Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:01 pm 

Breaking down a line

Just thought id share some of my thoughts on route selection when in the backcountry. Right or wrong thought it may provide some insight or at least be somewhat thought provoking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:04 pm 

Awesome Dave, nice analysis!

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:42 am 

Well done gentlemen :headbang:
Looking forward to the forecast 4-5' by Monday night :bananas:

and to the Wasatch SplitFest

but not wanting to risk further setbacks with my back injury I'll be going at a snails pace within the mellowest of zones :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:36 am 

Dave-

Apparently this line naturaled sometime between when you rode it Wednesday afternoon and midday Thursday. It apparently started at the ridge right next to where you dropped in and ran 700-800 vert. The discoverer speculated a cornice fall triggered it, but my guess is that he may have confused your cornice kicking for a natural fall. Looking at the wind data at the Baldy and Cardiff Peak sites, there was a brief bump in wind speeds last night, so it is possible a little bit of additional wind loading tipped the balance.

I agree that you picked the safest line down that face and that your analysis for the most part is correct, although I would argue that the runout of that path is actually very nasty- lots of pucker trees in the fall line. The question also remains as to whether the safest line down the face was still too dangerous, especially when one is riding solo. Given the choice of center punching, riding your line, or backing off altogether, I think I would have backed off all together. This is especially true if I had seen the fresh slide below Superior, as you had.

We all have our risk/reward equation. I happen to be willing to take minimal risk in order to ski good powder- I would rather just ride pow in a 28 deg glade. But I will take considerable risk in order to ski a big line regardless of whether it is wind board or pow. More risk than some people think is prudent I am sure. Other people never ski avalanche slopes this time of year because the reward is never worth the risk for them.

These last couple days of accidents are very interesting. Two people got avalanched yesterday right next to the Superior slide while trying to get to the Heart of Darkness. Before Wednesday I thought things were probably pretty safe. Now I am happy that the danger will be clear, starting today. One of the great (and scary) things about the Wasatch is that somebody almost always finds the hidden dragon in the snowpack. We get a lot of feedback on how safe the snow actually is since there are people out testing everything.

On a side note, this storm could be spectacular. 2.5-4.5 inches of water is likely in the Cottonwoods through Monday. And even though temps will spike, things should cool off again for the last 5-10 inches of the storm on Monday. And current models have another wet storm Wed-Thu. Things could get crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:31 am 

Hey Matt,

yeah saw that report, interesting. Hard to tell exactly what happened as there are no photos of a crown or starting zones. The debris pile looks really small so I doubt the whole line slid. I wonder if the "steep rocky terrain" he is talking about is the cliff band above the lower bowl? I could see snow shedding off that and triggering a soft slab within the new snow...The runout could be better and is actually clear if you stay right. Regardless there were spots on the slope that I wanted to avoid, and for me I feel good about my choices that day.

Seems that most of the other incidents have occurred on N facing big open bowls that probably have been getting wind loaded from the previous days South winds and developing denser wind slabs. So I guess maybe one thing to take home is after a wind loading event try to avoid big open slopes?

Im not an expert and try to learn something new every time I go out, Its good to talk about these things and not just post stoke pics. :D

Will def. be dialing things back for the next few days...Will be interesting to see if we get a big avalanche cycle with this heavy snowfall, stoked for more snow! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:52 pm 

nice job guys. my immune system is a total twat and I seem to have gotten the flu for the second time this year! FML! oh well stoked to make some turns with everyone next week at the splitfest!

awesome breakdown Dave. Love that line, but always scares me. repeater every year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:28 pm 

Got up for a quick walk after work today. Highway to heaven is in. Looked like upper LCC S facing went through a natural cycle. Looked to be limited to new snow only. It was deep and slow, winds were ramping up and moving snow.

Great discussion. Dan hope you feel better I was hoping to get out sometime this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:31 pm 

Although it looks like most of these recent slides are only involving new snow, be it wind transported or storm snow, I would say that a common thread in all of them is a relatively shallow overall snowpack. ..

Anyway, I poked around in Butler Basin today. I observed windloading on east and north aspects as well as mid elevation cross loading on exposed east aspects. There was alot of cracking with a few feet of propagation at the skis on these aspects. Soft to medium density slabs, consisting of the new graupel and wind transported snow were forming. The top few feet of the snow pack is definitely gonna be upside down with all that cold smoke that didn't have a chance to consolidate yet. North facing slopes were almost too deep and unsupportable. A lot of trenching in low angle slopes made.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:12 pm 

here are some photos for my non splitboarding adventure sunday. trying to up my mountaineering/climbing game. thought it would be easy, twas not. spent about 2hours belaying my buddy here and got a lot of water in my ebay mountaineering boots. didn't discover this until the hike out around 7:30. probably the source of my illness now. oh well still fun I guess.

my buddy tom on his 1st or 2nd trad lead. some important lesson's learned that day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:21 pm 

Awesome wasatch surf! Congrats to ur buddy on his first trad leads. Trad and mountaineering is the whole reason I got in to climbing. Where was that at?

Ended up going up most of the way up tanners last night. Started at about 630pm. Got down at 120am or so. Not for recreation; we (slc SAR) had a rescue with wbr for an injured skier. Broken tib and fib. Wbr brought the patient down from the bottom of the bowl and met up with us at 9335ft. Side slipped the whole way down as did everybody; it's different when it's a rescue and u have a lot of gear. Snow fall was predicted to intensify a about 11pm but the snowfall never did increase during our time. Winds were blowing a lot of snow around. Luckily Uneventful snow stability-wise. There was avy debris about half way up; some smart car sized blocks of debris. Keep it safe this weekend and hope u get some good turns!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:23 pm 

ryan14410 wrote:
Awesome wasatch surf! Congrats to ur buddy on his first trad leads. Trad and mountaineering is the whole reason I got in to climbing. Where was that at?

Ended up going up most of the way up tanners last night. Started at about 630pm. Got down at 120am or so. Not for recreation; we (slc SAR) had a rescue with wbr for an injured skier. Broken tib and fib. Wbr brought the patient down from the bottom of the bowl and met up with us at 9335ft. Side slipped the whole way down as did everybody; it's different when it's a rescue and u have a lot of gear. Snow fall was predicted to intensify a about 11pm but the snowfall never did increase during our time. Winds were blowing a lot of snow around. Luckily Uneventful snow stability-wise. There was avy debris about half way up; some smart car sized blocks of debris. Keep it safe this weekend and hope u get some good turns!

some random spot on mt. olympus. not sure if it has a name or not. damn surprised some one was skiing tanners yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:34 pm 

Aspens were super good today. Wind was a blowin, snow was a snowin. Reports were big got most of it and it came in a little denser. Snow was fast and supportable but still felt super deeeep.

Tanners would just be plain silly. Steep walls that tend to shed themselves consistently. Interesting, nice work Ryan.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:07 pm 

Good work Ryan. I agree. Tanners is way to sketchy to be storm skiing.

Mill D was deep and dense today.
Be careful where you guys park. I saw 4 tow trucks heading up BCC as I was leaving. The spruces lot was a shit show. We need a Monday storm to thin the herd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next