Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013-2014 snow conditions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:07 am 

cometogether wrote:
got any pics norv?

Finally got a fake gopro I'll be bringing. Didn't have a memory card for last Wednesday with it though. Ava danger was high so we just built a kicker.

I am hopefully getting the Jeep back today, so I should have some photos soon. Trying to go up before I do the rest of the work on it, but we will see. I do have some early season stuff, but most of it is on my buddys mac and he doesn't visit these forums.

This is the diamond from the 19th. Sadly, the only thing on my mac at the moment. You probably want to mute the sound because it's my deaf dog yipping in the background, and the filmer breathing heavy. Dog hasn't gone with me since, but that's a different story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1BExanhW0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:02 am 

Finally made it out to our local zone for a full moon tour and to see whats going on. As expected the surface hoar that formed prior to the last storm cycle is alive and well and a new layer (Of varying sizes) has formed. We are expecting another weak system starting today. Some butt puckering settling also made the nightime tour interesting. Never dug a proper pit so I can't speak of the deeper concerns, the upper 30-40cm's were plenty interesting. We chose our favorite NW facing trees for our slashing.

Jury Duty today :poke:

Play safe everyone. Looks like another sketchy Colorado snowpack, at least in my neighborhood.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:45 am 

Avy forecast has change in our favor recently.

I think this rating may be deceptive, because we have two really weak layers buried, one near the ground and one from the surface hoar a few weeks ago. Lets keep the info coming, I am interested in first hand observations of failure in the front range snowpack.

Stay alert and be safe out there...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:12 am 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Avy forecast has change in our favor recently.

I think this rating may be deceptive, because we have two really weak layers buried, one near the ground and one from the surface hoar a few weeks ago. Lets keep the info coming, I am interested in first hand observations of failure in the front range snowpack.

Stay alert and be safe out there...

Surface hoar is exceptionally localized. PWL's are not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:34 am 

Snow update for the san juans.

While it looked pretty bleak all week, we just got a winter storm warning out of nowhere. Durango has seen 2 inches in 2.5 hours. I assume Silverton is doing well. The Red snotel reads at least 5 new inches, and potentially 7".

FKNA! :rock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:56 pm 

summersgone wrote:
Snow update for the san juans.

While it looked pretty bleak all week, we just got a winter storm warning out of nowhere. Durango has seen 2 inches in 2.5 hours. I assume Silverton is doing well. The Red snotel reads at least 5 new inches, and potentially 7".

FKNA! :rock:

Headed there tonight for opening day tomorrow. Anyone else. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:27 pm 

Headed there tonight for opening day tomorrow. Anyone else. Looking forward to it.

I will be there! cant wait, looks like it will be good!. Might be in for a tour in that area Sunday too, i dont want to buy a ski pass both days. if anyone want's to hook up.

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:20 pm 

I'm doing the same as you Travis. But more and more sounding like I should tour tomorrow with all you front rangers... :nononno: :wink:

Hope you guys are making it to the party too on Saturday night. I'll be there. Travis, I'll probably tour sunday, but I might have a full group already. If not, I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:08 am 

summersgone wrote:
I'm doing the same as you Travis. But more and more sounding like I should tour tomorrow with all you front rangers... :nononno: :wink:

Hope you guys are making it to the party too on Saturday night. I'll be there. Travis, I'll probably tour sunday, but I might have a full group already. If not, I'll let you know.

Jason. Nice running into you last night! I had a good time. Thanks for sharing some info on where to possibly skin today. Hope to catch up with you for a shred someday.

Silverton opening day was amazing. Stacking vert all day long. Conditions were great! This place blows my mind every time I come here

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:08 am 

We got crushed yesterday, knee deep on top of three days of modest accumulations. :headbang :

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:32 am 

Good times at Silverton. Steep and deep. Damn I need to make it down there more often. Next time with the split.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:52 am 

8" new at the Red Mountain snotel over the past few days. Not crazy, but it was super blower snow. Rode the backcountry Saturday, and then partied too hard Saturday night at the Venture party for the me and the girlfriend to make it out Sunday :oops:. Oh well, Saturday was super good and the 1 day out was good enough for both days. Computers still broken, so no pictures. Sorry about that.

Conditions were extremely good on Saturday. Looked like a lot of people were out at Silverton Mountain, so saw nobody on the skin track all day. Felt more like the San Juans normally do :). Anything below 10,500' probably had only about 6" and a more pronounced crust layer. And everything above was bottomless, probably 9-12" of super light snow, and very good.

Did a pit test, and on my compression got no results. This was on a N aspect at around 11,400'. Had friend dig a pit on NE aspect, around the same elevation, and also said they had no results on both the CT and ECT. The new snow seemingly bonded well, and was light enough that it didn't put any pressure on the snowpack. Anything above treeline and steep though was going to sluff because it was a hard slab before. All really small and manageable if you wanted to do it. We stuck just below treeline that didn't have a major crust before and it was great. Best snow I've had this year so far. I'm loving it!

Good seeing you too Travis. Hope it all worked out and you had a good day out there Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:57 am 

They say that anything over a 20:1 snow to snow water equivalent is blower. On saturday morning, we had 7" new snow, and .3 SWE gained, making 23.3:1 = BLOWER! :rock:

Best part was they were only calling for an inch or two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next