Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: home on the range
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:28 pm 

i figured i should add a little montana stoke...

Since picking up splitboarding, I have spent my most of my April months traveling back to my home town, Augusta, on the Rocky Mtn Front Range. The snowpack always seems to be a little sketchy until spring anyways.
There is some great terrain that has probably never seen a ski or board. Only cowboys 'round here!

Now 8 months out of acl/knee repair, with my legs finally getting up to par, I made it into a new area i have been looking at all year on paper. I ended up car camping there for two days this past week, as it ended up containing a pretty unreal playground just 1.5 hrs from the car. 0 people, 2 bobcats, a moose, and the usual pheasant scare (almost always soiling my drawers).

2 solo days, over 21K up and down, 15.5 miles (thanks to whomever mentioned hillmap.com!), and (most importantly) minimal knee swelling!

I apologize for the crappy iphone photos, filters and all. One day I will invest in a real camera.

Over 2' has fallen here in the past 4 days... and it seems to be staying cold and stable.
As always, a great time to be in Montana.
thx

Post subject: Re: home on the range
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:50 pm 

Very cool. Nice to see photos from your neck of the woods. Nice shots, esp. of the forest!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:08 am 

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:08 pm 

Nice acopa. Not sure which peaks you're riding there but I did a 2 day trip to Caribou Pk 4 years ago. Phenomenal Bowl and vertical potential there but my trip got throttled down by a shallow pure-facet snowpack. Also, I couldn't find anyone to go with and its just not solo terrain if its not in perfect form avy wise. I'd love to go back. Has a very beary feel back in there. I couldn't find another soul who'd ever ridden it or knew of any others that had. You're right - the front has all manner of 1st descents in it. Cowboys & summer hikers....winter is wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:06 pm 

thx guys.

lewmt, Caribou peak is actually fairly close to where I grew up (up the Dearborn canyon, between Steamboat and Twin Buttes).
Did you access that through Augusta or Lincoln, and at what time during the winter/spring? Unfortunately, the lack of early winter precipitation usually sets up that shallow facety snowpack you mention. If you ever want to make that tour again, you have got a partner!