Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Juneau Icefields
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:06 am 

Looks like I'm headed up in April for a 6 day fly-in/drop off trip :mrgreen: . Just curious if anyone else has been there and has knowledge or suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Juneau Icefields
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:29 am 

Hello,
I'm a Juneau local. If you go to Juneau in April I'm not sure why you'd go to the ice-fields. Generally speaking in April you can ride anything here. I think you'd be better off doing a series of day trips. When in April are you coming? Are you meeting up with locals or coming up with a group? Let me know your interests and parameters and I'll see if I can help you with anything. One thing that is a constant issue here is the snow line. Sometimes snow-line is down to sea level and sometimes 1500' and it can change overnight. Anyway I'll be happy to help you out anyway I can.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:30 am 

Thanks peacefrog - guess I hadn't checked this post for a long time. Plan is kind of a group thing - mostly snowkiting up on the icefields. Fly out, camp, ride. I'm hoping to hit some of those summits above the icefields especially if the wind doesn't show. Dates are 22nd-28th.

Most of the kiters I know prefer waiting for wind to blow but I have a hard time with that .... rather skin out to gravity turns and maybe the wind shows after a good line or 2.

I think its an open invite & if you want to join - I don't think you'd have to be into kiting. More people = less cost/person for flytime. Flying up in a plane. If anyone is interested I could get you contact info on Nick who's putting it together.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:12 am 

I worked on the Juneau Icefield for 3 summer seasons and know the area pretty well. What are you planning on doing? Just a curious fellow splitter! I traversed from Juneau to the Llewellyn Inlet on a my splitboard a few summers ago and got some shredding in while I was up there. have a blast man!

Flies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 pm 

Peacefrog, or any other locals, I am going to Haines in April and will hopefully have a couple of days at the end of the trip to do some splitting around Juneau (April 10-13ish). Fly out of Juneau Sunday April 14th.

Any suggestions on where to go? Ive been looking at popular? areas around Eagle Crest (Troy, Jumbo, west of the ski area...) Where else should I look? I dont know anything about access or typical road conditions so I'm trying to gather some beta. I would rent a car while we are there (myself and one other skier.) I like bigger vertical even if its a one and done kind of day. Distant? views of Mendenhall or Taku Towers would be awesome. I wont be bringing camping gear so it would be daytrips.

Any help would be appreciated including beers on me!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:12 am 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Peacefrog, or any other locals, I am going to Haines in April and will hopefully have a couple of days at the end of the trip to do some splitting around Juneau (April 10-13ish). Fly out of Juneau Sunday April 14th.

Any suggestions on where to go? Ive been looking at popular? areas around Eagle Crest (Troy, Jumbo, west of the ski area...) Where else should I look? I dont know anything about access or typical road conditions so I'm trying to gather some beta. I would rent a car while we are there (myself and one other skier.) I like bigger vertical even if its a one and done kind of day. Distant? views of Mendenhall or Taku Towers would be awesome. I wont be bringing camping gear so it would be daytrips.

Any help would be appreciated including beers on me!

Dude sorry I missed you! I just never check anything below "splitboard swap" (I'll try to be better about this). What did you end up doing? If you come up again PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:30 am 

No worries. We ended up staying in Haines the whole time except the last day. Watched some bluegrass in Juneau though on 4/13.

We did some touring around 3 Guardsmen and 4 Winds. The terrain is exceptional up there, though I was wishing I had a sled. We got in some great Heli runs too. Still havent finished going through my pics yet.

I'll definitely be back. Next time Id really like to drive up and spend more time dialing in a zone, and get some time with Fly Drake.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:36 am 

Just let me know. But PM me- during the season I don't watch the site much.