Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:19 pm 

We rode off the top of Broads Fork East Twin yesterday. There were remains of a few new (less than 48 hr old) wind slab avalanches in the Diving Board and upper Broads Fork area on NE facing. The snow in the NW chute was smooth and wind affected with no instability. The hike out Deaf Smith Fork was just fine. Here's Jason M heading up the booter:
Nice to ride with you all up in Broads this past weekend!

Also I got some new photos up on mah tumblr: http://monktadaelmeowy.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:06 pm 

Nice Bucky! been wanting to get after that line for a while :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:10 am 

Strong work, Bucky. Feeding off of the stoke everyone is posting in the Utah Conditions thread is keeping me sane.

I got the stitches out on the elbow and doc said probably 3 months until full recovery. Turns all year will be tough to do but I think I might try some mellow slopes to just check off the months. My Alaska trip had to be canceled so I am thinking of heading to Argentina this summer, anyone have any beta?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:41 am 

Wow, Bucky, if you didn't mind that exit then you must have a higher tolerance for misery than I do. Did you walk through the creek where it narrows or go up and over the rock rib?
I was in a party of five that rode Athey's Line/ Yer Crazy on Sunday. It was variable wind board through most of the line. We could see your booter going up to the summit of the Twins. Looks like this storm laid down another good layer of wind board in the high elevations. Hopefully several inches fell after the wind died down late last night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:18 am 

mej - The exit out Deaf Smith Fork was some bushwackboarding, some bushwacksplitskiing, some creekhiking, some trailstrolling. My personal preference when descending canyons is to stay in the water course whenever feasible, which I did at the choke narrows. Certainly a subpar exit fork, but not so bad really, I mean you just blast downward, not too much decision making, whereas a buchwacky ascent can present lots of opportunity for second guessing and wasted upward movement. Another party who rode NW chute that day chose to boot back up to the ridge of Broads and ski down the Diving Board run, which I salute, but I am trying to make conservative decisions and the recent slab slides on rock both sides of that run dissuaded me from that. Really wanna go back and ride the east face of Broads though, yum, looks awesome. Logan- glad you're looking at summer objectives. We're shook by what happen to you and glad you're recovering man.

Nic UTAH emerges from the shadows:

Nic UTAH drops:

And here's that hike out Deaf Smith... psyche... actually in a tributary of the Grand Canyon last week, guess sometimes I do leave the watercourse:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:52 pm 

Logan glad to hear you are on the mend dude. After seven months of injuries I can certainly empathize with you, being injured just isn't very fun.
But considering what you went through I'm glad you are here, if not a little banged up.

Seeing that I got discharged from physical therapy last week and successfully made another journey round the sun, I felt obligated to go look at the new snow today.
Conditions were good/interesting and the snow rode fast!

Ventured through Bear Trap, Mule Hollow and West Willow, broke a shit ton of trail. Light snow fell the entire day with intermittent sunshine, making for weird light conditions.
Pretty cool day, but took one hard spill in Willow and mildly re-tweaked my back. The ride out was amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 pm 

today was pretty sick, bottomless, overhead, choker, blower!! There was literally zero wind effect on west facing. Temps stayed cool not sure about south facing but id imagine most things will be blower tomorrow as well...tomorrow should be pretty epic!! Probably some of the best turns of the year for me.

unreal turns back down to the main skinner...stability was great, snow was glued, no major sluffing
back up for another little chute just lookers right of benson
went back up to check out another chute down and lookers left of benson, been eyeing this one for some time, the ramp is hidden, it goes
went up far enough to just peak around the corner...the chute itself looks pretty sic, almost certain it goes from the ridge, can get a good view of it from Georges bowl
but it does have some serious exposure, you have to make a hard left onto the ramp or your going over a cliff...didnt feel comfortable hitting this solo and with no way to self arrest...maybe abother time...not sure if there is a name for this or if anyone has skied it
view of that line from Georges...critical left turn
one last lap on a nice treed chute lower down...skinning up
from the ridge...sunset turning red, gotta hurry
skinned up the lookers right, rode lookers left....probably the most kickturns I have ever made on a skinner :P

peace :headbang:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:43 pm 

Doug so stoked to see you touring again. beautiful shots.

Dave's a fucking killer. i've been looking at some of those chutes as well. There's one just up from B&H bucky and I tried called the pussy palace(or at least that's what we called it). might be time to rally and actually get it. solid work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 pm 

Glad to see you're back at it Doug! What to do about injuries: Fight them? Accept and accommodate? Medication? In the end none of us get out alive so, whatever, I dunno what the conclusion there is. Nice job sniffing out Reed and Benson ridge Dave, I wanna get in there with you. Here shots of John L from today. So beautiful up there. 2 other people in Broads and absolutely no one in Mill B on the exit. More coyote tracks than humans.

Damn it feels good to be a splitter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:10 pm 

Damn good day in the mountains! Glad we could get that run done today Bucky and thanks for making me look cool!

162 never summer DIY
Karakoram SL's

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:17 am 

Dan and Bucky thanks for the encouraging words and continued sharing of stoke. Same goes for Nic, Dave and crews.
BTW If I haven't said so previously; props to Switchback for your clean lines this season, dig your style and approach.

Conversely, to the multiple crews that burned up my skinner on Tuesday, have your mom get you a lift pass so you can learn to link more than two fucking turns. Gawd you clowns left a mess :nononno:

But I digress :soapbox:

I headed back out Wednesday, it was quite cold in the morning under clear skies, lots of surface faceting made for a greasy skinner. Steep N/NW evergreens rode really well with some nice deep pockets, face shots and manageable sluffs.

Midday I dropped into some unfamiliar southerly terrain with large open meadows and enormous, well spaced aspens. In terms of flow and finese the turns were best of season for me. The slog back up under the midday sun was a clinic in glomp and hydration management. Warm! The 2k' parting shot through the steep evergreens and on out to the road capped a good day.

Dave, if you're conservative rolling solo then I'm simply a wuss ;) I stood looking down this line two days in a row and just couldn't pull the trigger. (Huge cornices on either side sharing a common run-out)

Tuesday's long line in a better light - the natural pipe through the trees was the real deal - rock hard ice under a skiff of pow, in bad light made for some hard ass crashes- ouch!

Random snow art

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:19 am 

Bucky-great photos! strong work. how long you think travel up broads will be advisable?

Doug- that photo of the long line is awesome. super aesthetic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:24 am 

plenty of snow in the la sals, just got back from my first trip there, hope to be back soon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next