Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:16 am 

knucklesplitter wrote:
Were you the guy Eco and I saw on snowshoes last Friday around Hourglass/Proletariat?

No Snowshoes here. I was using crampons though. This morning tam looks sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:13 am 

Blew like hell yesterday. Snow was transported to west and southwest slopes. Slabs were forming. East and northeast slopes were scoured. Low down in the trees were areas that were waist deep from the last two storms with not much compaction.

Eco and I hit up Castle and found some protected stashes.

Chased Zeller's around for a bit. :D

Still a good day to be out. KS, we missed ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:58 am 

There are very few days where I get all my shit in the car, drive up the hill, get out of the car, and then within 5 minutes turn around and head back down. Yesterday was one of those days. All I saw above treeline were the dreaded reverse tracks - that's when the compacted ski tracks are raised above the surrounding snow because the wind had stripped all the uncompacted snow away. That and the wind was howling, the temps were single digits, there were obviously slabs to worry about, and I was alone. Did I mention all the core shots that are still being taken on the runout to the car? And of course the nearby resort was gaper-packed on top of having only half the terrain open. I decided it was not worth taking the day off for - I'll save it for when/if our season turns around. It may have turned out to be a decent day, but no way worth taking one of my limited vacation days when I can turn around and be back at work in a half hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:13 am 

Bummer dude. I hear ya on the vacation days. Us flatlanders figured we better still get some turns in.

We were initially going to Donner, but from the SB lot, it looked brutal and probably very dangerous.

Seems like a lot better coverage along the crest. Decent snow pack except for exposed ridges and upper south facing slopes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:30 am 

You should have come over to Castle with us, KS. Only a bit of wind induced suffering. Mostly sheltered skinning and riding. One full on pow pow decent and few wind loaded, slightly compacted tree runs. Coverage was great...nothing close to rock or tree shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:04 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
You should have come over to Castle with us, KS. Only a bit of wind induced suffering. Mostly sheltered skinning and riding. One full on pow pow decent and few wind loaded, slightly compacted tree runs. Coverage was great...nothing close to rock or tree shots.

That was my original plan, but I was about an hour late. Damned girlfriend and her morning "needs". :wink:

This sucks: I finally talked one of my kids into joining the awesome City o' Reno Sky Tavern Junior Snowboarding Program, and there is not enough snow for it to start as scheduled on Jan. 6. The Manzenita is in full bloom there.

http://www.stjsp.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:33 pm 

Mmmmm....needs. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:05 pm 

I have some friends staying near and possibly riding Mt.Tallac during the holidays. Wondering if they are even able to ride or is it a drinking vacation for them? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:31 am 

I don't know about tallac specifically but there's definetely riding in Tahoe right now. The kill lines aren't filled in yet but there's plenty of stashes to be had...and drinking too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:39 pm 

Anybody know what the conditions are like up on Powder/Waterhouse as of late???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:48 pm 

wassup wavy,
i haven't been up there since the most recent storm, but that was what two weeks ago? until today temps have stayed cold and north facing trees (like powderhouse) have kept the powder much better than normal for around here. the snowpack is still thin, but ridable. i'd guess powdahouse has been pretty tracked out in the time since the storm and the current warm temps are not going to help the powder...since it's turning into junuarary, maybe we'll get corn on south facing aspects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:54 pm 

Hey, whatup dave?
Thanks for the info. Just looking to get out and tool around there this weekend, sounds about what I was expecting...
Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:24 pm 

Went to Rose this morning - my first inbounds day of the season. "Hard pack" would be putting it mildly. Looks super thin on East Bowl and the Chutes which are not open yet. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next