Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013/14 Greater Yellowstone Shred Thread: Conditions, Stoke
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:49 am 

nordicbordn wrote:
town side.. state land on end of mt ellis rd. worked out well.

Thanks. I XC ski on that land a lot but have never accessed the Forest up onto Ellis from there. Thanks for the beta.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:27 pm 

yup followed some xc ski tracks for a little ways.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:24 pm 

didnt see anyone on here at the friends of the GNFAC's sidecountry is backcountry lecture this week. pretty disappointing turnout. only three of us, including myself and the instructor. they had one in january and no one showed up to it. not tryin to bust anyones balls, but this is why i travel solo. do too many people think too highly of their backcountry knowledge to go to these things? or, maybe just arent reading the full advisories.. its on the bottom of the page everyday.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:39 pm 

nordicbordn wrote:
didnt see anyone on here at the friends of the GNFAC's sidecountry is backcountry lecture this week. pretty disappointing turnout. only three of us, including myself and the instructor. they had one in january and no one showed up to it. my question to all of you is, if you live in bozeman, whats your excuse for not showin up? not tryin to bust balls, but this is why i travel solo. too many people think too highly of their backcountry knowledge to go to these things, or, maybe just arent reading the full advisories.. its on the bottom of the page everyday.

I don't go in the "sidecountry" so this course wasn't for me. I was well aware that it was taking place as I read the daily bulletin consistently. I just haven't had a ski pass in a couple years so my knowledge gathering is best spent focusing on pure backcountry.

I've taken the GNFAC's "level one" course twice and a similar course in another Forest once. I've also taken the GNFAC "level two" course once. I have attended a few of the one-hour refreshers they offer here and there. I prefer the format of the in-depth courses that last for two evening sessions and one entire day field session as opposed to the overview courses. Those are great for beginners or as refreshers but I prefer immersion learning at a less-often rate over refresher learning at a more-often rate.

I'm not trying to bust your balls but isn't traveling solo breaking one of the cardinal rules of backcountry travel?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:08 am 

i dont know where these rules are comin from, but traveling solo is no more dangerous than traveling with a large group.. i have one rule when out in the backcountry. dont get caught in a fuckin avalanche. my track record is not the cleanest, but i assure you I will follow that rule to a T for the rest of my life.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:14 am 

I think we can all agree that the recommended safety tools for safely navigating avalanche terrain are a beacon, shovel, and probe. If you look at the operation of these tools you'll find the following. Beacon: requires a partner. Shovel: requires a partner. And probe: requires a partner. That's the logic I used in putting together what I referred to as a "cardinal rule".

Like I said, I wasn't trying to bust your balls for traveling solo, that's your right and if you're comfortable mitigating the risk then it's a really enjoyable activity. I was however busting your balls a bit for essentially calling readers of this forum ignorant for not attending a GNFAC class on sidecountry snow safety.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:20 pm 

yeah, so i just reread/edited my post.. i kind of come off as an asshole. not constructive in any way really. it was just a low turn out for the event and i was bummed.

on the shovel note- doesnt really require a partner (other than rescue scenarios), as i have dug just as many pits by myself as i have with groups.. probably more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:02 am 

Well played, nordicbordn. Diplomacy is an excellent attribute in a person. We should get back to talking about riding conditions in the GYE now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 am 

Lot of windloading and new snow all over the region. I dont think it would be too hard to find avalanche activity anywhere you venture. Going to Hebgen tomorrow. She's always good for a whumpf or a slash.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:04 am 

We were down there over the weekend. Definitely tricky conditions. Watch the facets buried 1-2' down. Big spatial variability (1 ECT propagated w/ a Q1, the other no propagation at all, same aspect & elevation), but plenty of collapsing and cracking in case you needed some more data! I imagine the wind did not help the situation. Good thing the terrain can be managed down there!

Propagated this collapse crossing the creek on the way to Bacon Rind yesterday- startling to say the least.Image

Great conditions on low angled slopes though

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:26 am 

where were your pits? ridgeline? was that your guys' shot of the cornice drop on todays advisory?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:34 am 

Crazies

Absaroka Beartooths

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:03 pm 

nordicbordn wrote:
where were your pits? ridgeline? was that your guys' shot of the cornice drop on todays advisory?

Pits were both on E facing slopes ~8k'. They were midslope, not ridgeline. More interested in what the shallower pack slightly below ridgeline would do. No shots in today's advisory.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next