Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013-2014 snow conditions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:29 am 

summersgone wrote:

Python, 12/27, Snow was little firm at the complete top, but then little crust below, but pretty good overall. The dogs were the fastest that day. Wylie caught his owner skatebananas in about 5 seconds after this. :shock:

Took me a few times of reading this to realize the dog's name was not Skatebananas.

One of the best resort days I've ever had yesterday, cb:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:48 am 

Saw some of the biggest avalanches I've seen all season up in James Peak Wilderness when I toured up there on Tuesday (1/7). Guessing they all ran over the previous weekend. All slides were on East to Northeast aspects, near/above treeline. Snow was kind of crap (heavily wind effected) for splitboarding, but a pleasant day and nice tour. Pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/rky_mtn_sr ... 620747114/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:04 am 

Super tender in Routt county. Member of our party triggered a slab on yesterdays tour, Q1/2 shears seemingly after every storm cycle we have had. Worst I have seen in a number of years. Keep it mellow!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:19 am 

Yeah, good time to keep to mellow terrain. Love the new snow, but this avy danger is getting old. Welcome to CO.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:16 am 

I can only imagine what this new load is going to do... I can ponder it from the chailift :headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:54 pm 

Toured Bierstadt yesterday. Got exactly 0 turns. Coverage is thin, wind crust/sun effected with tons of depth hoar. Hoped to find some snow in the middle of the mountain, had a little snow on it, but definietly nothing rideable. The road was a nightmare, had to dig the truck out 3 times before we finally made it to duck lake. Coverage at Geneva Basin looked good pretty good though. The trees seem to be holding the snow well. Still had a great climb on a bluebird day....and who can really complain about that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:15 am 

We had wind of 70-90mph (Front Range) this weekend. Any snow that fell was rapidly redistributed in tree cross loaded gullies below treeline. It may make for some touch (and sneaky) windslabs. Bierstadt is 14k and would have received wind more like 100+mph.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:30 am 

10 inches and 2.3 SWE added in the past 4-5 days, so pretty heavy snow, but good. Saturday forecast was completely wrong, was expecting 20-25 degrees/wind/clouds, but ended up with 40 degrees/sun/ no wind. That blew our plans to ride E facing all day. It ended up getting too hot by noon, meaning we had to switch plans making a funky day, but 2 runs for exercise was good. The surprising part was how many people were out on Saturday. At least 5 cars in every main trailhead. Certainly much more than normal.

Sunday was good though, rode really deep. Snowed all day, probably 3 new inches throughout the day on top of the 6+ overnight. Didn't cross a track for 2 runs. Good facet layer under the snow though is sketchy. Stayed in 30 degree terrain mostly. The dog was struggling with it, but had fun. Much less people out there, which shows me people here are certainly fair weather tourers.

Looks like 10+ days of dry conditions again. So make the most of whats there now I guess. Because the rest of January is probably going to be pretty dry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:00 am 

thanks joel! :lol:

Conditions have been pretty stellar around these parts until that last 60mph wind storm took hold. ruined everything close to the top of treeline and above. Did provide some fun loading into the trees where you could actually see what was in front of you. :shock:

I have been happy with the snow stability on most NW-NE terrain around or under the dreaded 38'. Tried some south facing and it was total shit, good freshies on top of sun crust on top of sugar. West facing seems to be getting better but still somewhat unconsolidated. East aspects seem to be getting better but I have been much more happy riding north facing terrain.

Coverage is getting good, finally able to look around and venture into some new areas.

yep, weather will be clearing out for the next week or so, so we will see what happens with the layering after some sun and more wind... I have seen a lot of action up high lately. Lets stay on our game and keep getting them days!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:35 pm 

Got out yesterday with Bones got Broke. First run was pretty good, still some protected pow, but traversing to run 2, got lots of faceting and collapsing, so we backed off. Was too butt puckered of the large persistent slab layer. It was also an area that doesn't get frequented as much.

Frustrating. :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:19 pm 

1656284_805529492796085_1299268095_n by travis young 424, on Flickr

Man we are getting pounded! 8" between midnight last night and noon today just in town. I have been riding so much POW this season. Typical Colorado Voodoo, Super sketch avy conditions. lower angle trees is where it’s at. pretty happy right now! And i love these Phantom's more every day!

Let it DUMP!!!

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:44 am 

YEAH TRAVIS!!! I was just about to ask who's out getting it!!! glad to see you rocking! hit me up I need to tour somewhere new.

Been hella busy with work moving to a bigger warehouse. (if anyone needs anything restaurant equipment related Im your guy :rock:)

but my winter schedule is about to start and I cant wait!!! nothing like mid week shred every wed. :thumbsup:

MORE PICS COLORADO!!!! we have the snow right now lets show it off! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:49 pm 

I'll have more pictures by early next week. Too deep!

Was out today. Lots of instability issues. Whoomphing, shooting cracks, you name it. But it was DEEP. 12"+ and been snowing all day.
So deep, couldn't get the car out. Easily over a foot here. Started with about 8 inches, this is 4 hours later...

Skier (opps), but its Bones get Broke. Hes 6' 5" or something nuts, so having it at his waist was over my shoulders. I had a lot of face shots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next