Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010-2011 Utah Conditions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:23 am 

yesterday was a nice day...got a chance to get out on the split for a couple quick laps before work, starting to explore Brighton slackcountry...was a little concerned the snow might've been baked on this aspect but it was light and dry, had a couple small sluffs running on the crust underneath SE, S aspects

first lap rode the bowl, on the second lap rode it down into snake creek to about 9000, towards the bottom there was a sun crust

nice
sigs
timp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:28 pm 

A lot of turns have been made through this glide crack in Cardiac:
Skier in the Hallway:
The aptly named Pinball Alley:
I set off a loose snow sluff, ski-cutting a little windpillow in one of the east-facing minigolf chutes in Cardiff Bowl, which funneled up and spilled a ways down the apron, manageable though. I saw some other natural sluffing on south and west-facing at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:34 pm 

"Skier in the Hallway:"

haha...thats one of my buddies in that pic of the hallway couloir, there was probably a snowboarder below him somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:24 pm 

Didn't make it too far up the mountain. Glad I didn't go Willows. If I still rode resorts I would say today was a good day to be there. Riding was pretty unmanageable and the new dense 6-8 inches that came in upside down didn't help anything. So I spent most my time digging around.
Pit was on an E. facing aspect but a pretty protected one so probably not representative of most E facing aspects. Dug to about 2ft of the ground. All the well known layers were pretty easy to identify but got no results from the CT's I conducted.
Instabilities were limited to new snow which has set-up as a nice slab already and seems pretty reactive. Raining up to about Snowbird.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:53 pm 

UTAH you aren't kidding... I took my snow shoes and went to test out the new snurfer (no-board)... A foot of wet, dense, slabby snow resulted in digging a giant trench, with maybe one successful turn. Definitely an unpleasant day to be out... :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:12 pm 

UTAH wrote:
If I still rode resorts I would say today was a good day to be there.

You would be right, great turns today if you could get on something steep enough. In bounds, under a lift, I saw one 6" skier-triggered slab slide, that had stepped down much deeper. The deeper stuff didn't slide, just cracked, but clearly could have slid if on a steeper slope. I could see that a couple of the Fantasy Ridge chutes in Honeycomb Canyon had slid out pretty far. I stayed in bounds and still saw lots of cracking snow and some soft slabs forming.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:44 pm 

12/23 Big Water/Little Water periphery

Today was much improved over yesterday and the scenery was stunning... Trail breaking was still a chore and turns weren't great because of conservative angle selection.... No instabilities were noted....

No riding pics...But here is a five frame a panorama with Wasatch Surf...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:30 pm 

I hope lot's of people got a chance to get out today. Absolutely beautiful, makes my soul sing. Unfortunately my time was limited.
Cardiac is looking AKish
Pretty impressive natural cycle that took place a couple days ago. Things seem to have set-up fast but I'm sure you could still find a pocket if you try hard enough.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Years to all the friends I've had the pleasure to meet, tour with, and get to know on this site. Take care.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:11 pm 

Merry Christmas!! Today was a nice day to get out, we skinned out from Brighton, took three laps off Millicent and one below Wolverine cirque

Nice view of Superior

We decided to hit the Elevator Shaft at Brighton just to do it, Snow conditions were not favorable in here but it is a fun line

Took a second lap off Millicent rode North facing aspect down into lower Wolverine Cirque....snow was much better found some deep pow ....Cool Spindrift

Snowpit....elev apx.10,040 below wolverine cirque on the next roll over shot, East/NorthEast facing, slope angle 34, failure at CT25, Q2 sheer on light density snow about 18 inches down...was pretty confident with the results today...no instabilities noticed, snowpack was bomber

Steeper line, slope cut above chute produced no results.....Sigs

Lap 3 off Millicent, turns were spectacular on this aspect

more action

peace
-d

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:25 pm 

Nice work Mar123... It was a great day to be out...

12/25/2010
Thumbed up to Alta, skinned up Catherine's and Tusc and rode Wolverine Bowl... After Wolverine, we planned to traverse the north facing aprons off Tusc and finish with the east aprons. My friend on tele gear went first and pulled out this wind slab. Luckily it appeared to have ran during the storm cycle and the overlain wind slabs got hung up on the previous slides stauch wall. It temporarily intrained up to his boot tops, but he was easily able to ski off it. For a moment though it was scary serious. (Slide started at the red arrow, he skied off at the blue arrow)

Exit off lower east Tusc and into Dog lake to Brighton.

Me on Wolverine Bowl
We met up with friends for a round of beers and burgers at Molly Greens and caught a ride down Big Cottonwood. :guinness: It was good day

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:00 pm 

looks like there were a couple of wind slab slides in the same area we were in yesterday, one of the pictures on the UAC website of the Stupid Chute slide was almost identical to the pic I took of the spin drift... the wind was loading those shots pretty good all day, FYI we did not ride those yesterday...glad the skiier who was caught is ok

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:13 am 

Awesome tour, Snurfer.

Man, you Utah folks be safe out there. Conditions seem very sketchy right now, or is that just me? I've never scene slabs like below so I feel unqualified to make decisions in that type of snow.
For us, the bonding of anything over a day or two old is usually bomber. Be safe out there!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:25 pm 

That pic is actually from last year Brad. So is this one which is a slide I intentionally triggered in the notorious W. Monitor. Same Cycle but interestingly one week before the one Zach triggered. The next day after Zach was caught Bob Athey one of the local snow legends was caught and injured in a slide. A crazy year for sure our snowpack tends to heal up in that amount of time.
This years snowpack (knock on wood) has been bomber so far. Stuck to protected N faces today to avoid the sun crust. N facing rode nicely. Spent the day hitting some of those lines I've checked out forever but never bothered to hit. Like this one which from afar looked like a nice steep spiny section to mandatory 10 footer.
Ended up being more like mandatory 25 footer and I was caught off guard. Buttcheck and popped the waist strap on my 12+ year old pack. It was such a sick pack too. I'm super bummed right now.
Love that little exit chute next to Fig8, Mar123. I always expect that thing to go when I cut it too, but never has.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next