Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:21 am 

Wow, great pics Dave! Thanks again for the tour fellas, it was good to get out with you guys.

Have a fun, safe Holiday :santa: :guinness:

Only a couple pics turned out
Bucky 'sticks' an aerial in watercolor

Quad Lift

Conditions - Saturday Dec 22- BCC; Mill D south (Cardiff)

Light snow (graupel) began falling as we left the trailhead - the latest layer of snow ranged from 3-5" as we gained altitude. This on top of what had fallen of the past few days added up to as much a 12" in places. Right side up by all accounts, but the range and variety of underlying layers was all over the place.

In a couple of places I punched through about 3' to the ground while skinning :shock:

On the approach to our first line of choice we felt a significant settling of the entire surrounding snowpack, dropping an inch or so. This was on a mostly western aspect of around 30°, a few impromptu pits made it clear we needed to back off. In my case the block pulled out as soon as I made the last cut of the block; at about 20" down on an obvious crust. Later an impromptu ruschblok confirmed the 20" slab that was forming in certain places.

The two lines we ended up riding were from 10k'; N and NNE, in the 25° - 30° range with some good surfy pow (see Mar123 pics). No instabilities were observed on those slopes.
By the last run, visibility was horrible, but the home run was a blast!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:44 pm 

Anyone lose a smartphone in the Swamp lot? Found one this afternoon, describe it and it's yours. Pretty sure its unfixable...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:13 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
SchralphMacchio wrote:
Anyone care to show a California splitter and an Austrian East Coast skier around on NYE or NYD? If things are touchy, we'll probably end up at the Bird, but would love to skin if anyone feels like being magnanimous and showing us about.
Hey Schrap, if i'm not working those days i'll be touring and happy to show you guys around. we are finally getting some snow so hopefully some of our rocks and bushes will get covered by then.

Right on man, I'll send you a PM with info.

JRoh wrote:
A buddy and I are having a nye party in the avenues and everyone is welcome. He and I are heading north to alaska this winter so this will also be a going away party. There will be plenty of other backcountry splitters and skiers if you're still looking for some partners in the area.

Also, if anyone has connections in wyoming, montana, Bc, washington or Ak, I'd love to get out for some laps. Just figured I'd put it out there. Thanks!

For directions, hit me (james) up at 614.425.1240

Right on dude, that sounds cool! I think we might be staying in Sandy (not sure yet) so it might be a bit far out, but thanks for the invite. I'll send you a PM with info.

Also, I will be in Jackson from 12/25 through 12/30. Splitting time (literally!) between the resort and touring, assuming I can get beta and conditions info from some friends. Anyways, if you decide to get out there, we can join up.

Everyone else- thanks for the beta and stoke! Even if I only get some low angle touring, I'll be stoked. There is literally no snow on the ground in the mountains around Tahoe right now!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:17 pm 

Headed out yesterday to enjoy the sun with low expectations for riding. Surprisingly there were very few folks out (relatively speaking) and the snow was amazing.
Stuck to north facing, low angle evergreen lines where there was 4-8" of settled pow with a nicely ride-able base.

Not so much collapsing as Dec 22nd, but snow is still punchy with a distinct 20" slab sitting on a mix of facets and crusts.

Lots of Christmas ribbons on the lower flanks of east facing Cardiff

Wind effects

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:20 am 

great shots Doug!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:02 pm 

BCC 8600' SW facing 35°

I'm one of those weirdos that likes following game trails and abandoned human trails to see where they lead (e.g. intentional bushwhacking). So if you see an aimless skinner, don't follow - I'm just wandering around looking at shit. At any rate, today I found some interesting terrain not far from the parking lot, slogged around in the sun, found some protected pow in a playful little tube feature, dug a pit and talked to a moose.

Pit

The problem

Mini Golf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:21 pm 

Nice work, Doug! Looks like a fun little zone with creamy turns to be had.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:55 am 

It seems as if everyone I normally tour with either plans on being far too hungover or busy doing other things tomorrow to get out. Anyone down to get out for a tour of any sorts tomorrow?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:30 am 

Snowvols wrote:
It seems as if everyone I normally tour with either plans on being far too hungover or busy doing other things tomorrow to get out. Anyone down to get out for a tour of any sorts tomorrow?
That was my experience the entire time I was off for Christmas break. What/where do you have in mind?

Went out as recently as 12/29; most of the go-to zones have been pummeled into mogul runs and most oddball terrain options have been destroyed by sun/wind, or under funded with snow. That being the case I've been keen to road trip east tomorrow, just to browse. Taking mntn bike along and my split gear, with zero expectations for finding any snow to slide on. Always welcome a copilot if you're interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:43 am 

Snurfer wrote:
Snowvols wrote:
That was my experience the entire time I was off for Christmas break. What/where do you have in mind?

yeah seriously guys, I was counting to on someone getting out and posting some shit to get me through my work desk torture.

I hit reynolds-tom's again yesterday. soft snow in shaded areas. south facing is insanely bare. west is crust, east is kind of crust. everything is tracked out. facets are out of control. but it's still better than sitting at home doing nothing I guess. I'm headed to canada for 10days, hopefully it snows an ass load while i'm gone. if it does say safe guys. if not guess we can start the trail running season early.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:38 pm 

I headed south in search of untracked snow.
I found sand loading on east aspects....

...crossloading and sloughing on south facing slopes.

Decided not to risk it.
Be safe out there guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:18 pm 

Nice one Switchback :)

Dan sounds like you had better conditions than we had in the foothills of the eastern most Uintas - Have a good time in Canada and stay safe brother.

Props to Logan for being a trooper and going to the "Elkhorn Rail session" with me today. Highlights included death defying survival riding through this very shallow burn area with nothing but super facets to ground and lots of rail (deadfall) slides. The herd of badass bull elk that broke trail for us and the the mellow older slednecks that asked 'Are you guys lost".

And the Uintah Basin's infamous inversion (its not just for city slickers)

Conditions stunk but the road went!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:39 pm 

Happy New Year...Headed into Days in search of cream...dolla dolla bill y'all
wasn't very optimistic but the turns were good

need more snow :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next