Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: VT NY NH ME PQ 08/09
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:12 pm 

Has anybody been around the slides in the adirondacks? Curious to see if there is enough snow to justify a trip up to some of the slides.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:43 am 

jgiles3311 wrote:
Saturday or Sunday the 17th/18th depending on conditions. I had Camels Hump in mind

jordan - def up for a tour that weekend if conditions permit. pm me.

clindberg wrote:
Has anybody been around the slides in the adirondacks

not sure, but it sounds like they've been getting snow. they also got a bunch late Dec, so imagine base depths could be adequate. try calling ADK mtn club at adirondack loj at heart lake 518-523-3441. they may have more info for you regaring base depths and trail conditions for marcy, avy pass, colden, etc. worth trying, might help. otherwise, adk weather info at 518-523-3518.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:50 am 

fri jan 9

colder lately w/ some new snow in N. VT. about 10-12" new over past few days, helping to heal the holiday week damage. looking for more...

this w/e looks good for poking around the bc. watch for open river beds/drainages that are hiding just below any new snow. things are still lurking. weather should be ideal for touring this sat/sun w/ some sun and colder temps. hoping for some reports from others.

rock on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:07 am 

fri jan 15

39 BELOW here this am no shit, just temp not windchill. actually took a picture of the thermometer w/ my cell thru the window, will upload soon. unreal.

VERY cold past few days but sunny, barely 0 for daytime highs lately, obviously 30+ below at night. high pressure should slowly drift east loosening it's grip w/ snow expected sunday and more moderate temps, but still cold.

next week looks active and cold. bc is pretty much there w/ a base now and from 10-18" of dense pow on top. this sunday looks good for a tour for weekenders, should be snowing all day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:15 am 

Jan 19th

This weekend was off the hook! Despite not receiving that much snow, conditions are amazing. Snow fell through the weekend which resulted in about 6-8in in the last week. Forecasts are calling for snow thiw week with up to 10in by tuesday night. Temps will remain cold and snowy much of the week... so if you haven't made it out in the backcountry yet, this is about as good as it gets! Creeks and streams are now filled up and frozen. Snowpack is still variable but everything is nicely set up. Still have to be carefull at lower elevations but as soon as you reach 2000ft, the snow is great!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:52 am 

Big jay ... good to hear... been holding off for a bit more snow to fall...were u up on jay this weekend or elsewhere?

I would like to get out this coming weekend and think there may be a small group forming around the stowe way from what i briefly read in the threads, but am just really wanting to get out there...

lemme know
Erik

jahdrummin@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:30 am 

jahdrummin wrote:
Big jay ... good to hear... been holding off for a bit more snow to fall...were u up on jay this weekend or elsewhere?

I'm always up at Jay or somewhere around... I would like to make the drive down to Stowe... Should try and hook up with a few people here.

The only bad thing right now up here is that apparently, since Jay re-opened the ridge access to Big Jay, the place is flodded with riders and is getting bumpy in some areas... We might go check it out from the ridge early sat. morning and skin back up for a couple of laps... We'll see!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:10 pm 

tue jan 20

we hit ch a couple times this past week and stowe bc today, conditions are superb. things are def filled in above 3200' w/ some exposed drainages/water below that. stayed high on steeper NW aspects around the hump, skin in was good. set additional skin tracks in upper glades, 10-18" consolidated fluff.

colder temps move in again tonight but rebound tomorrow w/ sun. will be back up around the hump. looks to stay cold through early nxt week w/ little moisture to work with. a good time to start sniffing around the bc for the goods.

also looking for partners anytime midweek and sundays too. pm if interested, happy to guide if desired.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:03 pm 

things are looking good off the beaten path at stowe right now, although some of the lines higher up on mansfield could use another good storm to fill in a little more. going exploring tomorrow, so hopefully i'll find some good stuff and not spend an hour and a half bushwacking like i did on monday.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:21 am 

We got 5-7" of fluffy, sticky stuff over the last few days. It will compact down quite a bit, and not add too much to the Mansfield snow stake, but every little bit helps. It's going to get mind-numbingly cold, I hear, over the next few days...

Shep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:01 am 

Shep,

You are dead on with the cold... I left Burly this am with bluebird skies... arrived at Jay under a blanket of dark clouds.
Damn near got frost bite as the morning went on...extremely windy as well.. Hope all are riding well today!

Erik

jahdrummin@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:42 pm 

clindberg wrote:
Has anybody been around the slides in the adirondacks? Curious to see if there is enough snow to justify a trip up to some of the slides.

Thanks

i would say slides are in -- plenty of snow up there - was up there all week not this past week but week before -- didn't actually ride any slides but bagged a few peaks and toured a ton and got some turns in -- I have tons of Daks maps/beta etc. -- I typed out like a full on conditions report in response to your post the other day but lost it somehow and don't feel like retyping -- don't hesitate to contact me for more info/beta on the daks...

-will

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:26 pm 

wed jan 28

started DUMPING early this am, now at 12-14" as of 8 pm and still snowing steady in N. VT. should persist thru midnight w/ storm totals around 16-20" by thurs am at elevation. clearing thurs, planning to tour/ride mansfield w/ twostowe on a dawn patrol ascent.

so here we are... base depths in the bc along upper ridgelines and summits are finally approaching 50"+ and PRIMO. get out and get some while the gettin is good. things might be a bit of a slog tomorrow, but should settle out quickly. this w/e will be epic pretty much everywhere in the bc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next