Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010-2011 Utah Conditions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:29 pm 

buckchow wrote:
When I think of how much I benefit from their forecasts and evaluations and accident reports, it makes me a tad nervous that we won't have their expertise, now that we're moving into what promises to be a long spring splitboarding season.

I totally agree. I'll be donating for sure. I've been meaning to do it for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:47 am 

Might I suggest throwing JiveStick a bone as well.
Although some won't own up to it, I'm confident many consult his page as often as the UAC.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:20 pm 

Valid ideas by both Buckchow and Snurfer. We have great resources here, we need to support them.

It's supposed to rain up to 10,000ft tonight so I offer up this video in sacrifice to Ullr, Jah, Odin, Zuess, whoever... in hope that they turn the air cold and cover the mountains in a white blanket of purification.

:scratch:

anyway on to the video, this is back from the early part of march. i'm running out of 2-3 minute songs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 pm 

toured solo for the first time, snow was great, deep out there right now, a bit sketched on my run back to the road but Im safe so lesson learned

anyone getting out tomorrow?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:37 pm 

today was pretty good, in fact really good considering it's april and it was 70 degrees two days ago.

tested some boards today

Bucky

Jason

Bucky going mute

UTAH trying out a new Chimera splitboard

Jason looking for a spot to land

You can see in the last pic, Nic pulled out a slab when he landed. That pitch was much steeper than most of what we rode today, with a trigger and the correct angle the snow seemed reactive creating small new snow slabs. Cornices were also a little sensitive and deserved caution.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 pm 

good snow out there today, some sensitive wind slabs on nw facing chutes in upper days

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:54 pm 

anyone getting out tomorrow?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:10 pm 

today was good, nice photos^^^^ :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:56 pm 

good snow today, north facing aspects quite a bit deeper, s facing can feel the crust layer underneath, no instabilities noted, gooood snow

buddy hucking himself off that rock in Mill D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:56 am 

The Wasatch has not sucked lately. :headbang:

Question: Have any of you had a look at the Henry Mountains this spring? I will be spending next week in Ticaboo for work stuff and I'm trying to decide if I want to take my personal vehicle (with no reimbursement for fuel, mileage) and split Mount Ellen's east face. There is a RAWS station showing a total season snow water equivalence of about 10" of precip but its located on a south facer at 8.5k' so not very valuable.

I know, sack up and taker yer shit down there and see for yourself but money's a little tight right now.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:22 am 

Sorry Stagger wish I could help. Could to see you chime in though. Here's a fun video from Sunday, you need a snorkel out there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:54 am 

Stagger - I can't say much about the Henry's but I was down in southern Canyonlands in mid-March and coverage was looking good in the La Sals and Abajo's (At least from the highway). Since it wasn't a splitting trip I can't say much about snow quality or anything but looked really tempting. Granted a lot can change in a month. So yeah, pretty much not a lot of help to you. Sorry.

UTAH - Great video. I love days like that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:14 pm 

Stagger Lee wrote:
The Wasatch has not sucked lately. :headbang:

Question: Have any of you had a look at the Henry Mountains this spring? I will be spending next week in Ticaboo for work stuff and I'm trying to decide if I want to take my personal vehicle (with no reimbursement for fuel, mileage) and split Mount Ellen's east face. There is a RAWS station showing a total season snow water equivalence of about 10" of precip but its located on a south facer at 8.5k' so not very valuable.

I know, sack up and taker yer shit down there and see for yourself but money's a little tight right now.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
I was in Moab over the weekend. What the wind did not carry away from the La Sals looked to be melted, or melting (lots of brown sections).
What approach and what day[s] are you planning to hit Mt Ellen?
Are you going to drive from Powell all the way back to Hanksville and approach from the NE via Lonesome Beaver?
Or take the Starr Springs road along the south and approach from the SW? Just curious, I've been thinking of going camping down that way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next