This just in...I found some snow!

Post subject: Re: Socal conditions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:52 pm 

Cute.

I wonder what Avy 2 @ Baldy is gonna be like next weekend. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:52 am 

Quote:
I wonder what Avy 2 @ Baldy is gonna be like next weekend. 

It'll be like surfing in a swimming pool, or ordering steak at a vegen restaurant.

Give Jeff a hard time for being a lame skier and tell him Mike Melton says hi. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:06 pm 

I decided to carpe diem and try to get to (what I here is) the good snow above 8,000' today. My plan was to bike from Islip Saddle out to Dawson Saddle and tour up to the top 500' of Throop. After I scoped out Throop from the other side, I was too pooped to seal the deal; so I went to Kratka instead. Here's the beta. . .

What road closure?!: N face of Throop from Dawson

It looks pretty filled in above the PCT. I biked down to the mouth of the main chute, it's filled in nicely. Just get your timing right when it melts and before it slides.

From the top of Kratka I could see Throop, Hawkins, and Islip to the west
The northern aspects are ridable.

The northwest face of Baldy looks awesome!

Kratka is ridable from top to bottom, if you choose your line carefully. Just bring your rock board. The fire road is covered the entire way and gives you nice beta on what's filled in (but booting is faster!).
NNE aspects soften up around noon. NNW later in the afternoon.

From the top of the lift looking northeast

From the lift looking west

It will still be good tomorrow...possibly next week. GET SOME!!! (while you can)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:31 am 

I hope others are still getting some in the transverse ranges. I was just had the best day of my season at Baden Powell yesterday. Our local season is still going on.
After two miles of hiking (just past the Lamel Springs junction), the trail is basically totally covered for skinning; with ridable snow above 8300'. NE aspects of Lamel Spring drainage loosen up around 10:30 (East aspects are shot). N aspects (the trail switchback area) loosens up around noon; making a nice quick trip. NW aspects should loosen up later in the day (2:30) but I wasn't there at that time.
Stability tests are pretty boring because it's so solid :disco:.I found frozen windslabs next to radiation recrystallization up top (making skinning a bitch!) and a pit earlier in the week clearly showed the solidified, wetter deposition from the 2/26 storm preceding the last storm cycle (2/28-3/1). It's also really obvious where the snowpack is thin, (as opposed to really thin).

From the summit I boarded west on the ridge, and skinned up to the first peak then north, into my favorite drainage. I got about 800' vert of perfect corn. So good I went back up and did it twice. :rock: I boarded down to about 7400' when the snow got too thin to ride; but not to thin to bootski back to the road :headbang:.

Be sure to hit the particular slopes at the right time (not too stiff, not too mushy). Earlier this week, some dudes hit up this drainage too late in the day, started canoeing, and effed up the snow (particularly badly in the choke of the chute).
Have fun. Be safe. It looks like CalTrans is prepping to open the 2 from Vincent Gap to Islip soon.