Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010-2011 Utah Conditions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:17 am 

Committed as I was to shed this 2 week cold, I ventured out to get some exercise. Rode NW aspect in BCC. Still some good stuff to be found. The crusted and thick-forested exit of Beartrap Fork was a bitch however. The rain below 8000 ft did not help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 pm 

WhitePine wrote:
Committed as I was to shed this 2 week cold, I ventured out to get some exercise. Rode NW aspect in BCC. Still some good stuff to be found. The crusted and thick-forested exit of Beartrap Fork was a bitch however. The rain below 8000 ft did not help.
Yeah the bottom of the exit around 3PM Sunday was the consistency of a refrozen Slurpee...
Surprisingly the upper trail descending from the Crest trail was pretty manageable, I rode all the way from the Crest to my truck.
Of course I got whipped in the face by small aspens a half dozen times when I traversed over to the sun crusted side of the gully :nononno:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:41 pm 

Fun fast bluebird up at Twin Lakes Pass. Image
A few inches of fresh, graupelly, fairly well bonded to the old snow.
We could see some surface snow activity, presumably from ski patrol at Alta, looks like long running surface sluffs, maybe some wind slab pockets too:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:02 pm 

Nice drops Bucky :headbang:

Bout the same conditions in middle BCC today... I'd say we need another storm sooooon...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:55 pm 

Is it ok to look for split partners in this thread? Seems like it gets more activity than the partner subforum...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:52 am 

Oh...Em...Jee...Is that Bucky boosting the phat mute air? My heavens....40+....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:00 pm 

cuz I'm so old and rad, rerun from a couple days ago:
Traveled in White Pine today with wasatch surf.
Some isolated unconsolidated graupel deposition zones were encountered on Red Baldy NW facing midslope below rocks, in a couple spots the graupel had a couple inch windslab on top of it. That was kind of alarming to skin through, but it was too stubborn to move and we saw no slide activity. Above tree line was pretty wind affected. Below treeline held better settled creamy powder.
Pfeiff was reportedly skied; I think I do see 3 people in this photo traversing over from Red Pine:
I'd like to say what I've heard about the name of this peak:
The alluringly split peak in the above photo is labeled "Thunder Mountain" on the USGS map. (Note that there are other nearby peaks called "North Thunder Mountain" and "South Thunder Mountain", but they are a couple drainages over to the west. Also, there are 2 "Thunder Bowls" nearby, but neither of them are on the "Thunder Mountain" pictured above.) This peak is more often colloquially referred to as "Lake Peak," though the lake at the bottom is dammed so Reservoir Peak might be more accurate? Then, one guidebook calls it "No Name Peak", and another skimap calls it "No Name Baldy." (But be aware that nearby "No Name Bowl" (AKA Upper Scotty's) (but don't confuse it with the other "No Name Bowl" on the Park City ridgeline) is not on the slopes of the peak pictured above.) (Also note the adjacent "White Baldy" peak is at the head of Red Pine Fork and "Red Baldy" peak is at the head of White Pine Fork - don't get it twisted. And there's another "Mt Baldy" further down the ridgeline.) (Furthermore, American Fork Twin Peaks is also right around the corner (though these 2 peaks are almost always accessed from Little Cottonwood Canyon, not American Fork Canyon), not to be confused with the other 2 other sets of mountains called "Twin Peaks" in the Central Wasatch.) Anyway I think this hill is the metaphysical epicenter of the f'ed up and unoriginal nomenclature of Wasatch Mountains. I'm going to start calling the above pictured peak, Peak 10718.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:30 pm 

White Pine, Pink Pine, Red Pine...Mill D South ? Cardiff Fork? , Cardiff Peak, Cardiff Pass, Cardiac Pass, Cardiac Bowl, Cardiac Ridge... and how many Dog Lakes are there? are they in Big water or Little water, neither of which are in Big or Little Cottonwood canyon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:48 pm 

Good point.... I just make up my own names... :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:51 pm 

saturday december 11,

got an early alpine start of 11:00 am. only had about an hour to ride so I pointed to the circus show that is little cottonwood and skinned up binx ridge.

tracks in west bowl

my signature for the day

even though i only took one lap I'm glad i got the south facing in good condition. The snow was blower and it was nice to get some redemption after the horrible ride that snurfer and i took there 2 weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:26 pm 

nice pics, was in the same zone today, I had some orange/red pants with a black jacket, not sure if I saw you or not

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:26 pm 

yup, saturday was $$$$ around patsey marley.
pics to come.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:57 pm 

finished my work, had the day off...perfect combination for a tour, wasnt planning on going out today but havent been touring in a while and made a last minute decision to go.

Never been in Mineral fork so I decided to check that out and head up to the room of doom. Met another party who came in from Mill B, I think it was Mr. Wowsatch and company, so check out his page for more info on the snow conditions whenever it gets posted... There were no other tracks in the bowl except theirs, thought it was going to be more tracked. From people I talked to the other day about their tour I thought the snow was better than expected...Almost Everything had a stout rime/ sun crust on it, On the High North Facing it was considerably less noticeable, Snow was creamy consolidated with a very thin crust, I thought the turns were great, always cool to check out another area:)

sorry no action shots

upper bowl

In case you want to go there

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next