Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Trip to Utah need advice...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 am 

Our crew is taking a trip to Utah second week of February 2012. We are flying into SLC and staying Monday - Friday. I need some advice in where to go, where to stay and what to ride. Should we stay in SLC and hit Snowbird, stay and ski around Park City? Solitude, Deer Valley, Brighton? Huts or Cabins? I really don't know too much about whats good in the UT, and I hope you can help me out or point me in the right direction.

Please let me know your thoughts on a trip itinerary. We could hit up resorts, BC or some of both. We will probably have a rental car, so a tour may be in order. Cheap/good places to stay? Secret spots (if you were nice enough to share). We have no plans as yet but the plane tickets are bought! I would like to keep it cheap(er) if possible. We have a group of 5-7, but may split up (no pun).

I've never been to Utah and am totally stoked to come visit you fine folks, and partake in the "best snow on earth" (to be determined...)

Cheers!

Pedro

Post subject: Re: 2012 Trip to Utah need advice...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:55 am 

It really depends on expectations and preference of terrain, but several of us with different riding tastes could offer suggestions and perhaps even show you around.

I ride mostly mellow stuff, because it isn't popular and I generally hang around the MillCreek/Park City/Big Cottonwood divide. If I'm in town and you're up for some mellow stash lapping I'd be glad to ride with you or make specific suggestions. Resort-wise this puts you in close proximity to The Canyons and Park City on one side of the divide and Solitude on the other. There are a couple big lines here, but not the epic, jagged rocky variety of the southerly Cottonwoods.

Big terrain exists between Big and Little Cottonwood canyons and its popularity is obvious on a good day. The shortest access being from Little Cottonwood (near Alta). An Alta to Brighton and back tour is pretty easy and has quite a variety of terrain, including the option of beer, food and lifts. Of course there is some great terrain further south between Little Cottonwood and American Fork canyons, some of which can be accessed from Snowbird.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:42 pm 

I went up to UT last December for the first time in 13 years and I wanna go back as soon as I can! Pedro, unless you're hellbent on riding lifts, the only area I would hit is the 'Bird. But then if it snows at least 6" every dick swinging pow riding dirtbag in the Salt Lake valley is on it. My perception is that on pow days lines are long and freshies don't last long. Brighton can be fun, but it's short vertical, and it's jib kid tall tee's city. Personally, I wouldn't mess with any other resort, and I've done them.

Seriously, I would feel pretty comfortable self guiding now that I know a couple things. When you drive up either of the canyon roads you can't help but see skin tracks going everywhere. Pick a skin track and find some terrain you feel comfortable in. And in February, the lower elevation trailheads should be good to go. Get the book "Backcountry Skiing Utah" by Tyson Bradley, and a couple topo maps. In my mind the most straight forward tour would be up Grizzly Gulch towards Twin Lakes Pass, at the end of Little Cottonwood. You can't get lost, and there's a ton of terrain. There's enough up there to have fun for at least two days. You'll drool over the terrain on the south facing ridge between Superior and Twin Lakes, but the terrain is quite a bit more consequential.

In Big Cottonwood there's also tons of terrain and trailheads. It seems to me most of this area is a bit more complex, especially up the forks (basically south) that head to the Superior ridge. But again, there are skin tracks everywhere you see cars parked along the road.

Try looking at the maps they have on Utah Avalanche Centers website. Good resource.
Don't let the idea of unknown terrain keep you from touring. It can be done.

And of course, snow assessment is entirely up to you, make your own decisions.

You'll love it there, trust me. (Utah locals, I hope I didn't give away any secrets. :oops: )

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:44 pm 

Hey Pedro-- Nothing off the top of my head at the moment, but get in touch as it gets closer to you guys coming out. A day at a resort (Snowbird!) would be good, just to say you did. And the touring is great. I'd be happy to share more thoughts as the day gets closer, and we know more about snow/avalanche conditions. Peace!

robbins.sec@gmail.com

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:43 pm 

Yeah Pedro,

I think you and your bros will have tons of fun here. You can do it on the cheap and everythings so accessible you can have a good day in the mountains and find good affordable food and drink at the bottom of the canyon right after. Febuary's the perfect time cause you can ride sun up to sun down and the snowpack should be relatively fat by then. Conditions can vary but our S-E faces stay relatively stable year round.

I would do us all a favor as skip the bird. There the local evil and while the mountain is sick there slow to get stuff open and theres zero backcountry access, plus who can afford 75$ lift and 85$ dollar tram tickets. You could easily kill a day on the resort at Brighton hitting the park/pipe and other fun lappy type runs. Then you could easily kill two days buying one lift passes and hiking the Brighton side country. There's tons of fun terrain from steep chutes if it's stable to unlimited cliff lines and kicker features if it's not. Plus they have great food and a cool little pub on the mountain as well. Then I would spend the other two days up Little Cottonwood.

It kind of all depends on conditions as well so like KR said I would hit us all up again when it gets closer for some more up to date beta.

Heres a couple pics of just a small fraction of the Brighton sidecountry

Make the point to tell whoever you give your money to that your from out of state and are here to enjoy the backcountry/sidecountry just as much as you are here to enjoy the lift served stuff. Our backcountry is under assault from resort expansion and it goes a long way to advocate protecting these areas. I wish I could show you around but I've got this thing called a job that takes up my Mon-Fri time slots. Take care.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:21 pm 

I was going to add....concerning places to stay, I'm not sure where the best lodging is there's some hotels right at the mouth of Big but I would guess there pricey cause most places are these days. I've got plenty floor space, a few sleeping bags and blankets assuming none of your crew has an addiction to crack and is going to take off with my sons wii my wife would probably put up with one night. There's also a sweet old school hotel @ brighton that I've heard is super cheap, in the summer at least but I would get online and check that out ASAP to see about booking your dates right away. Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:44 pm 

Utah: Why did you have to post the picture of seagull? That has been on my mind the last month. I don't know why I want to hit it so bad but it looks super fun. Now you have made me jones for it even worse haha.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:13 pm 

i went there splittin for a day last year at wolverine cirque. it was good terrain/ and easy access. a few of utah's pics look like the cirque.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:57 am 

Thanks for the input guys! I knew I was asking the right folks. We will be out Feb 6-10th. I have been looking at VRBO and thinking about renting a house for the trip. I personally am leaning toward more BC than resort riding (and my split-partner is coming), but some of the boys may not be so adventurous. I will keep any stashes strictly "Hush-Hush", and you can PM me if you don't want to post you spots online.

Couple of additional questions:

1. Do you have a Search & Rescue card? We have the COSAR (Colorado Outdoor Search and Rescue Card). It's $6 and will cover you for S&R if needed. I make all my touring partners buy one before we go out.

2. What the situation for Beer/Boozing? I have been hearing a lot of differing info on this. I am not a booze hound (my crew seemed worried) but do enjoy libations after a day on the hills.

3 Where would be a good spot to get a house? I saw some near Granite, Racquet Club and the mouth of the Canyons (plus some up near the resorts). Everything seem so close (compared to CO) so I don't think driving a little would be bad, we are planning on renting a SUV.

SB.com Rules! Keep the info coming...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:25 am 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Couple of additional questions:

1. Do you have a Search & Rescue card? We have the COSAR (Colorado Outdoor Search and Rescue Card). It's $6 and will cover you for S&R if needed. I make all my touring partners buy one before we go out.

I don't think so... Wasatch Back Country Rescue and Salt Lake County SAR handle this stuff. I'm not sure how it's all covered. I got lifted out of BCC on a helicopter many years ago, and I don't know if there was a charge for the SAR response. There certainly was for the helicopter. Maybe someone else has better info...

PedroDelfuego wrote:
2. What the situation for Beer/Boozing? I have been hearing a lot of differing info on this. I am not a booze hound (my crew seemed worried) but do enjoy libations after a day on the hills.

You'll be fine... you can get cold beer in the grocery store (it's 4% by volume, same as in CO grocery stores), or you can by wine, liquor, and high ABV beer in the liquor stores. There's a liquor store right down Fort Union Blvd., which is super accessible from the mouth of BCC. Closed on Sunday. No more 'private club' stuff, so you can also get drinks at different bars, restuarants, pubs, etc. The whole stereotype about 'no alcohol in Utah' is overrated, overplayed, and not an issue. Anyone who's lived here long enough will agree to that.

PedroDelfuego wrote:

3 Where would be a good spot to get a house? I saw some near Granite, Racquet Club and the mouth of the Canyons (plus some up near the resorts). Everything seem so close (compared to CO) so I don't think driving a little would be bad, we are planning on renting a SUV.

The mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon would be perfect. You'll be fine anywhere near there with an SUV. That would be great access for going up Big or Little, and then you would be back down in the valley for eats and drinks at the end of the day. It would also set you up well for doing a bi-canyonal tour, starting in Little, and ending in Big.

That's my opinion.

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:02 am 

buy maps and donuts, not lift tickets :thatrocks:

plenty of room left for adventures in the wasatch, just read the maps then leave 'em at home, you really cant get lost here

http://www.amazon.com/Wasatch-Tours-Nor ... 1884744036

http://www.amazon.com/Wasatch-Tours-Sou ... 1884744044

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:05 am 

Scooby2 wrote:
buy maps and donuts, not lift tickets :thatrocks:
How did you know I love donuts? I have been leaning this way more and more. I am building up a split for one of the guys with us... I think my partner and I are going to just BC and split-up (pun!) from the other homies unless I can score a cheap or free lift ticket. Thanks for the links! :thumpsup: Keep the suggestions coming.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:14 pm 

Coming out next week Monday the 6th! Anybody want to get out next week with a couple out outta towners? I'm up for Tues/Weds/Thurs as long as the Avy danger is not off the charts. We got a pretty bitchin house in Cottonwood heights, and a 4x4 rental truck. Any route suggestions, food or night life suggestion are welcome.

Gracias y salud! :thumpsup: