Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2011/2012 Utah snow and avalanche conditions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:16 am 

very curious indeed!
thanks dude. we should go night shred one of the resorts soon. you could ride your swally. or did you get your arbor back?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:36 am 

10-4 on the night shred... Still waiting on the Arbor, hopefully today or tomorrow...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:58 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
I would be down to do some beacon drills for sure. keep me in the loop for that.

Bucky- I love it. Maybe this is karma for me shitting in that creek in Nevada. But if so why must we all suffer?

I'm thinking about sacrificing a virgin girl on top of Mt. Olympus but i'm having a hard time finding one of those :scratch:

That's how god rolls. The sons of the sons of the sons and all that.

I'm down for beacon drills if you want to head out, even I'll be able to see the damn thing through 2" of surface hoar (i'll pretend i didn;t see). Hell, I coudl be talked to make a snowman I'm so deprived of snowsports. i even took my no-board out on sunday...surpisingly not totally fuqqin lame.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm 

12/15
Cardiff Bowl.
sucked. a few inches of faceted snow on top of crust with rotten snow all the way to the ground. planned on going to cardiac area which looked a lot better, but my new boots and my feet aren't getting a long so I aborted the plan. really pretty up there though. much better than the shit-hole of a city that we live in.Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:32 am 

Anyone want to get out tomorrow? I have been stuck to night riding at Brighton or not going at all this week so I want to check out the new snow. Let me know I am up for touring anywhere, but I just want a few turns.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:49 pm 

Switched back to my old boots and was able to find some better snow today. Really fun day, lots of people out. Soft snow on shady aspects.

Heres another iphone photo showing our amazing low tide snow and smog situation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:53 pm 

^^^ Always have your avalung ready when getting ready to drop in... to the SL valley... :D

Would love to get out tomorrow, but no board, no skin glue, no snow... Guess I'll keep trail running seeing how I ran most of the way to the cabin run (Gobblers) yesterday... WTF Ulr? :scratch:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:27 pm 

I went out today planning on hitting Wolverine bowl. I took a different way instead of going up and to the peak of Milly. I should have gone that way since the way I went took me up Stupid Chute. I skinned into it and went above the skin track to test stability since i was solo was kind of nervous skinning up that chute. When I jumped on the skin track I put in place, all of the snow broke away. I then opted to say screw that and turned around. I never realized skinning downhill in a boulder field is so miserable. Smart decision I believe, and I scored some great turns off of Great Western at Brighton.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:32 pm 

Saturday Dec 17... Normally I don't get bored running in MillCreek until spring, but things being what they are I needed a change of scenery so I did a trail run up to Lake Desolation...

A shitty video to show the conditions...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:01 am 

I'm heading out of town for a week and a half for Christmas, and since that time will involve nothing but sitting around, I tried to make the most of my last weekend to snowboard in 2011. Saturday involved a little walking and little shwacking to get up into the upper cirque in Broads Fork. We skied a few different aspects with variable but overall very fun snow. The skiers took some diggers when they weren't expecting the wind crust buried 4 inches deep though. In the highest reaches of the bowl we found patchy, sensitive 6 inch slabs that would fail on isolation if you tried to do a CT, so we stayed off of anything too committing. This seemed similar in structure to the recent UAC reported avalanche in Days Fork. We also saw this:

The debris ran over 1000 vert. The avy looked pretty old by the snow covering the debris. There were some big chunks mixed in too, as you can see in the second pic. 1-1.5 meters of snow is in the upper bowl.

Sunday was wandering around Mill D North. Lots of facets. Not much snow, but enough to make the turns worthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:28 am 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:24 pm 

Sweet vid mar123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:42 pm 

http://vimeo.com/33841326

other things to do while waiting for snow!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 27  Next