Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:21 pm 

Nice work gentlemen! Posts are almost more interesting in low snow times. :mrgreen:

SwitchBack, nice pic of the "sandloading". Appropriate term, eh?

Snurfer and Snowvols, way to get out on an adventure. Better than most of us could do. :D And Mar123, finding untracked snow as always. Got your message the other day, thanks for the ring, and let's get out soon!

Here's a few pics of a fun tour with UTAH the day after Christmas... sorry it's late, the snow was good, the day was great, and UTAH helped me past the wall. :banghead:

UTAH skate style on the lip

One

Two

Three

It was like a first date... :thumpsup:

Or, a second date... :headbang:

Peace y'all, and Happy New Year!

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:27 pm 

Cardiff/George's Bowl...getting deep, really deep
Snow was absolutely nuking while we were out from 12-3, widespread cracking, propagation, and natural sluffing observed on the way out on steeper rollovers, limited to the top few inches of new snow, perhaps a density change within the top few inches?

Winds were cranking on the ridge, snow was starting to feel slabby towards the upper bowl

Snow is stacking up, winds are cranking...be safe!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:14 pm 

So it snowed finally.... Went to Mill D-N today. Id estimate about 10-14 inches fell since yesterday. Very light and face-shotty :D but a bit slow :( . I was felt the bottom on some turns but the snow did a decent job of covering up the heavily tracked out slopes of Mill D North. Best turned of the year by far!

I would describe the snowfall rates at time to be dumping, puking, or as my friends like to say, DIARRHEAING!

Due East facing ridgelines were getting hammered by wind deposited snow, as forecasted. I found soft wind slabs as deep as 6 inches but I bet they were a little deeper lower in the sweet spots for that kind of loading. The new snow was absolutely cohesionless, hence the crazy amount of faceshots. In the couple pits I dug, I had a hard time isolating the storm snow. The snowpack was more or less faceted throughout, beside the new stuff of course. The weakest layer was at the ground.

I had a storm slough chasing me down a steeper slope (~35 degrees) for a bit but it was slow and didn't entrained much snow.

One thing that I noticed when I got back to the truck was that was angle of repose for the new snow that had accumulated on my tailgate (right side of pic) was about 33 degrees, and the new snow sloughed on a 35 degree slope but stayed put on the sub 30 degree slopes I rode today. I think that's a neat visualization of how light and cohesionless the new snow is.

Also when I was driving home around 14:00, I got blasted by a ridiculously crazy gust of wind near Storm Mountain. Instant whiteout! Trees bent in half! When main gust stopped there was about an inch of snow on a previously snow free roadway. I thought a slide came down onto the road! Ive been around a tornado before and this gust felt stronger. Did anyone else notice this wind this afternoon?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:00 pm 

Nice work getting out on a storm day mar123 and Switchback! Seems like avalanche conditions could be interesting for an avalanche class this coming weekend.

Here's the flyer for the next installment. Just wanted to make sure all the Utah splitters saw this. Should be a sweet show!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:17 am 

What is gents,

With nothing on the horizon in these parts, think I'm gonna chase this storm out your way...lucky dogs.

Hoping to do some touring this weekend or early next week if conditions allow. Any interest in showing a few kook flat-landers around?

:thumpsup: :mrgreen: :guinness:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:09 pm 

some turn stoke from today...kept it mellow

good visibility today, a bit warmer, wasn't snowing, winds were gusting in exposed areas not too obnoxious but enough to effect the snow but not enough to ruin the good riding, yet :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:57 pm 

Got out yesterday and rode S facing PC ridgeline. It was crazy windy to the point of being no fun to be out there. I Literally got knocked down by the wind on the ridgeline. One and done for me. South and and west was windpacked but rode creamy a few turns from the ridge. Out of the wind there was 1 to 1.5 feet of fresh snow.

Low ceiling

I did a dawn patrol at Butler fork this morning. Id say around a foot of fresh fell in that drainage . There was a zipper crust on all aspects. Ok riding conditions. Dense pow under the crust.

Raymond slid in a few spots. Looked like soft storm slabs and sloughing

It was really beautiful out there this morning. Warm and calm. But due to the meh riding conditions I decided to take advantage of the weather and save my legs for the next storm and did some catching. Horray for powder turns and trout.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:54 pm 

Went up Pink Pine ridge planning to drop into Red Pine and do some laps in there this morning. Still really thin on that west facing side though, ended up doing a couple laps off the East side of the ridge. Decent snow, crust here or there, dense but soft everywhere else

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:22 pm 

Headed into White Pine today, East facing rode surprisingly well with nice soft creamy turns. Crusts were present on multiple aspects seemed like they were breaking down and softened as temps warmed throughout the day. Overall some good turns still to be had, rode better than expected.

some scrambling involved today :D
UTAH getting shradical
looking back
pow spray stoke
pit

no instabilities noticed...dug a pit on the same face as the last photo, NE/E column compression tests produced no results

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:22 am 

Those are some great shots mar123, wish I could return the favor but I gotta work on my action shots. Nasty crust on some aspects optimistic by what we found digging around.
Take Care.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 am 

Nice work guys! :headbang: Glad to see people still getting after it. Hopefully it snows again sometime this year

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:11 pm 

Upper Efacing seems to be going through a nice cycle right now. Maybe a variation of the annual January corn cycle. The crust didn't seem to be as widespread as it was on Saturday but didn't poke around too many other aspects.
Take care

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:31 am 

Man. All of you are getting really good with your cameras in recent years. Thanks for all the entertainment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next