Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:47 pm 

I spotted fresh cougar tracks all over the place in Ophir canyon back on MLK day. My dog loves that place because there are bones littered up and down each drainage.

Then, the following Friday, I was touring up in City Creek found this in my skin track on my way back down to my bicycle.
I'm not sure how closely it followed me, but I did find where it joined my skin track. It appeared to jump out of a tree whose limbs reached out over my skintrack.

It's hard to tell in this crappy picture but the prints were practically as wide as my "ski".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:52 pm 

Also, this thread is full of so much radness :headbang: Thanks for sharing!

Also Also, It's probably bad form to ask for beta, since I'm lazy and don't post much, but has anyone been in the Tushars lately? I'm heading into the Snorkeling Elk yurt on Monday and I'm kinda curious about coverage along the route into Big John Flat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:24 pm 

I was in the Tushars a month ago and both the FS road and the traverse from the ski area to Big John Flat had plenty of coverage. I expect that the road has some melted out sections now, but the traverse is shorter and I am sure still has plenty of cover.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:28 am 

mej wrote:
I was in the Tushars a month ago and both the FS road and the traverse from the ski area to Big John Flat had plenty of coverage. I expect that the road has some melted out sections now, but the traverse is shorter and I am sure still has plenty of cover.

Awesome. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:39 am 

Much radness dudes! Nice work on Superior Dan, although that second to last pic is scares the piss out of me - and guys please don't shoot the kitty cats, they don't have a say in us being their neighbors, much less having us as guests in their ranges :)

Stagger Lee wrote:
Also, this thread is full of so much radness :headbang: Thanks for sharing!

Also Also, It's probably bad form to ask for beta, since I'm lazy and don't post much, but has anyone been in the Tushars lately? I'm heading into the Snorkeling Elk yurt on Monday and I'm kinda curious about coverage along the route into Big John Flat.

Good to see you posting again, have fun down south - From this mornings Wasatch Snow Forecast "The big winner yesterday was Eagle Point in central Utah, which is reporting 13″ of fresh snow!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:42 am 

Snurfer, I promise to keep my bullets out of the kitties as long as they keep their teeth out of my windpipe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:14 am 

SwitchBack wrote:
Snurfer, I promise to keep my bullets out of the kitties as long as they keep their teeth out of my windpipe.
I hear ya, I'm all about protecting oneself. But it's common that media sensationalism brings out the angry mob mentality with regard to wildlife, when no real threat exists, or harm occurred. I definitely lament the fact that my dog is too old to trail run with me, because running after/before dark in the summer is really awesome and I no longer posses firearms (personal choice not a judgement of those that do). That said, if the day should come when I'm laid low by a mountain cat, I'll cross over considering it an honor.

Apologies for thread drift, carry-on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:07 pm 

Slightly off topic. During the year it snowed last, I was hitting the twin coulies on the 4th of July and on the hike out some 20-something guy had a dead rattler in one hand missing a head and trying to kill another. I asked him why he was doing that and he said it rattled at him. I remember thinking you are an asshole so I figured he was probably carrying a gun as it was right outside of Grantsville. I did want to be his next victim and I walked away. The moral is people are effed up in the head.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:38 am 

According to Kennecott biologists there are 35-40 cougars in the Oquirrhs. That is quite a few when you consider how small the range is! Here I am with one of the adult females in Butterfield Canyon:

She was lunging to get out of my arms when the pic was taken. Her front paws are HUGE, probably double the size of a similar-weight dog. She weighed 95 pounds, so I semi-jokingly said that at 200 lbs, maybe I could take her in a fistfight. The trapper who was there just laughed and said I wouldn't have a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:20 pm 

Awesome shot mej!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:56 pm 

Sweet pic mej. That sure does sound like a lot for a range that size. Does anyone know how many call the Wasatch/tri canyon area home? I hope no one hear thinks that Im for killing cougars. Ive never shot an animal in my life and would be more inclined to arm myself for human predators than a cougar. I think all predator are super cool. Cougars just creep me out.

Cougars aside, it was bittersweet today in the hills. I couldn't see shit when the clouds were up but once it cleared up the snow got wet.

Snow was good though. 2 sleds and 2 helis doing their thing in Cardiff :nononno:

Does anyone know what happened in spruces yesterday? cops were blocking the lot around 5 last night

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:24 pm 

Awesome pic Matt! Nice work on the South Ridge Dan...pucker walking on those cornices!

Been sick think it may be the stomach flu or food poisoning. Starting to feel the strength return. Needed some fresh air out of the house.

Went for a quick lap in Days. Busy in the central Wasatch, Cardiff looked like a resort, Sled tracks, Helicopters, Lots of people out touring. Cant really see the tracks in NSuperior but it was pretty much tracked out wall to wall.
Managed to get an nice untracked shot from the ridge. Snow was still good.
Snow was more damp down lower and very saturated on the flats

Noted rollerballing and small point releases on south and west facing. Sweating like a pig on the skin up. I'd imagine almost everything will have a stout crust by tomorrow morning, except maybe high north facing?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:22 pm 

Today was pretty marginal in the areas I traveled, yet still fun. Snow totals at adjacent resorts were greatly exaggerated.
At one point I could easily see my tracks from last Wednesday. At 10K'

The weird weather left me with a chest cold and the rapidly receding snow and exposed hazards down low are signs for me to turn my attention to other activities.
I've enjoyed everyone's posts this season, as well as the few times I've toured with some of you. Have a great off-season.

Cheers!

I leave you with some wildlife stoke from last Thursday's trail run @ Antelope Island
Bros

Staring contest

Central Wasatch (left) Frary Peak (center) Stansbury Mountains (right of center)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next