Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2011/2012 Utah snow and avalanche conditions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:49 pm 

Is anyone up for a tour tomorrow (monday)? I got lasik a week or so back and am itching to finally get back out in the mountains with my fresh eyes. I have the day off so anytime will work for me.

Frozone, I am up for some dawn patrols. My work schedule is kind of all over the place but for the next week or two, I don't work until 1ish so I am free in the morning. Message me if you want make some early turns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:10 pm 

The wind moved a lot of snow around and freshened things up a bit... Had a lot of settlement as I skinned, but angles were low enough as to not be a threat... The variety of crusts and facet layers is mind boggling in some places, such that posting a foto or a pit observation won't tell us anything we shouldn't already know...

Some art from the day...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:34 pm 

We spent the last 3 nights on North Slope of Uintas 9500'. Real windy on Saturday. A few inches fell Saturday and last night with decreasing winds. Calm, clear and cold today.

The snow depth at 9500' was about 3.5 feet. Basically a couple feet of settled snow on top of a foot of unsupportable depth hoar. Walking in snow frequently resulted in the trapdoor effect, wallowing up to your taint in the snow. Most of the columns I dug failed upon isolation at the depth hoar. There were 3 other weak layers in the settled snow, that showed Q2/Q3 shears. We experienced widespread woomphing and visible settlement of the snowpack, on all aspects, with shooting cracks, on Friday and Saturday; then it got more loaded with snow and had wind transport. We identified no recent natural avys.

We considered the overall avy hazard as High. We bailed from establishing the typical skinner (~32 degree treed sheltered slope) cuz the snowpack under our feet was just not feeling right. Stuck to slopes under 30 degrees, which were OK in wind and sun sheltered spots, but crappy, crusted, punchy, where exposed to sun and wind. Some additional notes on the conditions we experienced follow:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:17 pm 

Poked my pole around on all aspects and got everything from a few inches of penetration to pockets that I could have lost my pole in. I personally hate that hollow feel more than anything. Stubborn for the most part but wasn't going to test it. BEAUTIFUL freaking day, so glad others were out enjoying it.
These are some pics from Friday evening I meant to post up. I'm not sure if all the slides were explosives or if it was a mix. I should have took some time to get pics of them all but time was limited. It was quite a site to see.
Take care.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:58 pm 

whooo! powder riding today. maybe the best day i've had this year.

edit: started around 11am, Solo powder tour linking Mill D north: Reynolds, Tom's, PP3, Beartrap, Shortswing. Winds were strong and visibility sucked on Reynolds and Tom's. It got better as the day went on. Snowed hard around 1-2pm then it let off a little. My hip pocket on my pack ripped and my car key fell out. I was sitting in the spruces parking lot trying to figure out how I was going to work it out and someone walked up to me and asked if I lost a key. Guess they found it in the middle of the road. Was it my lucky day or what! No camera today, so I grabbed the helmet cam that's always floating around in my pack. I'm pretty sick of POV and I haven't used it much this year but mar123's vid from today inspired me to throw an edit together. Sorry the footage is so shaky, I just had a beanie on and my goggle straps shake a lot more vs when I have a helmet on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:22 pm 

yes^^ turns were stellar!! put a couple top to bottom laps in this area today...sun started to show around 5 and colors were going off...beautiful!! Course forgot the camera again today...doh! Did manage to bring the go pro, batteries died after the first lap...enjoy some POV :roll:

yeah Techno...

some very small sluff/ soft slabs noticed mainly on the backsides of very steep rollovers like boulders and such...other than that it was snowing most of the day and finally tapering off around 5ish when the clouds broke, winds were well behaved... no other instabilities noticed...Id say 6-8 inches in the trees and 10-12 in the open :bananas:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 am 

Nice visuals fellas...
I got out this morning in advance of the storm for a one and done before work...
There were constant light snow showers and poor visibility with 6-10" of new snow between 8000'-9500'...
The winds were light in the shelter of the canyon, despite being pretty brutal in the SL valley...
There were continuous settlements on the approach, but the steepest angle I roamed near or onto was sub 30 degrees...
The road cuts showed signs of brutal winds overnight and there were numerous small naturals that appeared to have ran beyond the shoulder onto the road (thx plow dudes!)...
Turns were sweet but I forgot how hard it is breaking trail in pow on a little board, BUT I can think of worse ways to start a morning... :D

Things are shaping up nicely for this weekend and I'm looking forward to finally breaking out the 195 :headbang:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:58 pm 

Nice pictures and reports from everyone... thanks for keeping the heads up out there.

Been having some trouble accessing sb.com, but now it's working for me...

Good day today in upper LCC... consistent southerly winds were transporting lots of new light density snow, making things VERY sensitive out there. All pretty manageable, as long as the easily-triggered soft slabs don't step down into buried weak layers. Poor snowpack structure is driving this avalanche train right now...

Photo from today: It was WINTER in the mountains!

Another pic from today: Intentionally triggered soft slab from a slope cut.

Keep it real out there everyone!

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:53 am 

Sick photos and videos everyone :headbang:

You guys can all thank me for the snow. I left town last week and it snowed. I am headed out of town today right when the storm is getting good. I hope at least one of you guys get some pow slashes for me.

I was looking at the twin cols on Desert Peak yesterday while at work. They are looking kind of good. I can get someone to tow into where the snow line is if anyone would be interested in checking the area out once I get back in town. Dan or Bucky?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:00 pm 

it was stupid deep today...almost too deep for mellow terrain

couple more...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 pm 

mar123 wrote:
it was stupid deep today...almost too deep for mellow terrain

It was really deep, I should have given you call I didn't know you were heading out.
another mid day start today. I ended up doing some shit in the grizzly/black bess area. I headed up LCC to ride binx or flagstaff but it was super cold,snowy, and windy right over Alta today. I turned around and started to head down canyon to go hit something in BCC but the sheriff wasn't letting anyone down. So I turned around again and ended up going to grizzly. The turns were good off Emma ridge if not slighty wind hammered but the lighting was cool in between clouds. Exit sucked ass and was a trench fest back to the car.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:19 pm 

Winds out of the NW were going off this morning in BCC, exposed west facing ridges were being scoured while lee aspects developed dense chalky wind slabs... Kept to modest slopes where ski cuts failed to break anything loose. This despite lots of whoomphing during the ascent... Powder was amazing in sheltered areas, ranging from 10-15"... Turns were stellar on "Big Bird" (195 swallowtail) but touring the beast isn't much fun. Particularly when a climbing wire bends... :nononno:
Wind damage
Sentry
Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-doo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:40 am 

Nice to see you all enjoying our snow! Snowvols, I like Deseret Peak, but I gotta pass with the lingering instabilities we have this year, let's get out somewhere though. Here's a couple shots from an outing earlier this season:

dub-surf
mej

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 27  Next