Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010-2011 Utah Conditions
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:26 pm 

Went on dusk patrol today on Baldy Shoulder, Alta. 2+ feet of fresh heavy snow, some mashed potato faceshots, overall just too deep and slushy. I'd wait till we get a few nights of melt/freeze if I were you.

Snurfer, I haven't been up BCC lately but coverage is pretty damn great right now.

They had Superior gated off (had to drive the bypass) so sorry no reports on conditions on the Sup apron. I myself would not ride southface Superior at this time with all this heavy new snow and long running wet slides. Still snowing at Alta at 8 PM.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:49 am 

Buck: Yea I did Cardiff last night and it was super heavy. It was a lot lighter up top, but once you got where rain had been it was pretty heavy. There were a bunch of people dusk patrolling Alta/Baldy, but I didn't see another sole on Cardiff. I guess I will continue putting off Superior until corn season.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:46 am 

Thanks for the 411 Bucky! As well as the spring stoke.
The road trips have been real nice, for what its worth there is no way in hell I'd sleep at that clown joint :shock:

My first long trail race is tomorrow.
Along with ridiculous amounts of mud and truly brutal vert, the idea of being scantly clothed in snow at the 8300' summit has me thinking of dropping out.
It's just so much more appealing to get that vert on the snow with suitable attire.

Anyone running spring wax? Or is it so variable out there to make it pointless?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:34 pm 

Darin and I went and rode Baldy chute today. Surprised that I had to put the skin track in. We got first tracks down which was something i didn't think i would ever get especially starting around 8:30am. Snow was good, and surprisingly fast down to about the collins mid station. Not much of a refreeze if any. Tons of wet slides ripping down and over the hellgate cliffs.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:54 pm 

lots of cool trip reports, nice pics Bucky and Wasatch!!

Checking the reports here and there, but currently in full mountain bike and rock climb mode...will probably get out for a couple spring/summer? tours :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:34 am 

May 20th was a POW day! Brighton was empty, milly bowl untracked and deep!

Matt the splitboarding meteorologist, taking a snow sample here on his day off

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:09 am 

Sick shots Neil!

Anyone know how the density for the new snow that is supposed to start falling today/tonight is looking?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:16 pm 

What a shitty day, not only was the snow un-rideable slurpified mank, I left my Mojo66 and plate binders in
the fucking parking lot! :x God getting old sucks...
Just wanna put the word out before I head back up to see if its still there. 2008, mojo 166 (green) bunch of stickers , One yin yang clip /one K clip... :cry: :( :shock: :nononno: :? :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:12 pm 

damn that sucks doug. hope it's still there.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 pm 

Thx Dan, it was still there. Fuck I'm dumb (and grateful).

So anyways the snow got destroyed by the rain. Mank is too kind a word, every stride a splash fest. It was so wet I scarcely packed out a path on the up. I had to follow a sledneck track to get down off Milli. I think its going to have to snow a bunch to make that shit right.

{EDIT} Oh yeah, huge ass slides everywhere you look. God's Lawnmower was pretty huge, but the BBC side behind Alexander Basin was massive...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:22 pm 

damn thats too bad, the snow was pretty good yesterday. I was excited for more afternoon riding. oh well maybe it's time to give it up.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:16 am 

Snurfer: Thanks for snow quality report. I saw yesterday they were expecting upwards of 9" in LCC, but lowered the total. I guess I won't go for a tour today since I am not feeling like riding shitty snow.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:37 pm 

Trail run, snow observation...
I ran up Bowman Fork this afternoon to the intersection with Yellow Jacket Gulch (Approx 8000').
Everything above there looking from east to west (Alexander/Gobblers shoulder through Gobblers and into West Porter) still has good coverage.
Although I have no idea on the snow quality, at least it wasn't as slushy as Brighton was yesterday. I'm guessing the rain that fell yesterday has percolated out. There were zero signs of new snow in the last 24 hours in Bowman. Where I had seen brutal releases in BCC yesterday, most of those in Gobblers and Porter appeared smooth and rounded, as if some snow fell above 8K. Lastly Bowman trail is a no go as an approach or exit to this area. But Yellow Jacket (at least as far as I could see) looked like it would be skin-able from the Porter cabin road.
With sun forecast for Wednesday I wouldn't count on riding this area.

At any rate, it was an okay trail run. The up was a bit of a challenge. but the downhill in the slush and seasonal creek was rad!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next