Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2012-13 Conditions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:33 pm 

Went out west Friday night, on highway 50. There were suicidal rabbits everywhere, and two of them were successful in their bid to end it all. Woke up on Saturday morning and saw that our lines had miraculously been removed of their snow, despite optimistic SNOTEL reports. Without even leaving the car, we decided to drive north. Scoping lines from the car on the drive, we found one that looked good. We were still cautious though, since "good from far but far from good" had been a very suitable mantra for this trip to this point. Sketchy cell phone service made finding directions to the base of the peak difficult, but we managed. Below is a photo collage coutesy of partner Joel.

The line was beautiful. We rode nearly off the summit, with a sweet 45-50 degree couloir that funneled into a face and then through a constriction into a big avy-runout bowl for about 3000' vert altogether. While some of the line was great settled pow, other sections were suncrusted, refrozen windpack. The skiers liked it since it was impenetrable crust, not breakable crust. We then headed to Elko for food and sleep.

The original plans didn't necessarily include going up Lamoille Canyon, but after bailing on the initial objective Saturday morning we were in the area and figured we would check it out. The collage below, also courtesy of Joel, shows the line we rode. I think it was a first descent. I scoured the internet and couldn't find any evidence that any people had ever skied it before us ;-). The wind had buffed most of the chute into a soft, smooth surface, covering up any old lumps.

I think the Nevada list got longer, not shorter, on this trip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:21 pm 

love all the nevada stoke. some of the best riding of my life was had in nevada a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:02 pm 

My Nevada list definitely got longer...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:04 am 

Wow, great stuff dudes :headbang: Clearly great minds do think a like :D

Did anyone happen to pass by, and/or form an opinion of the Pilot Peak conditions?

I didn't quite make it to the Silver State, but I did spend a couple rewarding days out west
http://www.flickr.com/photos/topodojo/sets/72157632807008578/show/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:40 am 

Pilot Peak looked thin to me. We got a good look at the west side on our way back from Elko. I have to imagine that riding that sweet couloir line can be done in better snow than they had this past weekend, both in quality and quantity.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:38 pm 

got out yesterday later in the evening...found some sheltered good stuff along hanging meadow on Kessler

some stoke...

It was still nuking at 6PM...Winds were strong, would imagine some slabs forming out there. Skier I was with said he was bottom feeding a bit, On the snowboard not so much.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:21 pm 

Some really good stoke on here. Last weekend was the perfect weekend to get out and explore, everything around here was tracked and if it wasn't it was probably for a reason. This pic is reconassaince mission style from last weekend..............and if you don't know, now ya know........... from way up south.
Snowvols I think that chute is the most aesthetic line up there. Great job
From today, can't complain when your breaking trail in the Wasatch.
I thought Sundays' were no fly days but we got buzzed till about midday.
I was worried about wind slab today, found it but it wasn't moving. Could feel the crust on all aspects but not bad. Take care

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 pm 

Rant warning..... :soapbox:
What a shit show in bcc. Seriously I saw some of the
worst lines ever put upon snow. For those folks
responsible, learn how to ride your fucking board/skis!
The bc is no place for you idiots, go have a lesson and an avy class.

Oh yeah, anything in the sun was toast by 10am :cry:

I need a :guinness:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:58 pm 

I meant to post these pics up for partner today.
The slide Brett triggered later that day

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:42 am 

Took some chances on a new area out west yesterday. Our first attempt at accessing our line was met by a (friendly) landowner who informed us that we were trespassing. Surprisingly he didn't even blink when we said the reason for crossing his land was to go skiing. There were cows everywhere. We should have told him we were cattle rustlers and we had 3 calves in the rocket box already.
He recommended another road and it got us close enough. After a lengthy-but-not-too-bad approach, we were into our line. The snow was just about perfect. They only got about 6 inches with the storm Saturday, but the underlying surface was the soft pow from storms earlier in the week. Surprisingly stable too, although we didn't push our luck, sticking to the trees. They had the best snow anyway. Lots of spindrift blowing on the ridges. Some pics, courtesy of Jason:

Ascending

View from the top of the line

Descending

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:34 am 

^^^nice pics matt, I like the burn area...snow looks great!! we need to get some sleds

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:36 am 

Nice work everyone from this weekend! I attempted to do mellow tree laps up BCC but since the roads were so bad we turned around and went somewhere else. We found ourselves in City Creek and stomped around. It wasn't that fun. Kicked off this little slide too. Sorry for the crappy photo cell phone pics FTW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:14 am 

Nice work guys! Thanks for sharing some positive stoke and sorry for my rant... I was posting via phone which limited me to a few lines and expletives. Apologies :bow:
The community here is full of talented, well behaved riders and its sad that a few inexperienced and irresponsible folks can really ruin ones day in the mountains.

As for why I got so pissed off...
One party I saw were so lacking in riding ability they would have had their passes pulled at any resort. This same group tried to ride a proud line that anyone coming down from the top of BCC can see, and totally wrecked it.
They couldn't even make a single turn, side slipped the face and just pushed snow!
Another party riding down from the cliff band were I filmed the tree video earlier this season, totally left a mess of the open line, no skill, total eyesore.
Not to mention, it being sunny south facing, fresh snow, below hangfire!

Lastly, as I was topping out on my second run up the line I'd broke trail all morning to ride, another party dropped in on me and just shit the entire thing up.
No finesse, no courtesy, no acknowledgement of dropping in on top of another person on slope, or any attempt to spoon the existing line.

Anyways, sorry for going off about it here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next