Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paid Placement?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:31 am 

Hello swappers,

Just wondering if folks would find interest in paid placement Swap offerings?
http://splitboard.com/product-category/used-gear/

Meaning, you could sell your used gear in our Shop for a small service fee.

With the site redesign came some new tools so I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Let me know if you guys see any value in this.

Winter is coming!

Post subject: Re: Paid Placement?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:48 pm 

Point of clarification: This is in addition to (and not replacing) the Splitboard Swap board, right?
Like we could still post our own ads for free and have the option to pay you to host our ads on the Shop page. The benefit being they would be advertised on the left of viewers screens.
In which case, go for it! :thumpsup: Could be really cool.

Or is it to the exclusion of the (free) Swap board as we currently know it? B/c it wouldn't change my behavior, I'm not opposed to this (*AND* you deserve as much cheddar as you can for setting up this great resource), I do have some considerations of varying importance and in to particular order. . .
a) you'd be in direct competition with eBay/Amazon/Craigslist; and to a certain extent FirstLight & Phantom et al. Which means it'd be in your interest to police users from directing viewers' traffic to other market sites. (or you could 'be cool' and not).
b) personally speaking, I ignore everything that even looks like an ad. I can't help it. i don't even see boot adds when I am actively shopping around for boots. I simply don't see/notice them when I surf the net and I have to tell myself to click on ads b/c it helps SB.com.
c) It'd be a, up-front fee, not a percentage, right? So if my ad doesn't result in a sale, I'm not stuck with a bill for services already rendered.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:55 am 

Thanks for your thoughts Hans and sorry my post was sorta brief and vague.

The idea wasn't a get rich quick scheme or a way to create a source of income. It was prompted for a few different reasons.

We sometimes get folks that fall outside of the standard terms of use (personal use) that was intended for the swap section. As to not be taken advantage of this idea was presented.

The new site platform (backend) allows for a somewhat easy process to create this option. This would allow folks that don't have an image host or the tech skills to add images to their post the ability to do so.

It has to be done at the admin level though, not the user level which means the prospective seller would send us the product images, description, and sale price. We'd then create the post for them. The seller and prospective buyer would work out payment and shipping.

We were originally thinking a small flat percentage of the sale would be fair, say 5%. This would be a fee based on the sale not the listing. You bring up a good point though. From our standpoint, we'd be investing our time and energy to create the post and provide this service regardless of whether a sale was completed. So maybe its back to the drawing board. We don't really have much time to invest for something that may not even pan out.

The option was to be in addition to offering the free swap forum and process that is currently available to our readers.

Hope that helps. Any more input is welcomed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:24 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up.
5% sounds totally fair to me, but I know doodley about web ad pricing. You gotta cover your costs for admin and hosting. I'd be interested to hear what member/vendors have to say: FirstLight, Phantom, Prowder, Ranger, rughty. . . etc.

RE: pricing - You could charge a fixed fee (for admin hassle and advertising) then —pending a sale— subtract the that downpayment from your 5% figure.

e.g. I give you my $10 (or whatever downpayment amount you decide). You host my $1000 ad for however long the term will be. If it sells at that price I owe you $40 more bucks.
If, after a month it doesn't sell, I have the option to pull the ad, re-up, or re-list at a lower price (the latter two could require another, smaller fee. . . or not). If I re-list and end up selling at $800 that sale would mean I owe you more $30 bucks.

Come to think of it, you'd have to stipulate if shipping counts in calculating percentage.

Find out what eBay does. Whereas they have breadth, you have depth into this specific market. I think a SB.com ad would be worth paying more than an eBay ad. But don't listen to me. I have neither experience nor skin in the game.