Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:56 pm 

Nice work everyone. I'm glad everyone has gotten after it. :rock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:06 pm 

some stoke from today, very pleasant conditions light breeze and partial clouds...prolly a bit cooler today than the last few days

me...south face was holding nice fluff this morning
UTAH
UTAH
me
lines
yeah brah!!

nice low density fluff over a spongy base...skinning back up the south face the snow was damp but was not overly concerned about wet slides today at least on this slope

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:30 pm 

Back to Back stoke...today was another good one, early start due to the predicted rising temps

UTAH slashing...great snow, again low density on a spongy base...you can see evidence of wind effect on shoulders but line was great top to bottom
UTAH breaking...some minor wet sluffing observed on the southerly aspects mid way up...temps were cooler up higher in the colouir
from the top...some evidence of an old booter...line was completely filled in, dropping
UTAH opening it up

Some observations of minor wet sluffing on southerly aspects. At the bottom skinng up we witnessed snow shedding off rock slabs and cascading over cliffs far lookers right making a scary rumble, was a bit intimidating...but in this case "a dog's bark is worse than its bite". Was enough to deter a party of 4 just in front of us...not judging them on their call, to each their own.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:06 pm 

Nice job UTAH and mar123! That is a nice line. That stuff in Snake Creek looks good too. Glad nobody blew up on the apron like JJ. I got out today with my buddy Ian hoping to beat the heat in the Grunge Couloir and we succeeded. I went up the Grunge a couple years ago but didn't make it to the top for a couple reasons. I have wanted to finish the job ever since.

Skinning up.

There was a good breeze on the way up and the north slopes were wind effected. The couloir itself was great though. It had slid pretty big prior to the Thursday storm so there was 5-10 inches of settled pow on a hard base in there.

Heading up the couloir.

We wanted to switch over on the flat ridge near the N summit of timp but wallowing in 4 feet of facets on a 50+ degree slope near the ridgetop (a common feature of couloir tops and ridgelines in the Wasatch I have found) kept us from getting there. Instead we backtracked and headed up to the top of the chute where it is hemmed in by cliffs. The problem there is that you need to switch over on a really steep slope. Switching over was a challenge. The ride down was sublime.

After exiting the couloir we traversed over to a 2000' N facing line that dumps you onto the Timpooneke Road. I actually popped out a 15'x20'x4" wind pillow near the top of this chute, which wasn't surprising since there had been some loading there on our way up. On the road it was 30 min of skinning and we were back at the Bear Canyon trail, and 15 minutes of teeth chattering frozen forest trail riding after that we were at the car. As much as getting up early in the spring sucks it sure is nice to be home by 1 pm. For those that are interested it looks like the Alpine Loop road is melted out above the closure gate so sled access might not be possible anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:57 am 

Nice Dave and Nic!
Mej- stoked that you finally can put that one behind you. beautiful line.
This weekend was pretty awesome. Couldn't go quite as big as I wanted due to work on saturday and still getting my energy back up from hitting the bong and laying on the couch all of February. Grizzly, Silver, and Days rode insanely well on saturday and we saw no one until we dropped into days. Jeff is in town from Hawaii and we hit a lap on the obelisk and hogum 200 sunday. wanted to venture to coalpit or maybe take a look at the needle, but decided to wait until another day as the needle had several tracks and the coalpit exit seemed like an ordeal. The hogum exit was interesting, took a wrong turn in some brush and had some hateful moments thrashing about, but Jason found a summer trail that lead us straight to the car. I'll post pics later.

Snow obs- good and hot, things got windy and cooled off late sunday afternoon up high. pulled out one long running sluff on a chute in the obelisk.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:40 pm 

did a few laps on george's exited mineral. best turns of the season for me, at least on terrain less than about 35 degrees. if you didn't get out today i'm sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 am 

I dont know why but after six seasons in the Wasatch it started to bother me that I have not ticked this one off. Maybe I avoided it due to all the crowds and knowing that there's a 95% chance I will not get first tracks down... But it is an awesome line and kudos to all you hard working, headlamp wearing, dawn patrollers getting first tracks!

Driving up at about 6:45 there had to be at least 30 people on the ridge with headlamps, but I mentally prepared myself knowing what I was in for today. Just enjoy a beautiful morning and hit this line. It stung knowing that there are so many fresh lines to be had out there with zero people, but also its nice ticking this one off in somewhat good conditions regardless of the crowds.

Beautiful Sunrise, with a solo track down the North Face...wish I was headed down there but I feel obligated at this point
first tracks...
and thats that

Even with a gazillion tracks in by 9AM the snow was fantastic and multiple faceshots were had. :D :headbang: Also got a chance to really put the Mr. Chomps split crampons to the test on a bullet proof exposed face off the ridge... they work so good, would highly recommend a pair to anyone with sparks.

Enjoy the pow pow, its really good out there!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:47 pm 

I finally got the wife out for a dusk patrol outing. She's finally good enough to start venturing into the backcountry and she has still never experienced a line of powder without crossing someone else's tracks. Until yesterday, that is. I think she might be converted. It was a beautiful thing. We hit the trail yesterday afternoon just as the storm broke and the sun popped out. It was perfect timing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 am 

nice job Dave! I still have that one on my list too. We did a days fork tour that day and it was sublime. So nice to have good stability, party riding down main days was one of the highlights of my season for sure.

That's awesome Whitepine! helping someone get their first real backcountry powder tour is priceless.

Full TR coming from the past week but for now a few pics

Hard to get pics when you're with this crew. Can't get in front of them! Scooby2 in lower days. If you ever see a line with 2 turns to everyone else's 10 you know you just saw his track.

just about the clearest day I can remember in the wahsnatch. Uinta's looking good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:43 pm 

Well done folks :headbang:
Up until today, March has been an undesirable stew of work deadlines, and fear, doubt and trepidation about my physical health.
BUT.... I just got discharged from PT and I have ten days of uninterrupted vacation time starting Saturday! :bananas:
Thanks for all the stoke and inspiration fellas :bow:

I know I have an emoticon fetish :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:46 pm 

Yesterday

Today

a couple of Hendrix solos later...

Non solar aspects have been riding real good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:53 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Well done folks :headbang:
Up until today, March has been an undesirable stew of work deadlines, and fear, doubt and trepidation about my physical health.
BUT.... I just got discharged from PT and I have ten days of uninterrupted vacation time starting Saturday! :bananas:
Thanks for all the stoke and inspiration fellas :bow:

I know I have an emoticon fetish :oops:

hell yes! if you wanna tour or run let me know I could use both. I have some afternoons and weekends off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:17 pm 

photo dump....Broads/Mill B stoke...stability and good snow :clap:

well some stability, closer look at the glide in Broads
UTAH skinning up
UTAH harvesting the goods
UTAH riding with Wasatch Don, Barrows, and Keffler above...and Bucky, can you find him
da east face, nice work
view into Mill B
Buckchow has 2 bindings
Barrows shredding
Wasatch Don, looking for the next turn
Keffler
Wasatch Don, Barrows, Bucky, Keffler(behind Bucky), UTAH, Mar123(photo)

Good snow found on high northerly and easterly aspects to about 7800...Nice meeting you Barrows, Keffler and Wasatch Don today, fun turns!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next