Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2012-13 Conditions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:56 pm 

sorry for being a photo hog....anywho the conditions are pretty sick right now incase you are just getting into town or waking up from a 3 day siesta

cold smoke in the AM and anything in direct sun was getting damp by mid afternoon...Was in Broads today 11:30-3:30

timing was the name of the game today...hopefully it looked like this on your way up...

and this on your way down...

great turns and no inabilities

broke a pin today on the second lap, normally I have a spare in my pack, but...sticks work great and they're eco friendly

some more sig action

snow, sun, snow, sun, snow, sun

enjoy! be safe!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 pm 

Today was awesome again once the whiteout ended around noon. Skinned up flagstaff again, did a few laps in Days Fork and rode back down the SE face of flagstaff back to the truck. Face shots every turn with the exception of a couple heavy turns on S facing terrain on my exit. Like yesterday the new snow was cracking near the skis/ not bonding too well to the old snow. Also, the sun came out for about an hour and it was enough to get the low density top layer moving. I kicked off a small slide near the top of the north side of the ridgeline and a bigger soft slab released just under the cliffs in the second pic I posted. Too far away too tell if another skier set it off or if it was natural. Overall its been a great last few days.

Here is one from thursday night that came out pretty cool

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 pm 

^^^^^^ I was hoping for one more sick pow day. Concern for the day was soft/wind slabs. Was able to get lot's of sensitive cornices down on a NE face with nothing but gouging/sluffing out as the result. Rode steeper NF lines, thant rode deep, rather grabby and slow, no complaints however better than we could have hoped.
Found a pocket in this exit chute. Came over the roll to get into the chute and it broke out 15 feet in front of me. Luckily had already commited to straighting the line so I was able to ride it out Tom Burt style. Wild.
Another pocket, similar feature, not ours.
From a couple weeks back. Had the oppurtinity to set the track up a more popular zone of the Wasatch. Was a bit eery to be in here with no one around.
Take Care.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:33 pm 

Had a nice half day from Grizzly, poked around a bit and found good stability on N facing @10k with a few big cornice cuts. Rode very nice, a bit slow but maybe it's my wax.

Lots of untouched lines this afternoon
Visibility was tough at times, got a few openings though
UDOT's skin track team was working hard
Buddy got some heelside love
Found one of those little pockets that was kinda deep. Super soft slab that I was able to arrest in. S facing gully with crossloading that ran on the warm crust.
Watch the terrain traps and buried suncrusts, especially if riding alone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:42 am 

argenta was tits yesterday. got first tracks sort of down greaseball or whatever the main little chute is from the top, best turns of the year for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:18 pm 

Not a lot of time this morning so we wanted to go up Scotty's but it had 2 doz tracks in it so we went for a quick one on pink pine ridge down the main chute. It had 2 tracks in it from yesterday, and more off Pink pine trees. We skinned up the ridge main skintrack (some instability from windloading on the South and East facing sun crust) and then booted half way to the top from where the rocks start to get into the chute. Snow was great and cold, quite a bit of sluff but still manageable, didn't find any propagation. Still some soft patches in the shared lower tree stuff, fast and icy skin track down to the car. Fun 2 hour round trip.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:23 pm 

here is a little edit I put together from the past few months.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:00 pm 

*Rant*

Went out today and headed to 2 Dogs rode and it was good. After we rode that we skinned up towards the hallway. I was dumb and left my puffy and my shell on. I was hot as could be. There was another group that passed us and eventually beat me to the top. I was going pretty slow today for myself but not dreadful slow. I am still sick and rode the bike for a few hours while training for this Ironman I am dumb enough to do. One of the guys in the other group told the guy in my group that was up there with them I should hit a treadmill as they were able to snake us for the Hallway. What is the point of saying that about someone that is enjoying the mountains? Sorry they are going slower than you are today. I don't know why I let that bother me probably because I have been the fat kid my whole life until just a couple years ago. Anyways some stoke.

*End Rant*

Morgan sending the cliff in 2 Dogs.

I broke my ladder while skinning or something.

6 tracks down Hallway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm 

damn Logan, fuck that guy. you probably have a bigger dick than he does so don't sweat it. still I can't believe someone would say that, pretty low if the high point of that dudes day was passing someone on the skinner to get first tracks down one of the most skied chutes in the wasatch. I would have given him a what for if I had been there. some people have no social grace.

ps- sweet shot of the cliff drop.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:34 pm 

^bummer

Days and Toledo were nice yesterday, enough sun to get a good day in.

two dogs-ish

yours truly

fresh on a few gully runs

crossed a few off the bucket list

took the scenic tour home

very aesthetic ridge traverse

knocked off a goal for the year

still some left for the week!

and yeah, not a whole lot to add on stability. More stable than yesterday it seemed. Whatever ran was new snow only and tended to stay narrow. Did not see a lot of propagation in areas that had moved.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:52 pm 

Nice pictures all. Yesterday was awesome. Gotta love the diamond dust falling with filtered sunlight. Saw a lot of sluffs and small slabs, but they were all at least 36 hours old. Thanks to Ian for the company and pictures.

Ian has been splitting in Scarpa Alien 2.0's. My F1's are about dead, and the Aliens seem like a good replacement as long as I can get the gaiter for them. The boot companies don't like to mention that some of these superlight AT boots are as waterproof as a running shoe.

Our skinner:

The last lap:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:16 pm 

@snowvols.. that dudes wife probably cheats on him with his friends so he has to get his victories where he can.

Anyway, I took a quick lap to the Butler trees tonight. Snow went from dry settled powder, to wet powder to a thin breakable crust. All of it fun. I rode pretty much true north. Every other aspect was cooked during the day and setting up by the time I got there. However I was able to avoid the bobsled track on my exit by traversing through the pine trees, which seemed to preserve the snow pretty well all the way to the trailhead. I would say that by tomorrow, the mid elevations arent going to be worth the effort anymore unless its protected really well from the sun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm 

Went out for the views today. The turns weren't bad either.

1st up.

Ridge selfie

2nd, lookers left tracks.

Ender

Great day

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next