Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010-2011 Utah Conditions
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:20 am 

Yeah Boyzzz, please pinch me, I think I'm dreaming. Went back to where it all got started for me.
Got about 4 laps in and the snow was still good when I left.
Hoping we get a decent corn cycle going before it all goes to shit. If you get out Today or Tuesday please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:38 am 

Hey UTAH, I got out yesterday.. :bananas: :lol: :thatrocks:

You guys interested in my recollections of this time last year?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:21 pm 

Didn't you see my name on that line before you dropped Alecs, I don't typically set goals or specific lines I would like to tag but that one just happen to be the top of my list of two. Deep slab instabilities and wind slabs kept me from it, and then when I was ready some no good, jobless (5 out of 7 days) snowboard bum snakes my line. Not gonna tell you my # 2 cause you'll just snake that one to. Now cut your hair, get yourself a job (a real job), a nice girl and education, pop out a couple youngins and join the ranks of...........................THE WEEKEND WARRIORS! Cause were hardcore, you don't want to mess with us.

In all seriousness though I've wanted to hit that line for about 8 years now, it's typically gnar but this year it's just a mellow shred so I think I'll wait till another year when it's back in good form, besides snow looked too soft anyways I like me some death ice.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:24 pm 

Ain't gotta worry bout me till it snows again. I gotta fake tooth due to that death ice :shit: , F that!! Good luck on your next mission, you better mount it up on the TR page :doobie:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 pm 

UTAH: going up flagstaff this morning there was a decent refreeze. As the sun came out of the clouds the snow heated up, I wouldn't call it corn but it seemed fun to ride down in. North facing had a crust and was pretty forgettable. On our exit everything was soaking wet and total mush, the snow pack is beyond saturated. The walls came down in Mill B south slides everywhere including a really big one on the eeney meeney miney moe area. Plus there is a huge standing glide below Lake Blanche that will probably come down in a day or two, I hope Bucky got a picture of it cuz i didn't.

Heart of Darkness Photo Essay(official name for me being too lazy to write a report):

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:10 pm 

...and here's a couple I shot. These Gargoyles guard the entrance to Thunderstruck/ Lighting Bolt:
Dan exits Heart of Darkness:
In Mill B: Hard to see in flat light but this creeping glide slab was interesting, and thick. Also note the slide in the background:

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:08 pm 

Headed up south of Brighton the other day. I was a little concerned the conditions would be garbage due to little to no refreeze for multiple days in a row now. Turned out to be ok early on but by noon it was soggy and sloppy even at 10k. Lots of wet sluffing out there and basically everything steep on every aspect I could see. Image

The highlight was probably being attacked by this guy on the sub-ridge to Pioneer Pk.

I've never been attacked by a wild animal before. I'm glad it wasn't something much bigger. It was a Blue Grouse. He followed us for 20 minutes up the ridge and I could get him to go away. I didn't want to hurt him cause he was probably guarding a nest but I got tired of him pecking my boots and slapping me with his wings so I scooped him up with my ski poles and tossed him over the ridge and he finally flew away. Persistent little guy.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:31 pm 

WhitePine wrote:
I've never been attacked by a wild animal before. I'm glad it wasn't something much bigger. It was a Blue Grouse. He followed us for 20 minutes up the ridge and I could get him to go away. I didn't want to hurt him cause he was probably guarding a nest but I got tired of him pecking my boots and slapping me with his wings so I scooped him up with my ski poles and tossed him over the ridge and he finally flew away. Persistent little guy.

haha that is probably the best report on this thread!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:21 pm 

Just got down off of Emma Ridge at Alta. About 18" of new snow, heavy and upside down, laying on firm old bed surface. Ski cuts set off long running wet sluffs in the main north-facing chute by Davenport Hill. The sensitivity and the high water weight of the new snow convinced us to skip dropping into steep north-facing terrain. We stuck to a ridge to get back down south-facing to the car, and member of our party still was able to set off a small pocket that pushed her off her feet. Upsidedown-ness and wetness of the snow meant we were punching all the way through to old snow bed surface in spots. Be cautious, it's pretty active, still snowing moderately. Another party reported long running heavy sluffs too. Hopefully it'll heal up quick.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:29 pm 

I don't know if anyone is still getting after it, but anyone touring Saturday or want to hit Superior on Saturday morning pending how the snow settles?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:18 pm 

Thanks Bucky-wondering what's going on up there.

Cory, that's too funny. Same thing with me one time. I've never seen my dog so scared in his life, when one of those birds chased him down the trail. Forever too.

and Snowvols I would say yes, I think Superior, S facing at least would be better to let corn up first. I don't think that will happen by the weekend, otherwise you'll likely be riding a nasty breakable. I noticed most the apron is a junk show as well, maybe this new snow covered it up, Bucky?

I also meant to say, hell yeah Wasatch, your pics have been killing it.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:48 am 

I was concerned about a nasty crust. I guess I will just have to get my touring fix tonight then after work.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:20 pm 

I haven't been out for a couple months, are there any good (snow coverage) approaches holding in BCC? :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next