Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off the (badly) beaten path
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:40 am 

I spent a coulple of days touring outside the Wasatch range. While some folks might enjoy this as a TR I tend to be wordy, so here is a photo dump.

Signatures

This one is for Alister

Sundog

Windboard

Scenics

Team Snovols

Post subject: Re: Off the (badly) beaten path
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:30 am 

Nice photos!

Stansburys?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:43 pm 

Ssssh!
Yeah, its the Stanbury's, but as you can see they are totally unappealing and highly overrated :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:54 pm 

Sick photos Doug! We will have to do it again. Did you get those trees we talked about yesterday?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:41 pm 

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing. Lots to explore in this state, both summer and winter...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:48 pm 

Snowvols wrote:
Sick photos Doug! We will have to do it again. Did you get those trees we talked about yesterday?
Thanks, good times! No apsens. Anything white in the photos was completely wind jacked, full-on windboard, but the north facing evergreens held really good pow :D
Incidentally, multiple repeater wind slab slides took out your lower skin track, in one place scouring to bare rock (lookers left) :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:28 pm 

That is the one part of the skinner I was concerned about. I think in those spots it was about a foot to a foot and a half deep in terms of the pack. I also noticed a couple hollow spots while skinning which made me change directions skinning pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:25 am 

How did you manage the approach? The is a long dirt road in the summer and I'm almost positive its not plowed. Snowmobiles?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:56 am 

WhitePine wrote:
How did you manage the approach? The is a long dirt road in the summer and I'm almost positive its not plowed. Snowmobiles?
Its not that far IMO and I'm not much of a motorhead, so no sleds for me (TETO). Its about four miles on the approach plus whatever you decide to skin/ride.
Snovol's party took almost an entire day to do the North Col, whereas I poked around and did multiple lines on two occasions. In both cases I was back at my car by 3PM (starting at 6am and 7am respectively).

Perhaps I see this as "not that far" because I do significant trail runs up to eight hours at a time. On the other hand I'm not that fit, I'm middle aged and have lots of injuries. Any young buck ought to be able to have a good time up there without much fuss.
It is however, REALLY FAR FROM HELP. So self sufficiency, and the ability to balance confidence with the humility to back down is crucial.

All to often I think people feel obligated to push safety for challenging objectives having put in such an effort to get to it. I tend not to tour with singular objectives, but rather I look at zones and let the landscape, light, shadow, contours and snowpack dictate what I ride. Sorry to get philosophical, but I really believe that our sense of entitlement often clouds our better judgement (e.g. I walked all F'n day and I earned this line, etc...).

Anyways if you're ever interested in going up there let me know and I will PM you. Unfortuantely, I'm thinking the quality of snow after today/tomorrow will rapidly decline :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:39 am 

Let me know about this! I am totally down to go back. I really want to ride those burned trees. I want to get back for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:46 pm 

I'm not either. I've only ridden one once. Did you have to park where the pavement ends or could you get close to the narrows?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 pm 

Snowvols wrote:
Let me know about this! I am totally down to go back. I really want to ride those burned trees. I want to get back for sure.
I may go this Saturday, but I'm skeptical about the snow. That said, the trees in Dry Lake Fork should be in decent shape.
Anyways, I'm going to trail run this afternoon and assess how I feel about running vs snurfing this weekend. I'll txt you. (Corey if you are interested, PM me and I'll keep you in the loop)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 pm 

WhitePine wrote:
I'm not either. I've only ridden one once. Did you have to park where the pavement ends or could you get close to the narrows?

It is where the pavement ends. Maybe 2 miles away or so from the narrows.