Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On Hold
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:31 am 

On hold for a while

From the BTNF:

"An Avalanche Warning for the mountains of Western Wyoming is in effect through midnight on Friday. Very dangerous avalanche conditions exist. Natural activity is certain today as heavy snow continues to load a weak snowpack. Slabs at the high elevations will be the deepest where crown depths may reach three feet. Widespread activity is expected and at all elevations slides are likely to entrain faceted snow to the base of the snowpack. Early this morning the Cow of the Woods path in Hoback Canyon and the Beaver Slide path on the west side of Teton Pass slid naturally depositing snow on the highways and a slide on Glory Bowl was triggered with explosives. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended today."

Stay Safe

Post subject: Re: On Hold
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:37 pm 

dln,

Sounds like you guys are getting the snow up there. I heard Jackson was a little thinner than normal. Any truth in that statement? Are the winds contributing to your avy conditions? The local news here (usually way off base BTW) is reporting very high winds in Wyoming.

I hit up Teton Pass two years ago. It was an epic adventure. You guys are blessed with great mountains and a beautiful state. I would love to tour the Teton's again. :drinks:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:29 pm 

Sounds like a good opportunity to spend some quality time on the south side...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:21 am 

sicksplitty - a little below average on snowpack, but we have been really spoiled the last 5-6 years. Winds have definitely contributed to the current state of the snowpack. This last system packed 80-90mph ridge top winds. Todays forecast stated "Over thirty inches of snow containing over four inches of water has fallen since Wednesday." If you're ever up in this neck of the woods drop me a line and we can shred.

nick - you are spot-on. the south side is the go-to.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:01 am 

dln,

Thanks for the update. 80-90mph sounds brutal. I don't think I'll make it up your way this year due to some prior commitments. When I do get a chance to make it up there I'll hit ya up for some local advice and hopefully we can rip it together. We got spoiled down here the last few years as well. Mother nature is not coperating at all this year. Sticks and stones is all we're finding. Thanks again for the Wyoming weather report. Please keep em coming!!