Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:58 pm 

mar123 wrote:
black bess...Buckchow
Looking forward to the speaker series tonight!

Nice pics Dave, good to see you down there again. Lets get out and tour again soon.

Thanks for the after-hours beers before driving back to Heber, Buckchow... I ended up spending Valentine's Fri out w/ my lady, hope you guys scored some

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:34 pm 

^^thanks, yes will keep in touch

another day with the Splitfest crew...headed up Beartrap
?
Claymond pow slasher

Nice creamy dense pow turns from 10k-9k...below that the snow was increasingly manky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:51 pm 

Went up to George's today. Only red flags noted was the amount of wind being transported. Kept the skin track pretty safe into the trees. Had a nice group kick a cornice as we were skinning up. Seemed more of a dick move on their part than anything.

Yeah good turns were found.

See everyone tonight! :guinness:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:48 pm 

I dropped this cornice

in Georges today.
I was using Georges as an exit after coming from Alta and looking at a very large avalanche in upper Cardiff.
I am not in the habit of randomly kicking cornices. The drop was a stability test to insure a safe descent.
I followed the path left by the cornice crossing no tracks till reaching the flat where I found an up track.
I saw a single person had just arrived at the ridge when I looked back. That was the first person I'd seen all day.
If you felt threatened, I'd suggest a rethinking of route selection choice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:43 pm 

mar123 wrote:
^^looking forward to the splitfest!

some good turns today, nice low density snow sitting on firm spongy base. Wasn't riding deep but it rode very nice.
looking back upper bowl, heading over to another shot
exit out, some cool looking trees

Where were these turns at? Looks comfy!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:48 am 

Looks like some good turns were had by those attending the splitfest and others, nice work. Bummed I didn't have the energy to get out for more than an hour or two and hang with you all. It was still nice to get into the mountains and get the heart rate up. Too beat to go to the evening sessions as well :(

Thanks for sharing the sweet pics guys :headbang:

Sorry to hear about the ruffled feathers Logan. Unfortunately, people tend to ascend directly up George's. When I've toured solo there I stick to the trees to the southeast and only cross the slope near the top where I have a clear line of sight with the ridge. Every time I've been there with others, or amongst other parties the track has been set right up the line with lots of blind spots, people on slope while others are dropping, etc. This is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier in this thread about the west deso area and monitors - It's all about perspective and which side of the fence you happen to be on :twocents:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:52 am 

pow_hnd wrote:
mar123 wrote:
Where we're these turns at? Looks comfy!
Upper NW facing Beartrap. If you happen to mountain bike, this is just below and south off the Crest Trail.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:52 am 

^^yessir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:40 am 

Jive, this was a skier as I saw the person ski down. I don't think it was you? Not really wanting to get into a pissing match on the internet. We were kicking the skin track back into the trees in a flat spot. I was fine by the track we were putting in. There were a few tracks already in George's at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:08 pm 

I was on skis that day but, there were no tracks on the hill prior to my descent.
Sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:16 pm 

8:00am BCC overcast no wind
7800' at the trail-head - two inches of fresh intermingled with graupel. Increasing up to four inches with elevation and aspect.
Skinning conditions were perfect today with dust on a soft supportable base. Got a little bouncy in the flats through old tracks, but not bad.

Snurfing 8200-9200', S, 30-40°
No instabilities were noted
Conditions were dry powder over supporting base.
Despite being bright it wasn't overly sunny and temps were not unbearably warm. Winds picked up about 11:45am but were short lived.
No sign of mank today, yeah! :thumpsup:

After digging a pit (see below) I stumbled across a south facing glade that looked like it might be fun to lap. As I ascended past the initial sub ridge I discovered it was around 1000' shot, with lots of terrain to farm, so I put in a meandering up-track and lapped 1000' tree shots until I couldn't climb anymore. Ended up getting about 4500' ascent and nearly as much riding.

Best day I've had this season :rock:

Pit 8500', E/SE, 30°
First fracture 4 wrist taps
Second fracture 8 elbow taps

This particular slope was too wind board to be any fun, but it sits in the sun and wind so no surprise. More importantly it's been a while since I dug a pit and this was an interesting one. I was shocked to see 140cm of snow!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:15 pm 

Looking to get out Weds and Thurs if anyone wants to join. PM me... Would love to get some new partners, all the old ones have moved away....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:06 am 

Rode east facing Cardiff yesterday. There was a lot of wind transport going on, both cross loading from the south and top loading from the east. 10000 to 9500 was stiff windboard. 9500 to 8500 was creamy. 8500 to the trail head was a death defying bobsled course.

It was great meeting most of you guys at splitfest!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next