Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: VT NY NH ME PQ 08/09
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:55 pm 

thur jan 29

wed storm came in dense w/ some unexpected winds overnight and this am. still, totals of 14-16" w/ reports of 20" down in central vt. today was brisk but creamy. didn't make dawn patrol but skinned up from top of triple over to national woods. quad, gondi and double were all on hold. good turns, worth the climb.

looks like we'll get above freezing next week at elevation. get it while its dry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:46 pm 

vtbackcountry wrote:
looks like we'll get above freezing next week at elevation. get it while its dry.

No, don't speak of it...

Can't wait to ride this weekend... Should be the best weekends this season... even if the last two were pretty amazing in the backcountry and even at the mountain!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:57 pm 

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Vermont backcountry season of 2008/2009 is officially ON! The woods are topped off, the core shot repairs at shops have dropped off considerably, and "terrain awareness" is a hot topic in the patrol rooms. :) I'm working quite a bit, so getting out there on my days off is tough, but if you are headed mansfield-way, gimme a holler, and perhaps we can take a tree run inbounds even if I am working that day.

:headbang:
Shep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:09 am 

AHHH Shep...

I wish I would have read this the other day... Internet has been on the fritz... Went up backside of Mansfield for the first time today since I have moved up here. BEAUTIFUL... it is all filled in and filled up! I believe the skin was up the Teardrop Trail... the trailhead via Underhill SP? Sound right? anyway, took a couple of clean runs... and the lot was full fo sho! Overall great snow and with the ammount of cars in the lot, only came across folks as I was on my way back down.. Passed a couple of guys heading up to do some winter camping.... Right on!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:30 pm 

tue feb 3

the snowpack has consolidated a bit since our last storm late last week which delivered 14-20" of new, plus an additional 6" on top of that the next day. we now have a supportable base w/ probably about 8-12" of fluff on top of a 36-50" base along upper ridgelines. turns yesterday in the bc were epic.

looks like we dodged a bullet the past couple days w/ temps at elevation staying just below freezing and preserving the dry goods for more outings this week. looks to stay cold up until this w/e, again playing w/ marginal temps.

tomorrow, planning to start sticking our necks out a bit and poking around above treeline. will report back, hopefully w/ some pics.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:01 pm 

it was good at the higher elevations if you knew where to look, although everything that can be accessed easily is pretty beat. had a great day until i broke my pinky. looks like i need to pick up some mittens so i can wear a splint when riding for the next couple weeks.

photo courtesy of jtran over on tgr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:47 am 

Agreed.

VTBackcountry and I found the same yesterday. There is still decent snow inbounds in the overlooked spots.....

Couple of pics to post later

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:00 pm 

grubbers wrote:
had a great day until i broke my pinky

nice, looks it...

so what up w/ breaking fingers lately?? twostowe snapped one earlier this season just strapping in...

WTF?? :lol: :lol:

oh, sorry grubbers. :?

back up on the hump tomorrow, monday was super sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:21 am 

As promised

VTBackcountry into the crux

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:09 am 

twostowe wrote:

nice mb.

sun feb 8

wow. what a difference 12 hours makes...

yesterday was still nice with dry goods on nw thru e aspects and a bit of dampening on s aspects. very cold clear nights over the past few days formed a steep temp gradient in the snowpack and actually created a few inches of large facets while sucking the moisture out of the top 4-6" or so. made for fast and light turns on friday on the hump. def one of my best bc days in vt yet. BUT...

things have changed overnight. strong S winds picked up last night and temps rose into mid to hi 30s. this am (sun), stowe village was at 41 and mansfield base at 36. ridgelines right at freezing. light rain this am w/ some fog, stuff melting. now sleet as of 9am and turning over quickly. snow expected today w/ dropping temps, then clearing mon/tues w/ moderating & warmer temps for mid-late week w/ poss r--- showers. entire snowpack is now saturated at all elevations, should lock up this pm and thru wed am.

looking for more snow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:42 am 

vtbackcountry, looking good. Glad to see you riding with someone who can actually take a picture for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:53 am 

solidago wrote:
Glad to see you riding with someone who can actually take a picture for you.

yep, i admit... i'm not a big fan of stopping mid-run to snap a shot. :lol:

twostowe just happens to be a fast rider AND willing to get the shot if it's there.

remember this one of you last year solidago?? i do, i took it. :headbang:
and kev humpin it...
i do take pictures, i do... :cry:

:doobie:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:00 am 

i can even post stuff under your user name now too... :lol: :lol:

anyway, welcome solidago. maybe you can take a few pics this year too.

i guess it's time we finally replace that camera i killed this fall :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next