerous. Sex can be dangerous. It definitely helps to take lessons before your 1st attempt.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:48 pm 

The Upski concept is really cool for backcountry approaches. The key with that tool is that I'm pretty sure the wind needs to be pretty directly upsloping. This can be the case depending on the Mtn & direction you have access to for the approach. I could be wrong but it doesn't appear that you have as much directional capability or the kite utilizes less of the wind window than other kite technologies.

I think it could have great applications in the right circumstances for multiple runs at certain locations. It does look like it depowers really nicely & requires little wind for use. I also wonder how it pulls on a snowboard. Its pretty different skiing with kites vs. snowboarding & this looks like more of a direct forward pull. If it catches on there could be big advancements in performance too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:47 am 

Looks like a great invention for wide open gentle up hills and skis. I wonder how it works for snowboards? Most of the Terrain i hike and ride is steep and some times requires tricky route finding, so it wouln't work for me except in a few instances. I really like the idea though :thumbsup: