Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tail clips
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:38 pm 

I am looking to make some tailclips for my skins. I have come across a few different ideas but would like feedback from people using these to get a better idea of what works.

These look great but I can't find them in the U.S. the closest thing would be something BCA makes but it would need to be bent to fit over the chinese hooks http://bit.ly/fK5gr1

My other thought is these G3's but I would be worried about if these would stay centered on the board or if they would end up just pulling the skin to the side because they are hinged. http://bit.ly/9vT9cI

My other thought would be to put two grommets in the skin about .5" from the back of the skin then put a loop of shock cord through these that could loop around the ski. This method seems super easy but I am worried that 1) the shock cord won't hold well enough around the ski that it will just slip down and 2) the shock cord will just wear out quickly on the edges.

Does anyone have any feedback on any of these methods or what has worked for you and the longevity of it?

Thanks a lot!!!

Post subject: Re: Tail clips
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:10 am 

i use the g3 adjustable tailclips that come on the alpinits skins. You need to tie a small loop to the metal tail clip bracket on the skins and loop this over the splitboard tailclip and bolt. This stops it from slipping off. But using the new g3 twin tip connectors could be just as good. i try get some pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:22 pm 

yeah some pictures would be great. My concern with the new g3 twin tip piece is that it would pull the skin to the side instead of keeping it in the middle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:50 pm 

These work great for me... cheap and easy
http://www.backcountry.com/store/cpi/31283/Homemade-Tail-Clips-for-tractor-skins.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 pm 

I have added the G3 Twin Tip Connector http://www.genuineguidegear.com/gear/accessories/twin-tip-connectors to my Voile Tracker Skins as a tail clip. Works great on a short skin up Snowmass. No side-pulling, as I mounted the G3 tail-kit straight (in line with the skin/ski) 1/3 off from center.

I will follow-up with pics after more testing (skinning up Snowmass). :clap: :D

Venture Storm R 163 (2010) with Dynafit Bindings, F1 Scarpa Boots, Snowpro Race Plate Bindings * Nitro Retro Swallowtail 171 (DIY Splitboard), Burton Fish 156 * Vans BOA "Klutch" Step-in Snowboard Boot and Switch X Bindings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:47 am 

pictures

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:28 am 

Southparksplitnek found a G3 tail clip kit that actually works quite well for splitboard skins. It allows you to oppose the two clips for a very solid looking connection.

It is the kit linked to above.

http://www.genuineguidegear.com/gear/accessories/twin-tip-connectors

That is what I would roll with. I am getting a set for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:59 am 

I bought BD's tail clips and have used them succesfully for a while now. It's simple and easy to do... the notch on the board took only a second and it's purely cosmetic... the metal edge is still there... it's only thinner... just enough to hold tension from the clip

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8407&p=61116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:11 pm 

Does anyone know if the G3s work with the BD tail kit. I've been told that it should work, but was wondering if anyone has tried it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:40 pm 

shoestring wrote:
Does anyone know if the G3s work with the BD tail kit. I've been told that it should work, but was wondering if anyone has tried it?

Why would it need to work with a BD tail kit when it's a G3 tail kit? You got everything you need to attach it to your skins with what G3 provides. It will also work with Black Diamond skins if that was what you were getting at.

All I can say about the G3 kit is that it looks pretty professional. No stupid strings or some other kind of after market jury rig innovation. The two clips oppose against each other and are very secure. By far the best diy kit I've seen for this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:17 pm 

The clips are sold on their own (i.e., without the tail strap attachment) just as they are shown on the G3 link above. G3 makes a tail kit, but I already bought the BD tail kit before deciding to try to use the G3 clips. I have been told be a shop in Tahoe that they will work with the BD tail kit but just haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:07 pm 

The G3 attachments do work with the BD STS Tailclip kit. I have the setup rockin now and i must say it works great! No problems with peeling skins even on a rockered board! :guinness:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 pm 

Thanks - I am definitely going to give them a try...