Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please help my girlfriend find a job in SLC!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:24 pm 

Hey folks...My girlfriend graduated from Montana State with her Structural Engineering master's in May and has slowly started pursuing a job. We live in Bozeman, which we totally love, and I'm in the early phase of the nursing program here at MSU. Unfortunately, the market's not chomping at the bit to hire her in town, so we're looking into relocation options that would suit both our needs (bigger job market, university with a good nursing program, close to rock and skiing).
Salt Lake City is our first choice for obvious reasons. In fact, I really dread the thought of relocating anywhere else as SLC just seems to fit so perfectly. So if any Utah folks with a connection to the civil engineering world would provide any help, suggestions, insider info, and, of course, job opportunities, I'd be much obliged!

Post subject: Re: Please help my girlfriend find a job in SLC!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:35 pm 

I don't have a lot of connections in the engineering world, but I know that it seems a large percentage of backcountry skiers down here are involved to some degree in the engineering world. If you are really desperate for some info I would post on teletips or tetongravity.com as they have a much broader base of viewers from the SLC area. Also jobs in SLC can be hit miss in my experience(again I can't speak for engineering) it seems like everyone is hiring or no one is.
Living right next to big or little cottonwood canyon is super attractive, but some of the other towns along the wasatch front(ogden all the way down to provo) might have more job openings as companies, business, and the general population are expanding in all those areas. plus those areas are all within a 45min drive of big and little cottonwood, as a added bonus if you end up in one of the towns outside of salt lake, there are some killer less crowded riding and climbing spots north and south of SLC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:14 pm 

There is loads of engineering jobs. She should find where she wants to work, and start hitting them up. Contact recruiters, headhunters.
My wife found an engineering job easy. She had many jobs to choose from, including Black Diamond. She has had a few years in industry, so it was a bit easier, but the future is wide open for a recent grad. Did she intern during school? Might help to have some industry contacts.
L3, Boeing, Watson Pharmaceutical, these are only a few of dozens upon dozens of possibilities.
Best thin to do is decide who to work for, and hound them. Worked for me, worked for my wife, and it will continue to work for just about anyone, if they are dogged enough and willing to compromise. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:39 pm 

Wow- crazy to see this thread bumped to the top again! She wound up taking a job in Billings with a firm that has an SLC office, hoping to move there when I finish nursing school here. Thanks for the response!