Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: SW Montana Conditions 2011/2012
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:17 am 

Not me but my coworker was up there on Sunday. He said it was waist deep and heavy at the top of the Bridger Lift but good skinning and skiing. He saw "tons of HUGE avalanches", which included watching a skier trigger a monster dry slab from the top of Saddle. Also saw lots of fresh debris in North Bowl and Avy Gully. He was amazed at the number of people skiing the Ridge and other steep terrain. When he left, he saw the Sheriff interviewing some guy and overheard him say "I'm pretty sure no one was below me when I triggered it...". 40 to 50 cars in the lot. He said it was a zoo.

On the news last night there was a report of a skier caught in a slide north of Bridger. The report was lacking details but it sounds like the guy was able to get out of it after a 50 foot ride but a dozen or so SAR members responded - so I assume he was injured.

I'm glad I slept late and went for a bike ride instead.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 am 

Wow. I am amazed at the stupidity of people around here sometimes (I don't exclude myself from that equation either).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:20 am 

nickstayner wrote:
Wow. I am amazed at the stupidity of people around here sometimes (I don't exclude myself from that equation either).

Yeah, everybody gets careless sometimes. I blame GoPro / YouTube and a misplaced craving for validation for a lot of these things. But then again, I'm getting old, jaded, and crotchity. Probably just have a few more years until I start sitting on my porch yelling at kids to keep off my lawn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:15 am 

I think those things definitely play into it. I also think that a lot of the Bridger Bowl problem has to do with the ease of access and ridiculously close proximity to a university that has a reputation of being one of the greatest ski colleges (which it is).
I know it shouldn't amaze me any more, but I just can't stop asking myself what the people who were skiing steep, exposed lines like Saddle yesterday expected. Active depth hoar layer that's run numerous times this season, an absolutely enormous load with hardly any time to adjust, above freezing temps, the Bridgers red flagged by the GNFAC numerous time during the season.... Which way would you seriously expect things to go, standing on top of Saddle yesterday? How would you expect it to turn out? Just crazy.... done ranting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:57 pm 

Well I guess my inadvertent last day of the season was a couple of weeks ago... I guess it's possible I'll get out again but probably nothing serious. Anyone else around these parts still shredding?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:33 pm 

...thinkin' about this season now I guess. ; )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8