Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ski Link and Public Lands Debate
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:14 pm 

Hey guys,
I thought this might interest some of you. The first half of this debate is Canyons vs Save Our Canyons discussing the SkiLink proposal. The second half is my David Garbett of Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance debating Representative Ken Ivory who was the sponsor of the bill to force the federal government to hand over all federally administered lands in Utah. It's a good listen if you've got some time.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/krcl/news.newsmain/article/1/0/1916872/RadioActive/RadioActive!.March.28.Debate.the.Planet

"There can be nothing in the world more beautiful than the Yosemite, the groves of the giant sequoias and redwoods, the Canyon of the Colorado, the Canyon of the Yellowstone, the Three Tetons; and our people should see to it that they are preserved for their children and their children's children forever, with their majestic beauty all unmarred."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject: Re: Ski Link and Public Lands Debate
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:45 pm 

PSA

Do you want to see for yourself where SkiLink will go? Do you want to understand how SkiLink will change the Wasatch forever by degrading the watershed and developing the backcountry?

Join us Saturday, August 25, 2012, for a hike and some conversation. Approximate distance of the hike will be 4 miles with about a 600' elevation gain.

We will be meeting in the Brighton Ski Resort parking lot on the Brighton Loop at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon starting at 8:00 a.m.. There will be a free shuttle to the trailhead from Brighton Loop between 8:00 - 8:30 a.m. Find it on Google Maps here. The shuttle will return everyone to Brighton Loop. Don't forget to bring water and a lunch, walking shoes and sunscreen.

Please also sign our petition to stop SkiLink.

You'll need to RSVP if you plan on attending
http://action.sierraclub.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=247623.0&dlv_id=214162

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:32 am 

How did this go Doug? I wasn't able to attend but I heard a short blurb about it on NPR.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27 pm 

Being that I'm familiar with the location I figured I'd limit impact by not attending. I did however do a trail run in West Deso and was repeatedly buzzed by a helicopter along the ridge. Presumably someone out to intimidate, as I saw nothing identifying it as local media.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:47 pm 

My apologies for more spam to the active topic viewers not living near, or caring what goes on in the Wasatch...

That said, for those of you who do live here, and/or care; 3000 comments is weak considering the one million folks living right next to this awesome little range. Please go sign and give comments if you haven't already and encourage others to do the same.

Thank you!!! :bananas: :thatrocks: :headbang: :rock: :clap: :guinness: :doobie: :D

http://www.change.org/petitions/help-stop-skilink-oppose-h-r-3452-and-s-1883

If you can, please take the time to write an experiential reason for your opposition, or debunk the wacky transportation claims. Here is my own contribution.

Doug Mackay Salt Lake City, UT

Contrary to how it may appear to those who have spent little, or no time in the Wasatch back country, this area is quite small. To put it in perspective; trail runners and ski tourers routinely cover as many as four canyons in a single day. (Ex: American Fork to Millcreek). For this reason alone I oppose further development of this small area and the few areas where one can still experience some sense of wildness.

Further, the transportation reasons given by Ski-Link proponents are invalid. Again, I point to my own experiences in both Big Cottonwood Canyon and the Canyons resort. There is no validity to their traffic and pollution claims and anyone who has spent time in these areas, on the roads and the lifts will recognize the proponents claims as works of fiction.

Lastly, its appalling that a politician like Rob Bishop who consistently rails against Washington telling states how to operate their local affairs would be so hypocritical to introduce this legislation without any input from Utah locals, much less those who actually know the area in question. I'm guessing Mr Bishop has never been much beyond a trail head, if that. (EDIT Not to mention it isn't Bishop district!!!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:45 am 

Thanks for the reminder Snurfer. I signed it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:46 am 

As did I. And some of my friends.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:57 am 

You have some Colorado splitters showing some love as well.

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:48 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:24 pm 

signed it a bit ago. So lame, the thought of a single company (Talisker) controlling Canyons, PCMR (see land), SkiLink land in BCC and whatever interest in Solitude is pretty scary.

I couldn't care less what friends or others think, I'll be supporting SOC for some time. The central wasatch is a special place.