Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:34 am 

coyne86 wrote:
hit up a tour on big jay yesterday. deep, light, and big cliffs was the name of the game. nice solid base underneath makes for some difficult skinning up from the bottom, but well worth the effort.

nice.

this is "pre-gash"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:48 am 

We'll be at the 242 parking saturday around 9:30-10:00... We'll make our way up there... You're welcome to join us, we have a solid group of 4... 3 with snowshoes... Look for a silver golf or gray Mazda3... We'll post pics and vids hopefully!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:16 pm 

you going back to big jay tomorrow? me and friend will be snowshoeing up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:48 pm 

sneeky jesus wrote:
you going back to big jay tomorrow? me and friend will be snowshoeing up.

Sorry... we tracked it all out!

Knee to waist deep in there. Access is still a struggle at a few spots... but traffic coming down helped a lot as things got packed and water turned to ice in most places...

I'll post a full TR later on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:27 pm 

we tried it today for the first time. first time for my buddy on snowshoes. took us maybe 2-2.5 hrs from the road. couldnt make it all the way up though, it got to a point where it was real steep and the trail we were following turned into ski boot holes. so, we clipped in and road it out. the ride out took us about 2 minutes, including stopping. all in all, we werent too thrilled with it. theres a point when your hiking in, right when it starts to get steep and the trail heads to the right to traverse. that section looked sick, and we hoped we would come down it. no such luck, we wound up coming back over the skin trail. and to make matters 20 times more aggravating, as we came back down the skin trail and reached that point, a group of 6 skiers were coming down the steep section. they obviously hadn't hiked either, none of them had any equipment, so i guess people are still walking the ridge in? pretty lame of them if you ask me, but at least they got to the summit. on the plus side, the pow was deep and fun, and the snowshoe up was fun ad had some real killer views out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:45 am 

Yep, you took one of the lines we did on saturday... We were at the bottom of the ice fall and tried to make our way back towards little jay (eastern ridge of big jay). We came on to a steep section (you'll see pics in the upcoming TR) and some guys decided to walk up the chute... It was my gf's first time on AT gear... she was tired... so we decided to stop for lunch there and do a run down that section.

What we SHOULD have done is follow through the middle of Big Jay and make our way up doing switchbacks out in the open... But so many people were coming down from the ridge that we tried to make our way away from the Jailhouse chute.

Anyways... I'll have my pics up tonight... Maybe a little real short video... We'll see!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:43 am 

thanks for the stoke bigJay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:14 pm 

bigjay, you gotta get down range this season, pm me for beta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:11 pm 

Nasty day that started out with some light snow, then freezing rain, and now rain. February better step it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:24 am 

coyne86 wrote:
Nasty day that started out with some light snow, then freezing rain, and now rain. February better step it up.

Yep... Last w-e was a bliss... But things don't look so good now... 3-4in of snow... then drizzle... then freezing rain for a couple of hours and then back to tiny layer of snow...

I think i'll head out in the woods tomorrow and hunt for new lines... Maybe even only on snowshoes... It probably won't be worth to ride down! I don't know... But yeah, February is off to a bad start!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:25 pm 

I snowshoed up timbuktu around 9 this morning to do some recon. Conditions were real variable, mix of nice powder, unbreakable ice crust, and spotty ice patches. A group of skiers went a little farther out, said that it was survival skiing. I interpreted that badly. That said, if you could find a spot that wasn't wind affected at all I'd have to say it could be alright, theres definitely 3-4 on top of the ice in spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:28 pm 

looks like its about that time to work on the stunts in the terrain park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:16 am 

coyne86 wrote:
looks like its about that time to work on the stunts in the terrain park.

Depends... Yesterday i went out on a solo run to check out some lines... Slim-pickins' but coverage is excellent... No one out there... PLUS, there was 4-5in of snow on top of the crud. Not slippery at all... and fast on the climbs...

It was snowing all day around Jay yesterday and conditions were incredible (compare to what i expected) on the slopes in the afternoon... Woods on Tramside didn't seem affected by the rain at all... No deep powder or anything... bud really fun and smooth! Good times!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next