Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 am 

So I am a little bit late but I got out to the Grizzlgulch Nov22. I was a little skeptical leaving the house with strong winds but when we pulled into the parking lot it was calm and clear. It was pretty thin still with sharks lingering but we did manage to get a few good turns in. The pack seemed pretty stable but I did see the mentioned facets on the dirt, however, they had bonded pretty well. Skinned up to honeycomb. Soaked in the views and ended up with a few good turns. Hoping this storm brings enough new snow!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:35 pm 

Ventured up Mill D over to Reynolds Peak area today

easily a foot+ of new and counting
put 2 laps in the bowl and 3 laps on the North side
got a little soft slab to release on the facets, starting at the first arrow and ending at the second...not much snow in the starting zone, slow moving, manageable
some north facing tracks
great coverage and blower!!

A fellow splitter was up there early in the morning and put a couple laps in Reynolds bowl, snow was already covering the skinner when I headed up around noon. anyone from here?

take care!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:41 am 

Up on the Red Pine/maybird ridgeline Tuesday afternoon, I triggered sympathetic isolated soft slab failures in the snowpack, propogating up to 50' away. This was right along the normal skinning path, it propagated up above me through a small rocky area just shy of the ridge and I did not expect it. It was just the top couple inches that slid, on a weak, thick low density layer that seemed to be new low density powder over surface hoar. They packed very little punch and did not hardly run at all in the varied low angle terrain i was in but i could imagine wideopen steep slopes wpuld run long. Snow was upsidedown with the top couple inches denser than softer fresh powder below it. Over a foot of new snow above 9000'. Knee deep trail breaking. Poles plunged up to handgrips at places. Some minor sluffing of the top couple denser inches into maybird gully. Maybird gully not filled in enough to ride.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:46 pm 

went up to TLP after work and school today for a quickie. Snow felt weird-sandpaper like. No one was around to ask if it was slow for them too. My first pow experience of the year was somewhat lack-luster. Hit some land mines on the way down but not too bad. One track down flagstaff looked THIN. No one was touching the north facing stuff off of TLP, a few tracks down patsy marley but they fell straight fall line to the mellow terrain to minimize exposure. Thought about adding my track but it was cold, I was alone, and I didn't give a shit. Temps were brutal, 1degree at the trailhead at 3:00pm. negative up top. My new black diamond dawn patrol pants kept my ass nice and cold.

got into one pretty steep roll over with some smallish cliffs. Did a hard slope cut and got the first 5-6" to slide. More of just loose sluff, but it did propagate a little on each side underneath the cliff bands(large boulders). The roll over was maybe all of about 50 vertical ft so low consequence, but I would have been sad if I would have found myself in that sort of terrain on a bigger scale today. I would have taken some photos but my phone died in the cold. Rime everywhere. I aired a 2ft boulder so I could consider my run freeski mountaineering.

didn't dig any pits, because well I hardly ever do, and it was COLD. Sorry I can't provide any geeky snow info.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:41 pm 

went on a dawn patrol today at butler fork. Struck out. Plenty of snow to ride. About 10-16 inches of fresh on top of 12-18 inches of old snow in the north facing aspens but no room too turn with all the bushes. Plan B was Reynolds. Probably should have went with plan B... And Ya, it was F'n cold today. I had 1 inch sweat hoars growing outa my jacket. I got the day off tomorrow and don't know if I even want to bother.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:50 pm 

Thanks for all the obs guys. Bucky, up in Maybird, getting after it. Right on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:16 pm 

I went to Mill D North today. Not as cold as I was expecting thanks to calm winds but still cold! Transitions were a bitch.
Rode Reynolds N and NE bowls and exited on Toms hill. They all rode great except for the first few turns in the NE bowl. Lots of bottom feeding up there. The east aspect of Reynolds NE bowl is still hurting from the wind event a few weeks ago.

Sweat crystals!
Best turns of the day

It was a bit foggy in BCC

If anyone cares what the snowpack looks like up there... Sheltered N facing ~ 9000K facets on the ground and on top of layer from the 11/17 storm. 2-2.5' total depth

Nothing moved, except for the top 2-4 inches of fluff cracking here and there while skinning. Didn't notice much wind loading on the east aspects, but I did notice a budding cornice on Reynolds peak.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:52 pm 

Headed out with Bucky today, went up to MillD nrth again ...checked out some coverage in areas and had some nice mellow cruising turns. Cold, light winds, and fluffy snow.

the further down you went it looked more like this...ok in some spots but more snow needed to make it good
the higher up you went it looked more like this
just before it started getting sucky
looks good but not sure if it was worth it
curly and COLD!!
better turns were had over here
one more for Ansel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:20 pm 

Nice Switchback and Mar123!

I've sworn off riding shortswing early season, it's way too brushy down low these days. turns in PP3 looked great!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:00 am 

^yep, shortswing needs more time to fill in, although if your feeling a bit chipper you can make it happen top to bottom...top section rode great though.

PP3 rode great, filled in nicely. Still plenty of pow left for some turns.

Observed tracks in Beartrap glades and Willows area too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 pm 

Headed up Cardiff today to Cardiac ridge

Cold
Harvesting the crops
Laps...super duper pow pow

the occasional wind gust out of the south brought the pain, if it wasn't cold enough already. maybe 10-15mph at times. Good coverage on the main trail, approached from the BCC side.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:02 pm 

Took a ride down Patsy Marley today. Good coverage but too cold and slow to take a second lap.
The forecast looks bittersweet ay? Lots of snow but -2 for a high sunday? yikes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:10 pm 

Way to get after it mar123. Knew it was slow and it was going to be cold so my plan was to use my truck as the heating hut if need be. Put a couple down GW and one down Milli. Super cold, did get a chance to peak into upper NE/E facing. Noticed a natural that looked to be from yesterday. It broke half way down, if it had broke out closer to the ridgeline I might have contiplated taking advantage of it. No pits too coooooooold. Take care.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next